“Requested a room for two guests, but about 100 showed up” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson East Syracuse

Save Saved
You added Howard Johnson East Syracuse to your Saves list
Howard Johnson East Syracuse
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   6590 Thompson Road North, NY Thruway I-90 Exit 35, Syracuse, NY 13206   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #24 of 30 hotels in Syracuse
Pittsfield
“Requested a room for two guests, but about 100 showed up”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I arrived around 9:00pm and had to hunt down someone to check me in. It took about 10 minutes of walking up and down the hallways saying "hello" before the Innkeeper came out. I was asked to fill out a hand written invoice (even though I prepaid online and everything should have been in the computer, but I was told most people just don't show up, so they don't bother printing your receipt for you). The room was cheap, so I didn't expect a 5-star resort. There were funky smells in the hallways and the walls were paper thin. I could hear what tv show the person next door was watching. When I said I requested a room for two, and about 100 showed up, I am talking about the ants running around the bathroom floors. There were tons of them. I couldn't see if there were in any in the room because of the carpet, but I am sure their were. The wall paper was pealing off. We only got two towels. It is was really gross. The bed was extremely uncomfortable and I was extremely tired from driving 8 hours so I thought it wouldn't matter, but it did. I barely slept at all. Checking out, again I had to hunt down someone at the front desk to help me. There was a line of about 5 people waiting for 15 minutes to check out. Not a well run hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Saint John, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed at the Howard Johnson East Syracuse while driving through NY state, the close proximity to I-90 is great for travelers - close to several hotels located near exit 35.

Our family of five had a long day of driving and needed a clean place to stay, we try to chose a known brand that offers free breakfast as it simplifies the morning process with three younger children.

We checked in using a 'hotel coupon' and we able to secure a very good rate, the check in process was quick, efficient, and staff was accommodating. This property has two buildings, both are two story. We were assigned room 213 in the main building, on the second floor. Unless you are a smoker I do not recommend staying on the second floor - this is half smoking and the hall smelled heavily of new and stale smoke. Additionally there is no ventilation/AC in the hallways, so the air was humid and 'thick'. There is a set of fire doors in the middle of the hall, however they were let open in an effort to cool the hall in the hot July heat. The hall and guest doors show evidence of past abuses, heavily marked and dented.

The room was as clean as it could be (apart from a pair of ear buds from a previous guest), the beds were clean, firm, with minimal sag. The fixtures were 'tired' but all functioned properly, the age of the room was showing and was evident due to wallpaper patches, dents and scratches. The AC unit worked, however only on one speed and the room took some time to cool.

Breakfast consisted of cereals, bagels, pastries, hot waffles, coffee and juices. It was good, nothing missing from 3 - 3.5 star hotel class of complimentary breakfast. Good way to start the day.

While I would not go out of my way to stay here again, I would consider it for a night if in the area if the price was right.

Room Tip: If you stay in the main building & are a non smoker request a first floor room. The second floor...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Howard Johnson East Syracuse? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Howard Johnson East Syracuse

Address: 6590 Thompson Road North, NY Thruway I-90 Exit 35, Syracuse, NY 13206
Location: United States > New York > Finger Lakes > Syracuse
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Wheelchair access
Ranked #24 of 30 hotels in Syracuse
Hotel Class:1.5 star — Howard Johnson East Syracuse 1.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Wyndham, Expedia, Priceline, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Howard Johnson East Syracuse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Ramada Limited University/Carrier Circle Hotel Syracuse
Ramada Hotel Syracuse
Ramada Motel Syracuse
Ramada Syracuse

If you own or manage Howard Johnson East Syracuse, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.