“Quality hotel, great rooms, excellent location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center

You added Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   801 University Ave, Syracuse, NY 13210   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Syracuse
Acton, Massachusetts
“Quality hotel, great rooms, excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

If you're staying in Syracuse, this is a good choice. I stay there most of the time as I am a Starwood member and like the Sheraton hotels. I think this is a good location in Syracuse, a town where there are few really nice hotels.

If you can do the concierge level, you can get a decent buffet breakfast, which is nice and doesn't require table service, which you get downstairs.

This hotel is across the street from Starbucks, which is convenient.

There are workstations downstairs if you need to use a computer and printer.

Room Tip: Try club level.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SyracuseHotelMgr, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Pascal482,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor! I appreciate your feedback and I thank you for highlighting some of the things that makes the Sheraton Syracuse a great place to stay.

We hope to welcome you back to Syracuse soon!

Warmest Regards,
Dir. of Hotel Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Jamestown, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This was a very convenient location for an event we were attending in the Carrier Dome. The room was very nice, beds were comfortable and the room was clean. Check-in was a nightmare. The staff had to be aware that a lot of people were checking in that day (two high school marching bands and their families were staying there), but the rooms were not ready. I first tried to check in around 2:30 and was told the room wasn't ready and to come back at 3:00 - this was understandable as their check in time isn't until 3:00. I came back at 3:00 and was told the room wasn't ready and they didn't have any idea when it would be ready. I tried again at 3:30 - still not ready. In the meantime, I wanted to get over to the Dome, so asked if the shuttle was running over there (as it was last year) and was told they didn't schedule a shuttle driver that day. Overall a good stay, but the lobby was chaos as hundreds of people were being told the rooms hadn't been cleaned yet.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
SyracuseHotelMgr, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Sue_S_8:

Thanks you for taking the time to rate our hotel and to share your experiences, we do appreciate all of the feedback we receive from our guests. Please accept my apologies for the delay in check-in for the day of the HS band competition. We clearly failed in our mission to satisfy every guest on that day.

We have discussed this process as a management team and are committed to handling this event differently in the future.

Thanks again for your response!

Wynantskill, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Beware the first trip up on the elevator. You will need your room key to enable use of the elevator. Yes, there is a fairly unnoticeable sign explaining this above the floor buttons, but when you have luggage, workshop materials and the key stowed in a pocket, this is a frustration. It is easily remedied by staff simply telling you about this! For an upscale hotel, this is a major oversight. The hotel was also the site for a company workshop which I presented. Staff were amazing, especially compared with the other city's hotel and staff. Everything was in one room. Staff checked to be sure everything was acceptable, before, during and after the event. When the room was too cold, the temperature was immediately adjusted. Great service!

Dear HopeLady:

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of our hotel. I am glad that your workshop was success and that our service met your expectations!

I understand your comments regarding the elevator, with hands full, executing the lock can be cumbersome. I have shared your remarks with our front office supervisors. Clearly, this is an important communication piece prior to sending guests over to the elevator. I am sorry that that was not conveyed to you.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

It is very convenient if you are here to go to the university since it is just across the street. The rooms are large and ours had a frig. The bathroom was updated and the beds were comfortable with plenty of pillows. Needed one more lamp to light the whole room and one more luggage rack but would certainly stay here again. Was here for a 3 day conference and had breakfast and lunch everyday. The food for breakfast was o.k. with the usual hot breakfast items and their lunch was good. The immediate area outside the hotel has quite a few restaurants and coffee shops so it is easy to find a place to eat. Dinosaurs restaurant is about a mile away but you do want to drive there.

Room Tip: Higher room so you can't hear the college students at night.
Dear Murrayj:

Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel and to share your feedback! I hope that you found your time here productive and comfortable and we look forward to welcoming you back to Syracuse sometime soon!

Noank, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Stayed two nights for a wedding in early Nov. Room was what you would expect from a Major hotel brand.

The staff that I dealt with were wonderful, very helpful and super friendly. Lobby printer was down and staff didn't bat an eye when I asked if they could print something out for me.

The lady at the front desk upgraded our room to a king bed even though we were booked in with the wedding block of rooms that only had double beds. (Like my father always says, never hurts to ask).

Would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
SyracuseHotelMgr, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear JA_Noank:

Thank you for telling us about your recent stay at the Sheraton in Syracuse. I am glad that your stay was "excellent." I will certainly share your comments with our associates.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Warmest Reagrds,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I have stayed at the Sheraton every other year for several years for a statewide conference. It has been consistently comfortable, with excellent, friendly staff. Spacious rooms and comfortable beds, with large bathrooms and an excellent desk set up for the business traveler. Pillows are less comfortable ... Overly firm and stuffed. The HVAC does not adjust easily ... Yes I could raise and lower my desired temperature, but it did not accomplish anything. Fortunately, the windows open ... A rarity in this type of building. Wireless works well and is included in the room rate. Thank you for not charging extra! The airport shuttle is convenient and a great amenity for the business traveler. Great location for the university and fun shops, restaurants right near by!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear DCDoctor,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We do value your loyalty! We are looking at the upcoming replacement of the guest room HVAC units in the next several months. One of the things we do hear from our guests is that they cannot easily control the temperature. We hope to improve this dramatically!

