“Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 30 hotels in Syracuse
Syracuse, New York
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I have lived in Syracuse my whole life. The Crowne Plaza is in a really interesting (round) building that I would consider a key part of the city's skyline. I must have driven past it hundreds of times and always wanted to go inside, so for our anniversary my boyfriend and I booked a night for super cheap (can't remember the exact price, but it was online and very affordable). The inside of the hotel is just as interesting as the outside. It's fancy without making you uncomfortable and has a really modern, clean feeling to it. There's ample parking, and all staff I encountered were helpful and friendly. I didn't think we would get an option but we were asked if we wanted a low or high floor, we chose high obviously. The rooms are really comfortable and have massive windows which can have a great city view. The bathroom are what did it for me. The large, open shower with the rain head and modern glass and tiles felt very luxurious. As a local I can definitely offer some advice. If you are staying here explore the area. Syracuse has a lot more to it than meets the eye. The vegan cafe down the block is amazing, and Armory Square is really close by. There are a ton of bars, restaurants, shops and just general nightlife in the area around this hotel if you are willing to walk a few blocks, or take their shuttle. DestinyUSA is close by too and being the 6th largest mall in the country, I think it speaks for itself. The Crowne has an amazing location, great views, pleasing, modern aesthetics and an attentive staff.
Also the fact that management is seemingly replying to most of these reviews is wonderful and shows their commitment.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors or facing the city likely have more interesting views.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Emilie L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

As a local myself I can truly appreciate the feedback you have given. Thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful comments about our hotel. I am glad you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay with us on your anniversay.

Thank you again and hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Warm regards,

474 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I am a platinum traveler that recently stayed here multiple nights for business. My room was on the 18th floor. I would suggest a higher room as they give a better view of the city. On the upside, the hotel is very clean, very well kept, and the rooms are very large in size. Bathrooms are modern and well stocked, housekeeping was very good at cleaning the rooms and restocking the items, staff is very, very friendly. My room had a desk set up that was perfect for a business traveler. The room had a flatscreen TV and extra long desk piece to allow documents, etc., to be sat out. Also had just about every electicial plug/computer plug in that a person could need or want. The room also had plenty of lights and plenty of non behind the bed electrical plugs to use, which can sometimes be an issue in hotels. They also have a 24 hour airport service that is very fast and convenient. The hotel also has an onsite coffee shop and restaurant. One nice thing is the way the building is built, sort of round, gives every room a nice window view. On the downside, there isn't a whole lot around the hotel without either a cab or rented car. There are a few delivery options, however. The hotel is also convenient to the downtown area and the expressway. On the downside, the beds, while comfortable, could use better pillows. The room service was a bit expensive (I understand it is a hotel) and did not necessarily offer a great selection. The food, while always fresh and hot, was also just average. They were very fast about getting it to you, however. I do suggest the breakfast buffet downstairs in Redfields, which is very good. Also, the downstairs convenience pantry is a bit expensive, charging $2.50 for a chandy bar or granola bar. The work out facility is a little on the small side but also adequate enough to serve its purpose with a few treadmills and some free weights. Overall, a decent enough place to stay that I booked it again next month.

Room Tip: I like the higher rooms, only downside is the winter wind really blew thorugh the windows. The view...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Emilie L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I am very glad to hear about the wonderful stay you had with us. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon!

Lancaster, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Amazing rooms, comfortable beds and pillows. cool showers. Loved the set up.
Hi tech elevators are cool, read brocure or youll ride for a bit. Service was great and they were sold out. Convenient to downtown Walked to Landmark Theater in 15 mins or less

Room Tip: learn how to work hi tech elevators if you do not want to take a ride
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

I am very glad to hear about the wonderful stay you had with us. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel as well as the wonderful comments you had about our team and hotel. We hope you will come back and visit us soon!

Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We just stayed at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Syracuse on Saturday, November 17. I reserved through hotwire for a cost of $95 divided by 4 gals for a girl's weekend of shopping. Tom the shuttle bus driver was fabulous, he took us to the mall and picked us up at 9:30 pm and back to the hotel. Excellent service at the front desk and hotel lobby bar. My only comment would be the bathroom/shower area is too small. The beds are fabulous with a pillow top and so comfortable covers and we had a beautiful view from room 1512. Great key card system and elevators. It was great to have free parking and a safe place for our vehilcle. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Nice two doubles beds ... Great view from room 1512
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Emilie L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful feedback. I will be sure to let our team know what a wonderful stay you and your friends had with us. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Rooms Manager
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We went to Syracuse for a shopping weekend and planned on staying overnight. Did a quick search on Hotwire.com and found a hotel deal for well under the regular price. Of course, with Hotwire.com you don't know which hotel you'll be staying at until you've actually paid for the deal. As it turned out we'd be staying at the Crowe Plaza. We had never been there so were glad for this opportunity. It's fairly close to Destiny USA (GPS says 11 minutes). We were greeted by a very friendly and positive staff member who is obviously proud of his city and who offered amazing customer service. Crowne Plaza, you should be proud to have this young man on your team. He set us up with a nice big room on the 14th floor (the hotel has 21 or 22 floors). It was well decorated, clean, had nice bedding, WIFI, a mini fridge, a safe and the standard hotel amenities (hairdryer, iron and ironing board, toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap). My husband heard sounds from the highway traffic but I didn't hear it. The only drawback for us really was the breakfast. Being vegans the only thing we could have was a plate of fruit and toast BUT we discovered that 100 feet further on the same street is a vegan restaurant - Strong Heart. We walked over and had a delicious vegan breakfast. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the Crowne Plaza and would return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

I am very glad to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us. We are alwasy working on new menu options so I appreciate the feedback and will be sure to mention this to our Food and Beverage team. Thank you for your kind words. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Us
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Great hotel in the downtown area of Syracuse, Lots of action with someone playing a piano and such when I arrived Sat. night. I have a few complaints though. I find this hotel to be overpriced on a Saturday/Sunday as I got this on Priceline for a winning bid of $127+$26 in taxes and fees . The room served it's purpose but the view in room 713 was nothing special. The pillows are cheap in quality and made of firm hard fiber and the bed being of high quality and soft as a feather woke up with a stiff neck. The elevators suck and so does having to take a "freezing rain shower" with no water pressure at 4 am. Took another shower at around 11 and the pressure and temp was normal. Parking was easy and free which was a plus. Probably would avoid staying here on a Saturday again because of the high rate. But during the week when the rate is nearly half the amount I paid. I would consider.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

I am glad you had the opportunity to stay at our property. We are always working on new ways to improve our hotel as well as our guest satisfaction. We appreciate the feedback and look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the area.

Palm Beach, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We found this hotel to be a little weird--the elevator system is a total disaster. It's apparently meant to expedite passengers' trips but what it really does is confound them. The rooms are renovated, but it's more half renovated/half weird. The rain shower was really nice, but there isn't really much sex appeal going on here. I will say that the housekeeping staff went out of their way to retrieve a fairly valuable item I'd left behind (that had apparently fallen in the trash) and mailed it to me, which I thought was really fantastic. It's not a hotel I'd choose to go back to, though, if I could get around it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

I am very pleased to hear that housekeeping was able to help retrieve an item you had left behind. I hope that the next time you are in the area you will give us another opportunity to have a more memorable experience. Thank you for the time you took to write this review and hopefully we will see you in the furture.

cpsyracuse.com

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!