“Generally great; a few glitches to be worked out yet” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Free use of Spa Facility
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
New York City, New York
“Generally great; a few glitches to be worked out yet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

The new owners have now had a couple of years to build a nice new spa and begin to put their mark on the property, and although we had a generally lovely time there as this is very fine hotel, there were a few glitches worth mentioning. First, the good: the place really looks like a castle and feels like a B&B, although it has the advantage of a luxury hotel with an excellent restaurant, room service, and nicely appointed common areas. The grounds are eye-catching, and probably really nice in the warmer months (we were there for New Year's and it was frigid though). Free valet parking is nice, and most services were up to snuff for a hotel in this price range. Now that bad: the TV guest services and on-demand features didn't work at all for our entire stay. The staff seemed genuinely perplexed as to how to use or fix this, and blamed the "company" (I guess Direct TV?) for not supporting their service properly. I find this more and more nowadays, which hotel managers putting impressive high end tech in the rooms that the staff actually has no idea how to really use or troubleshoot, and the tech support is woefully inadequate. Probably a disconnect between corporate and the boots on the ground, who don't want to look bad by being honest with management that they either need more training or better tech support. To their credit, the staff did provide us with lots of DVDs after we complained, and the DVD player worked fine. The TV in the workout area next to the spa was equally a disaster, and channel changing function was intermittent, again without the staff being able to fix. The pod coffee maker in the room also would have been nice, but it didn't work either, and instead produced a pale dishwater-like liquid. Also the free replenishments of soft drinks and beer in the minibar were a nice touch, but the drinks were actually NOT replenished as promised (although they were promptly replenished after we complained). The building is a bit cool, as I suppose castles are notorious for. I was comfortable but my wife was cold. In all, a pretty unique, generally very comfortable property for a quick getaway from the city, which will probably become outstanding once the glitches are worked out.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
New Hartford, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We just returned from a wedding held at this fabulous establishment. From the moment we pulled up to the door until we sadly departed the staff was fantastic. The hotel is beautifully decorated throughout. The room was inviting and the bed extremely comfortable. If you have the opportunity to try this place out don't hesitate!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Brittney B, Public Relations Manager at Castle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Good afternoon,

We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your time at the Castle during Mr. & Mrs. Lutz's wedding on December 14. It was a pleasure to serve you and your family! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Castle soon! Have a wonderful holiday and a happy and healthy new year!
Berkeley Heights, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Couldn't fit in any more superlatives in the Title for this review so let me do it here. WOW! OUTSTANDING, AWESOME, etc. Having traveled a bit in my lifetime and been soooo disappointed in the level of service at any property (low-end or upscale) in the US or abroad, I can’t say enough about the level of service at the Castle. Sure it's pricey but having been to many pricey places that cannot light a candle to this Castle I appreciate this property. From the valet personnel to the door person, front desk person, and everyone we past in the hallways, we were greeted, asked if we needed anything and had everybody at our beckoned call...isn't that what a castle is all about.

The valet who grabbed our bags then parked our car then handed off our luggage to the person who placed it in our suite while we enjoyed a complimentary welcome drink, to the person who came and got us and walked us to the suite....to the front desk person who already knew our names and our room #, to the servers at the Equus restaurant, to the staff at the spa,,, I give a heartfelt thank you. You guys are great. I give a heartfelt thank you as well to the people who trained you and who trained them. You really have your act together!!!

Suites are pricey but we found that the junior suites (and there's nothing really 'junior' about them) are luxurious and well appointed. Try to get suite #5 (a corner suite with two sided windows) at the end of the 2nd floor hallway.

The Equus restaurant is a superlative unto itself. However, it has what I would consider a limited menu so go online beforehand to make sure you're satisfied with the offerings. If you are I can assure everyone that the presentation, preparation, and ingredients to what you see on the menu will astound you. Kudos to the Chef (chefs). Service for dinner was superb in spite of the fact that they were almost full. Thank you Michael!

The Spa, Thann Sanctuary, was low key, relaxing and according to my significant other, gave the best facial she ever had in her entire life!! The staff was absolutely delightful and talented!

Also, a big point to picky travelers, no one we ran across had their proverbial handout for gratuities. They made you feel that they honestly were just looking out for your utmost convenience and comfort. I couldn't drop a napkin, or sneeze, or carry my luggage out of my room during my checkout without someone standing by to help. And more importantly, they managed to do so without seeming like they were doing it just for the tip, if you know what I mean.

All I can say, if you can afford it, go there and enjoy a few days of being Kings or Queens at the Castle at Tarrytown.

Way to go management!!!