We look forward to welcoming youj bcak in the future.

Cape Elizabeth, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have been staying at this hotel for many years when I have the occasion to visit Syracuse. My father is in a nursing home nearby so I try to visit every few months. I also grew up in the area and have other friends and family in the area. I returned home this evening from my most recent visit. Although they have done remodeling on some floors and public areas, the 7th (out of 9) floor(s), or at least my room, was passed over. When I checked in I asked if the room they assigned me was near the elevators. I have stayed at this hotel dozens+ of times so they actually have my preferences on file. The front desk assured me my room was "toward the middle of the hallway", thus not near the elevators. Well - the elevators were directly across from this room so I went back downstairs and explained their error. A manager was called and while he was arranging for a room further away from the elevators he lectured me on the fact that the original room was not technically near the elevators as it was across the hallway and not immediately adjacent to them. He also told me that their elevators essentially make no noise and that he has never had anyone object - then he handed me my new keys. Most times over the many years I have stayed at this hotel they had almost always upgraded me to the club level floor (9) and when that was not available they ALWAYS gave me admittance to the club level lounge. I don't think it matters what floor they put you on as all the rooms are pretty much the standard middle of the road Sheraton rooms. Don't get me wrong, I have stayed at many Sheraton's across the USA and in Italy, Spain and The UK and there are truly some spectacular hotels under their family of flags. This hotel is actually owned by the University and was built as your standard cookie cutter cost effective (to the owner) short stay property. Nothing particularly wrong with that - it is what it is. So - a friend and I went up to the club lounge and had a few beverages and some meatballs and sausage - cheeses - modest but it tasted fine. We chatted with the attendant - left a good tip and went on our way. The following morning I went up for breakfast and had a very good meal. The attendant recognized me (from being there dozens of times before) and asked how my father was doing. Oh - by the way - the beverages in the club lounge were free until sometime this summer. The prices are still half of what you might pay at a bar but - access IS based on their loyalty program so........... They also charge $13 per night for parking - loyalty program member or not - which might sound picky - but it is SYRACUSE NY - there is free parking all over the place - although anything slightly off the immediate campus area is perhaps not the optimal area to leave your vehicle overnight. So, I go back to the club lounge the next evening - the doors are closed - and neither of my keys worked. I went down the 9 floors to the front desk - explained the situation - and was told that the club level lounge was "only for Platinum members". I said that I was surprised by that and asked when that policy had taken effect. She said that it had been "at least 6 years". Well - again - as a semi frequent guest that had not been my experience. If they did not have an upgrade room for me to the club floor - they would tell me that I was not on the club floor but had access to the club lounge - which was fine. But now - since I tend to stay on points most of the time - I was CLEARLY made to feel that I had overstayed my welcome. As a "Gold Preferred Starwood Member" that usually uses points at this particular venue (7,000) I am apparently not the kind of "guest" they are interested in having. I did order room service toward the end of my stay - I ordered two bowls of fresh fruit and one bowl of yogurt - they arrived with two bowls of yogurt and no fruit - but were very gracious about correcting the order at no additional charge as well. Easily my best experience on this most recent and certainly final visit. The room service waitress said to just put the tray on the floor in the hallway outside and they would come retrieve it. I set it there around lunch time when I left the room for the day and it was still there after 9 pm. The housekeeping is not bad - but it is not good either - dust on most flat surfaces - bits of whatever on various areas of the carpeting - etc. Some of the reasons I say this
was my last visit to this hotel are: I did not get the impression that any of the employees had even the mildest interest in being there (except for the club lounge guys who were very good); the front desk staff are condescending and dismissive; most but not all of the housekeeping staff can't be bothered to return a simple "Hello" and a smile and Syracuse as a city is hurting big time in a number of areas - meaning - you can go on line (price line or whatever) and get a hotel superior to the Sheraton for $45 - with free parking - in a much safer area. If you want to be super close to the campus - there are roughly 4 or 5 choices - and the Sheraton is by no means horrible - they have, apparently, decided that guests staying using points are guests they would rather not accommodate. I rated the "sleep quality" as poor for two reasons. They have no mechanism on the doors to the room to keep them from slamming - so............... and the HVAC within the room - seriously - turns on and off several times a minute - all day and all night.

Room Tip: Odd number rooms face the Carrier Dome, Crouse College, Newhouse, Etc. - pretty nice view all and al...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
SyracuseHotelMgr, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear MelvinBarry,

Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel and to share your feedback about your recent stay. I have shared your comments with our management team and I am hopeful that this can be used to improve our operation. Please understand our goal is to exceed the expectations of our guests each time they stay with us and I am sorry that we failed in this case.

If I can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Dir. of Hotel Operations

Been to Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!