“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Syracuse
Ottawa
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

From the outside, this place doesn't look very charming. However, the rooms were fantastic, modernly decorated and well sized. The bathroom is a bit small, but all that one needs. There's free WiFi Internet in the lobby and free parking on site.

The staff was really friendly. The only negative, is there's not much around, few restaurants and looks a bit scary at night.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Clifton Park, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

We stayed at this hotel after a winning bid on priceline. It was a fantastic value for the price we paid.

Pros:
Champagne check-in.
Helpful staff.
Free Garage Parking.
Modern Decor.
Rain Shower.
Comfy bed with tons of pillows.
Funky shaped building- it's a circle so veiws from every room.
Less than a mile from Armory Square and easy access to all the major roads.

Cons:
We could hear I81 from the 12th floor.
The heating system was pretty loud and would kick on an off during the night.
Where's the mini bar?

All and all it was a great hotel for the money and we're looking forward to staying here again!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

Originally booked my reservation at Embassy Suites in the area. That property botched the reservation and its staff was unprofessional in addressing the problem, so I book this Renaissance property at the last minute. Turned out to be a very positive experience and I wish I had booked with them in the first place.

Pros and cons: The hotel is an older building but I understand that it has been undergoing renovations for 1-2 years, and it looks good. It is one of those circular hotel designs and my feeble sense of direction was at times challenged. The rooms are of decent size, small bathrooms but nice amenities and, importantly, very comfortable beds. Also worth noting: I found my room and overall property to be very clean when I was there. As with older properties, be prepared to wait for an elevator during peak use periods. One issue: The hotel is next to a major highway. This will cause noise if you are booked by that side, (as I was), but I was able to control that by running the room fan as steady background sound. However, you will want to be aware of the highway just the same.

What I really liked about this place: The staff were on the ball, very professional, knowledgeable, and welcoming. In particular, I want to single out their evening floor manager, Josh, for his responsiveness and attentiveness. People seemed to enjoy working here. The bar and restaurant were pretty decent, I was able to relax in the lobby and the meals were good. Just this experience would make me look into booking here again for a future business trip. Other hotels in the area may want to use the Renaissance as a model of what hospitality represents.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Ottawa, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

I stayed at this hotel on April 23-25th.

Check in:
It was quick and pleasant, the hotel was at full capacity and they were not able to change my room selections from a King to a Double. They did offer to send me a cot (which ended up being a twin bed). The doorman was really friendly and helpful

Room:

Was clean and spacious and love the flat panel tv :) The bed is really comfortable, just like home and the pillow were great. The bathroom was modern looking but a bit ont he small size. It did not bother me though.

Room services:

I had to call twice to have them bring the cot but it did finally arrive.

Restaurant:

We ate at the lounge and the atmosphere is really cozt, you sit in huge comfy chairs. it was relaxing and really enjoyed it after a 5 hours drive. We had the Hamburger and it was sooo yummy and the portion was huge. The server was really friendly and the service was great! I recommend eating there

The only negative was the room service and the elevator but that is probably because th e hotel was at full capacity and a few weddings/conferences going on.

Next time I visit Syracuse I will stay at this hotel again

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Long Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

We stayed at the Renaissance during the recent NCAA tournament. I understand the hotel was booked to capacity but that is no excuse for bad service. We checked in early after flying all night and were excited that the room was ready. We left the hotel shortly after check in for the game. When we returned there had not been a turn down service. When I called downstairs to ask about it, they said they should have turned down the room. I asked for towels and they said they would send them straight up. 1.5 hours later, I went to the front desk to ask for towels, and was told housekeeping was gone and they would have to find them! 45 minutes later, we got towels to take a shower in the filthy shower. Where there was suppose to be grout, there was mildew.
We were told there was a shuttle and we were told there was not shuttle. It was just to confusing... Glad we were only there for a day.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

I've stayed at this hotel twice. I love the way the rooms are laid out and decorated -- truly first-class. The beds are really comfy too. Staff are friendly and courteous (they offered me a free glass of champagne upon arrival). It's a little pricey if you book at regular rates but there are usually excellent deals on Priceline for weekend stays. The Strong Hearts cafe, just a few doors down the street, is an excellent place to get a late-night vegan meal or an all-day vegan breakfast. Parking is always free, and for my most recent stay the wi-fi was free too (not sure why -- I think it usually costs $13/night).

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

I stayed here for one night with my wife during the Valentines Day weekend. We went primarily to do some shopping, but we wanted something downtown so we could go out for dinner. When we checked in we were offered sparkling wine and chocolate which was a nice touch. The hotel room itself was a little odd; it's a round building so the room had no outside corners. There was no bath tub, just a walk in shower with a glass door with a shower head that was fixed to the ceiling. There was a 32" flat screen TV and a nice work area in our room and the bed was very comfortable.

I have to agree with some of the other reviews that having only two small, rather slow moving elevators isn't enough. For a one night stay it's not a big deal, but if you are staying for an extended period of time it may be a bit of a nuisance.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and we would stay at the Renaissance again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!