“Run before they GOTCHA!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center

You added Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   801 University Ave, Syracuse, NY 13210   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Syracuse
Michigan
“Run before they GOTCHA!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Been here for business several times, same deal each time. Just not the good kind of reproducibility. Indeed, a dated property with cosmetic updates. It appears very clean, and the carpets are immaculate compared to other hotels--which is usually a really good sign in a hotel--but, bottom line, nothing really works here. GOTCHA!

You arrive at the airport and there's a free shuttle offered, but they don't advertise on the courtesy board and by the time they get out there on demand, you can be there by taxi. So it's free, nominally, but in reality GOTCHA!

You check in and then leave the spacious lobby and go upstairs to the floor wing exposed to the wind. So your room is whistling all the time. OK, I can live with that, the weather's not their fault. But then you realize after a while that the temperature is extreme in the room and the fan is running hard, but the controls won't do anything.GOTCHA!

Then you fire up your laptop to get on to the free Wifi. The computer finds a strong radio signal, but you futz forever trying to get the thing to actually connect. Turns out, if you go to the lobby or use the computer late at night, it's OK but good luck any other time. GOTCHA!

The lobby and meeting areas seem to be perennially filled with students from the college just hanging out, seems like it's a supplement to the campus library. GOTCHA, unless that's what you came here for.

Try making a call with the landline in your room. Look real quick for a notice of free 800 calls, don't see any kind of notice, figure you're OK or small fee. Pick up the phone and futz with the difficult buttons to dial. Enjoy your bill when it's $2 for even the shortest 800 number called. GOTCHA.

Bottom line, if you need a hotel that makes your arrival experience with their airport shuttle easy, a comfortable room that does not have major noise or climate control problems, working internet, or reasonable incidental fees, go elsewhere, as I suspect most business travelers will. If you need a place on campus and just to sleep for something in town on a weekend, you'll likely be OK if you get the room at a good price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SyracuseHotelMgr, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear traveler99Michigan:

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am sorry to learn of all the problems you experienced.

In December we upgraded our wifi service in an attempt to provide our guests greater bandwidth and better address the needs of today's wireless technology. However we have experienced some sporadic challenges. We are working with the vendor to ensure that this addressed as quickly as possible.

I am sorry that you felt you were being taken advantage of when using our telephone service. That certainly was not our intention. The charges are listed on a card placed on the desk. It is possible that the card may have been missing when you looked. I will follow up with housekeeping as a general reminder.

I am somewhat confused about your comments related to the students. As a member of the University community we often welcome students attending events at the hotel. Last week, there was an orientation event that was taking place in the hotel. I apologize if you were inconvenienced by their presence in the hotel. I can assure you we expect appropriate behavior from all of our guests and we have procedures in place to monitor this. However, we are not the library and like all visitors we do not allow loitering in our lobby or other places.

Again - I do thank you for your feedback. We take this very seriously and I have shared your comments with the entire management team in an attempt to improve any deficiencies our guests experience.

If I can be of further assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights while in town for a dog show at the fairgrounds. We found the hotel very late 80's in decor and style - little windows - typical sheraton decor.

Restaurant was pretty good - above average food - great servers and not overpriced

hotel is located pretty central to the campus and easy to get in and out of and parking is extremely convenient

Front desk staff were friendly and overly helpful

The mattress in our room was awful - we asked for it to be changed - we are not sure if they did or not as it was not really better that evening.

We would stay here again, and they were very welcoming with our dog - even brought us the sheraton dog bed and bowls for the room!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
SyracuseHotelMgr, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear CormarToronto,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, regarding your recent stay. While I am glad that you found the staff and the service met you needs, I am sorry to learn that your bed was uncomfortable. As you may know Sheraton prides itelf on the Sweet Sleeper bedding and I am sorry that you did not experience that.

Again - thank you for sharing your experience and if I can be of any further assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Dir of Hotel Operations
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Nice Sheraton, very nice hotel for a city of this size. Slept well in the rooms which have walls that insulate the nearby sounds (i.e. quiet rooms). The hotel is close to campus and many hospitals/health professional schools. The breakfast buffet was very good and only somewhat overpriced as opposed to ridiculously overpriced as most large hotels like this are.

