“Our favorite restaurant!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 56 Restaurants in Tarrytown
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
“Our favorite restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and I went here for dinner about 10 years ago. Since then, we've been going back regularly for lunch and dinner, now with our 2 children (2 and 5 yr old). It's our favorite restaurant for the food, service, and friendly staff. We'll keep coming back!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Turkish first
“Fantastic Restaurant!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I was in Tarrytown on business and frequently use tripadvisor for finding places to eat. I did not initially pick this place because I thought the menu might be a bit plain, but the place I did pick was no longer there. This place was very crowded so we thought we would try it, and boy am I glad we did! The furniture and menu were a bit cheap looking, but as we browsed the back side of the menu, we were quickly impressed by the selection. The owner came over immediately, and we discussed what he thought were the best things on the menu (I wanted to try everything and couldn't make up my mind). He recommended the grilled octopus, which we ordered. I also wanted to try the Taramosalata (caviar mousse) so we ordered both. For dinner my associate and I both ordered the lamb chops. The octopus was fantastic! I have had octupus salads and some cooked, but never anything like this. It had a charred flavor and a much nicer consistency than other octopus I have had. Clearly the best octopus I have ever had and maybe one of the best appetizers I have ever had. The caviar mousse was also fantastic. The owner told us that when he goes to barbeques (like at a friends house), this is what he always takes. The salads were great too. They were large, full of good ingredients and had a nice dressing. The dressing was a bit creamier than the typical greek dressing, and much better I thought. Lamb chops were excellent as well and the brocolli on the side was spiced interestingly. For dessert, the owner recommended the Galaktoboureko, which is a custard between layers of phylo dough. My associate wanted to try the baklava as well, so we ordered both and split. Both were excellent, but the Galaktoboureko was the better in my opinion. The owner was constantly at our table and was very friendly, the service was astonishingly fast (could hardly keep up with the speed at which things came out) and the prices were modest. This was one of the best restaurant meals I have had in a long time.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Gyro on Hudson”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

If you're looking for someplace convenient & interesting to dine when visiting this charming & historic river town on the Hudson, lively Lefteris, at the corner of the major cross streets, is a good bet. Heaping plates of traditional Greek food - from lamb gyros to salads chock full of olives & feta - will satisfy the hungriest diner & usually there are leftovers to take home for a tasty midnight snack. Service is fast & friendly & the price is right.

When we visited recently, it was delightful to see patrons of all nationalities seated at tables, covered with blue & white tablecloths, while enjoying their culinary trip to the Greek isles.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ossining
“In response to the young lady who commented on finding a bug in her food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Hopefully, the three young ladies in this restaurant can recall that I was seated directly behind them when this incident occurred. I too, am not a person who likes to write reviews, however, Lefteris gyro has been my favorite place for over a decade, and since my presence coincided with the event at hand, I find it necessary to comment as well. Indeed, the ladies had the misfortune of finding what is called an aphid on their salad. The young lady who found the salad was quite understanding with the entire issue, however, her friend , the girl , who Im assuming wrote the review, called the manager over. He was quite startled and if I might add rather upset to see that indeed there was a bug was in the salad. From the entire conversation , I honestly got the impression that the manager was more so implying that it wasn't OK, and I got this solely from his apologetic tone and courteous manner towards the three ladies. I truly understand how one can become upset which such an incident , but there are certain things people should always take into prospective before they begin verbally clobbering an accredited establishment. Lefteris gyro has been around for many years and this automatically implies years of experience. Its a restaurant that upholds a great reputation primarily due to its excellence in both hygiene and quality. An establishment which easily maintains such high standards and, for so many years, only means that one bad incident shouldn't define it! The remaining reviews on this site alone, justify this great little Greek place in Tarrytown. I recommend it eminently to those who haven't tried. For those who have...well they keep coming back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Port Chester
“BUG IN FOOD: Lefteris Gyro on Main Street in Tarrytown NY”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This afternoon I had the DISPLEASURE of dinning at this “establishment” (to Lefteris Gyro on Main Street in Tarrytown NY ) with 3 co-workers. We all ordered the same Greek salad-while we were eating we discovered a HUGE bug sitting in one of our salads looking back at us! We were floored-immediately we asked for a manager-when the manager came over we pointed out the rather large insect glaring at us from the sea of salad and olives in our bowl and we were told “O that is a vegetable bug…that’s normal” WAIT DID HE JUST SAY NORMAL????????? The manager’s demeanor suggested that he could care less and would rather have us up and out of the table so the next “bug eating victims” can be seated. I have been eating salads for most of my adult life (no need to mention my age here) and I have NEVER seen a vegetable bug! We then asked if the Health Department would consider this “normal” at which time we tossed some cash on the table for the waiter advised the manager that we would NOT be paying NOR would we be revisiting this dump and left! I normally do not write reviews however I rely heavily upon them when choosing a place to dine. Unless you are looking for extra protein in your meal I would NOT advise going to Lefteris Gyro on Main Street in Tarrytown NY!!!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere