“Let's Just Say Its close to the Highway!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Syracuse
London, United Kingdom
“Let's Just Say Its close to the Highway!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

What can I add to the previous reviews, it's more or less already been said! Our room was on the 7th floor and yes we had an awful lot of road noise, to cover this we had on the air condition unit but not sure which was worse probably the traffic noise. Having said this the staff in the restaurant were lovely and the food was good and reasonably priced. Just wish I'd read the hotels reviews a bit better and taken more notice....... Would I stay here again NO!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kelly C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Greetings 77belle,
Thank you for taking the time out to write a review about your most recent trip to Syracuse. We appreciate all feedback both positive and negative; it makes us a better hotel. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay to the fullest. Next time you visit us we can try and get you higher up or a room away from the highway if available. However, I will be sure to pass along your kind comments about our restaurant staff to the manager for him to share with everyone. Hope to see you again.
Kelly – Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed for a wedding this past weekend. The friendliest staff at the hotel. NOT at the restaurant. Gloria was out server she was moody and rude. Pretty sure she was extremely bored. Made for awkward service. The room was clean and well decorated. It was very small, but nice all the same.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Kelly C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Greetings Maria K,
Thank you for taking the time out to write a review! I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your room while staying with us and enjoyed the staff. I am terribly sorry that you were not able to enjoy your experience in the restaurant. I will be sure to pass that along to the restaurant manager so that he can use this review as a training tool. I do hope that you give us a second chance the next time you are in Syracuse.
Madrid
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

If you are expecting consistent standards and a good night´s sleep, this is not the place. The rooms, many of which face the elevated highway, accompany you with the constant noise of cars and semi trucks, unless you turn on the room AC and then you will have the blasting wall unit providing loud "background" noise all night. Although the hotel was not fully booked and I was a 4-night guest, I could not get a quiet room. I was moved from noisy room looking directly on the highway to another equally as bad. They were "so sorry" that they could not help me.
Amenities are not correctly or completely replaced - never know what you will have in the room.
The staff is friendly, but do not solve problems, just smile and say they are sorry for any inconvenience. So much for customer service!

Room Tip: Many rooms face the highway, avoid this!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear AvidTraveler987,

Thank you for taking time to post a review about our hotel. I appreciate that you have chosen our location for you recent stay and that you found our hotel staff friendly. I regret to hear though about any inconvenience that you may have had due to unwanted noise levels. We take comments such as these very seriously and rest assured that we will look into these concerns. I have forwarded your comments to our hotel management for proper action and fix.

We hope you give us a chance to host you again in the future.

Best regards,

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare
Riverside
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

So our child is graduating from Syracuse. I must book two hotel rooms for this occasion. There is a 2 night minimum at all the hotels and I finally secure two at the Crown Plaza and the price is around $425. a night per room. The rooms look out on the thruway and parking garage respectively , which are about 50 feet away. Thankfully the windows seem to have not been cleaned for months somewhat obscuring our view. We are allocated 3 bath towels for each room sleeping two people. When more towels are requested three towels are allocated for our two rooms.
When in the bathroom my husband has to step into the shower area to shut the bathroom door. The a/c unit is set so there isn't a way to control the fan. It is controlled by temperature only. Each time the unit goes on it sounds like a wind tunnel and feels like it will blow the room into the thruway. The internet connection is for free...but I can't get access. I call for help which comes in a timely manner. It turns out that the system is down for the whole hotel. The staff is upbeat and friendly, but this is a major money maker for the company and for the amount charged they are out of their league.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Greetings Branden B,
Thank you for taking the time out to write a review as well as staying with us during graduation weekend. Sorry to hear that it took so long for the towels to get to your room. On the other hand happy to hear that engineering was able to get to your room in a timely manner. Next time you find yourself in Syracuse you can always give us a call in advance and we can see if we can get you away from the highway etc and get extra towels in the room.
Montebello, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I was reading some of the reviews and I don't get it. It's Syracuse! Not Maui. What view?

I have stayed her 3 times now for different events surrounding my son attending SU. Note that I have also stayed at Sheraton, Residence Inn and Embassy Suites. The CP is the best value for the location. This hotel is walking distance to SU and has everything you need. Comfortable beds, clean rooms, nice restaurant, great bar and easy, cheap parking.

The breakfast buffet was a great deal and good options. The front desk is helpful. Yes, there is no view of whatever view people are hoping for but I go there to sleep, eat and shower. All of those are good.

The only minor (and I do mean minor...Not game changing) complaint I would have is that our maid did not give us coffee (only decaf) and she did not replenish the shampoo, which I love because it's minty.

If you have bigger expectations, go to the Plaza in New York City.

Room Tip: Rooms close to elevators are convenient but annoying when people are coming and going.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Kelly C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Greetings E M
Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Syracuse as well as your kind review! I will be sure to pass along your kind words to the rest of the staff. I will make sure my housekeeping department is placing both coffees in the rooms, I’m sorry that you only received decaf. Hope to see you soon!
Abingdon, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

We were disappointed in this Crown Plaza because we have been to several in different parts of US and have always been pleased. Our room overlooked the Interstate, but luckily we were high enough that no noise from cars and trucks. The location was great because we wanted to see the Stickley Museum and do some antique shopping so hotel convenient to interstate. We ate in restaurant and pleased with meal for a hotel restaurant. No covered walkway from hotel to parking garage and elevators confusing to get on with luggage and cart.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelly C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Greetings Susan K,
Thank you for review as well as staying with us during your trip to Syracuse. Happy to hear that the noise from the highway did not disturb you while you were sleeping. Hope you were able to find man good finds while antique shopping.
Kelly C. -- Front Office Manager
Maryland suburbs of DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

This was one of the rare times my Priceline cheapness has let me down. I booked this through an "Express Deal", and our stay has me questioning if I'll take that kind of risk in Syracuse again. Which is sad, as the purpose of our trip was the admitted student event at the university-- and my son committing to Syracuse, so we've 4 years of stays ahead of us.

My disappointment has primarily to do with the location of the room--- on the second floor, literally parallel to I-81. They'd added an additional layer of window, but the road noise was still very noticeable, especially the lovely rumble of semis. If I were staying longer, I'd have asked to move rooms. If I ever end up here again, I'll request the highest floor possible, on the east side of the hotel.

I was also disappointed by the bathroom. It was very trendy, but small and some sort of brown discoloration (or dirt?) was in the corners of the dark grey/black shower surround. Anyway, it didn't belong in a hotel of this caliber.

And, oh, they there were only two bath towels in the room, and they were scratchy. Had to ask for more, and had to call twice to get them.

So, overall the stay left me wanting- noisy, horrific view, and not as clean as I would hope.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor on the east side. (opposite the highway).
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Kelly C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Greetings SGwantsmoretravel,
Thank you for your review as well as staying with us! Congratulations to you and your son on choosing SU, we do home that you will give us another chance so that we change your mind. We would love to become your home away from home while visiting your son in college. We do have rooms away from the highway that I am sure you will find much better just ask upon arrival and we will try to do our best! Or you can call prior to arrival and well note your reservation. Hope to see you soon.
Kelly C. – Front Office Manager

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!