The hotel is expensive so be warned, but it is nice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear hamptondragon,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on your recent stay. We appreciate all of the feedback that we receive and I am glad that we were able to meet your needs.

Happy New Year,
Dir of Hotel Operations
Buffalo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed for one night in a very comfortable room, well-equipped with electrical outlets (although one was non-functional), free WI-FI, a radio with decent sound (increasingly hard to find in hotels these days), a comfortable bed, and plenty of drawer and closet space. I made the mistake of ordering room service dinner and was subjected to a truly awful veal parmigiana; the meat was utterly tasteless and was so tough that I gave up trying to cut it and resorted to stabbing the hunk with my fork and gnawing on it like a cave woman. The accompanying salad was ok, though. If the food had been acceptable, I'd have given five stars.
The exercise room was well equipped, but it did not have a changing room attached to it, so I had to change into my gym clothes in the lobby Ladies room and then walk across the lobby to the gym. This wasn't a dreadful tragedy, but as a 65 year old woman, I prefer not to have to traipse around in hotel lobbies that way.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
SyracuseHotelMgr, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear TheFrogLady:

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay at the Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel. We appreciate all of the feedback that we receive.

Please accept my apologies that your room service meal was less than acceptable. I have shared your remarks with our Director of Food & Beverage and I am certain that he will follow up with the appropriate staff members.

I am glad that your guest room accomodations met your needs and that you found your room to be comfortable.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Dir. of Operations
Ottawa, ON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We spent a night here while visiting Syracuse and carring out some outlets shopping. Hotel is right on the University campus. Parking cost about $13 but you can go in an out and stay all day on day of departure. We stayed on club floor room was quiet and comfortable and had chairs with a cute little ottoman. Overall a well maintained hotel, pleasant staff

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear MandLD,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with the Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit to Central New York. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Dir. of Operations
Acton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

If you're staying in Syracuse, this is a good choice. I stay there most of the time as I am a Starwood member and like the Sheraton hotels. I think this is a good location in Syracuse, a town where there are few really nice hotels.

If you can do the concierge level, you can get a decent buffet breakfast, which is nice and doesn't require table service, which you get downstairs.

This hotel is across the street from Starbucks, which is convenient.

There are workstations downstairs if you need to use a computer and printer.

Room Tip: Try club level.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SyracuseHotelMgr, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Pascal482,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor! I appreciate your feedback and I thank you for highlighting some of the things that makes the Sheraton Syracuse a great place to stay.

We hope to welcome you back to Syracuse soon!

Warmest Regards,
Dir. of Hotel Operations
Jamestown, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This was a very convenient location for an event we were attending in the Carrier Dome. The room was very nice, beds were comfortable and the room was clean. Check-in was a nightmare. The staff had to be aware that a lot of people were checking in that day (two high school marching bands and their families were staying there), but the rooms were not ready. I first tried to check in around 2:30 and was told the room wasn't ready and to come back at 3:00 - this was understandable as their check in time isn't until 3:00. I came back at 3:00 and was told the room wasn't ready and they didn't have any idea when it would be ready. I tried again at 3:30 - still not ready. In the meantime, I wanted to get over to the Dome, so asked if the shuttle was running over there (as it was last year) and was told they didn't schedule a shuttle driver that day. Overall a good stay, but the lobby was chaos as hundreds of people were being told the rooms hadn't been cleaned yet.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
SyracuseHotelMgr, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Sue_S_8:

Thanks you for taking the time to rate our hotel and to share your experiences, we do appreciate all of the feedback we receive from our guests. Please accept my apologies for the delay in check-in for the day of the HS band competition. We clearly failed in our mission to satisfy every guest on that day.

We have discussed this process as a management team and are committed to handling this event differently in the future.

Thanks again for your response!

Best Regards,
Dir. of Hotel Operations

Been to Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!