Now for my complaints: No TV in the bathroom; One Size Fits All Robes (ask your customers how tall they are, your robe felt like a bikini for me; Ask you customers how big their feet are, I'm a size 12, your slippers felt like a blister pad on my feet!!!
(though I am half serious, accept this as being humor not criticism)

Room Tip: Go for the Junior Suites!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Good morning afternoon,

It was a pleasure celebrating your 25th wedding anniversary on Friday, November 23 here at Castle Hotel & Spa! We want to thank you for providing us with a beautiful review on trip advisor and are so glad to hear you enjoyed your dinner in Equus and especially your waiter Michael! We also are glad that Mrs. Kardashinetz was among the first to experience our brand new luxurious THANN Sanctuary Spa. It is the first of its kind in the united states and we are so glad you enjoyed your facial with Bohumila. I want to wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoy the rest of the holiday season. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Castle soon!

PS- My favorite room in the Castle is the Castle Junior suite, I think it has the best views on property overlooking the New York City Skyline, Westchester County & the Palisades!
Kitchener
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

My wife and I and another couple went down to Sleepy Hollow/Tarrytown for Halloween (what else?). We staid at the Castle Hotel and Spa in Tarrytown. This was a great decision on our part. The hotel and grounds are absolutely beautiful. The building itself is a 19th century mansion, and they have been able to retain its ambiance.The staff were very friendly and helpful, and I got the general impression they would do anything for you to make your stay enjoyable. The rooms were well appointed and comfortable. We had a complimentary breakfast every morning which was delicious. Since we were out and about, we never had the opportunity to have dinner at the hotel. We certainly will give it a try when we go back, which we are already planning to do next year. Can't say enough about this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Brittney B, Public Relations Manager at Castle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Good afternoon,

Thank you for your wonderful review and we are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Castle. You came at a beautiful time to tour the Hudson valley and see all of what we have to offer in the fall. The team at Castle Hotel & Spa looks forward to you returning and finding the time to enjoy our fine dining restaurant, Equus. Have a wonderful day and we look forward to your next visit!

914-524-6390
Augusta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We drove to The Castle from Hyde Park in no time, so it's a great base from which to go to the Culinary Institute for lunch or the FDR home or museum for a quick visit. The Castle staff is superb. They did not miss a beat. Our room was spacious with a great bathroom in which two people can easily get ready at the same time. We were greeted with a glass of champagne when we checked in and had a fridge in the room stocked with soft drinks and water. We met friends there for drinks and dinner. There is a separate bar where you can hear yourselves talk with a nice, sophisticated atmosphere with great bartenders and staff. Our dinner was excellent with a wide variety from which to choose, and the service was top-notch again. I made use of the fitness facility, and there is a full spa that I did not use but will next time. The history of the place is very interesting, and it was conveniently located to Woodberry Common Outlets and fairly close to West Point, where we were meeting for a reunion. I highly recommend The Castle.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Brittney B, Public Relations Manager at Castle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Good afternoon Mrs. Mendoza,
Thank you for you wonderful review on Trip Advisor. It was our pleasure to welcome you and to celebrate your birthday at Castle Hotel & Spa on Septembr 19! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Castle to experience THANN Sanctuary. Have a wonderful day!

Phone: 914 524-6390 – Fax: 914 524-6367
Brittney@castlehotelandspa.com
Westchester County, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This was a very comfortable friendly hotel, with helpful caring staff and very good food. The room was spacious with good seating and well appointed bathroom. The fruit at breakfast was unusually good and there were delicious fresh baked tiny moreish baked goods. Dinner was excellent

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Good morning,

It was a pleasure welcoming you and your family to the Castle Hotel & Spa. We want to thank you for providing us with a beautiful review on trip advisor and are so glad to hear you enjoyed your dinner in Equus and our fresh fruit and home made pastries at breakfast! I want to wish you a wonderful Holiday season and a healthy and happy New Year! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Castle soon!

400 Benedict Avenue, Tarrytown, NY 10591
Phone: 914 524-6390 – Fax: 914 524-6367
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We went this summer to the castle to escape the NYC heat. The location was very good since it was only an hour away but felt far enough outside the city and the air was much better. The breakfasts were very nice and delicious.

The reason for the average rating is because I didn't particularly like the service especially the welcome receptionist. I thought the rooms were mediocre especially the small windows. I thought the price was high. Finally I said it was our anniversary when I booked the hotel and we never received any special attention. The spa was not open.

If you are looking to leave the city during the summer this could be a good option, but I do think they could be doing a better job having such an amazing property!

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Castle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!