“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Syracuse
the keys
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

My daughter and I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel. I can't say how helpful and friendly the staff was to us. We loved the modern lobby and the beautiful rooms. This hotel has an interesting elevator system which involves no waiting. We loved it. One evening we were there we had a very nice dinner in their restaurant. The food was excellent and I would highly recommend it to any traveler.
My favorite part of the room was the rain shower in the bath. Just wonderful!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
General M, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Your recommendation is our greatest compliment! It is always great to hear when our guests have a fantastic experience at our hotel. I am pleased you found the staff to be friendly and helpful. We want to create a positive experience that leaves our guests wanting to come back in the future. It sounds like you appreciated the new elevator technology that was installed in order to expedite guests to there floors/rooms. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back for another stay in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Rochester, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I'm not a complainer, nor am I the type of consumer that looks for handouts, however at the very least, a SINCERE apology would have been nice.

We arrived at the advised check in time of 3pm only to find that our rooms were not ready (we traveled with a group and booked 3 rooms). No big deal, things happen....we proceeded to walk to the Carrier Dome for the SU v. Louisville game and had a great time.

Upon returning to the hotel, we were allowed to check in. We were given room 1905 and so my wife and I grabbed our luggage and went on up to the room. I opened the door and my wife says "someone's things are already in there" followed by a gentleman peaking out from around the corner asking what we're doing in his room.

I've NEVER had something like this happen to me. I spoke to the manager and was basically shrugged off as they made us SIT IN THE LOBBY WHILE THEY ATTEMPTED TO FIND ANOTHER ROOM. It's bad enough that we couldn't check in at the time set by the hotel, I can even understand that mistakes are made when we were given another's room (security issue), but for it not to be a priority to fix really makes me angry. They actually asked us to take a seat in the lobby while they attended to other guests just arriving for check-in.

It was at this point that I felt maybe we should be upgraded or at least given a slightly lower rate, but no we weren't. We got the "sorry here's your new room on the 15th floor, goodbye" and that's it. We filled out the comment card left in the room, and to my surprise, THERE'S NO DROP BOX FOR IT....I had to give the card to the manager who shrugged us off the night before.

As for the hotel, it's okay. Definitely not up to the Crowne Plaza standards. It looks as though they put did a very cheap lipstick job on an old hotel. It served its purpose and maybe I would have rated it average or even good if it weren't for the manner in which we were thrown to the side after the hotel made the mistake. Oh and for those elevators everyone else mentioned, THEY ARE INSANELY ANNOYING...I'm not sure who came up with the innovative idea of not having buttons inside and having to punch in your floor from the outside...but I think they should be fired!

Room Tip: Be sure the room is not assigned to someone else before waiting to take the annoying elevators up an...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, IHGCARE at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Dear TNTORTIZ8809,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I do apologize for any inconvenience the that you have experienced with the hotel staff. We are continually striving to improve the hospitality we offer, and comments from our guests are always welcome. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Brenda J.
IHGCare
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

I went up to Syracuse for a grad-school interview and wanted to stay at a comfortable hotel close to the school that had shuttle service available to guests. The stay itself was not bad, aside from my omelette being freezing cold in the morning.

I went to the front desk to settle my bill prior to getting on the bus to go to my interview. I asked them if they could hold my bag while I was at my interview. They said it was no problem and I watched as someone brought my bag into the back.

After my interview I called the hotel to see if the shuttle could pick me up, and they told me it would be a few hours and that I should take a cab. Where in Syracuse could that shuttle have possibly been?!?! When I returned later in the day, they could not locate my bag. I was extremely patient and understanding while they looked. I have never seen such disorganization in an establishment claiming the name of a luxury hospitality corporation such as Crowne Plaza. The front office manager (Kyle Harres) asked me to write down a list of the belongings that were in my bag, and I did my best to provide an accurate account of what was in there. He remained in contact with me over the next 48 hours and although apologetic, seemed annoyed with the fact that he had to deal with it. Upon my return home I realized a few items that had been off my list, i.e. a Burberry cashmere scarf that cost upwards of $300. When I told Mr. Harres this his response was judgemental, "For a scarf?" This was offensive to me as its none of his business to comment on the contents of my bag.

Next, Scott Weber, the general manager of the hotel called me to tell me that the bag was not turned in and that I would need to file a police report. I filed a report with the Syracuse Police Department claiming $2850 in lost belongings. I was kind enough to not list any of the hotel workers as suspects, even though one of them clearly took my bag.

Days go by without hearing from anyone and I call multiple times. I am forced to leave messages that exhibit the fact that I am agitated to be blown off in such a way. Finally I am called back by Brad Lassiter, the HR Director, who tells me that their insurance has rejected my claim. The hotel's offer for reimbursement was $700. I will repeat this fact again in case you missed it: I reported $2850 and the hotel's low-ball offer was $700.

Mr. Lassiter said that I could provide receipts for my items and they "may" reconsider. I have already been inconvenienced enough, and I certainly don't have receipts for all of the items that were in my bag. He said that they based the reimbursement on not only the item, but also the age of the item. Many of my most valuable possessions are old--that doesn't mean they are worth any less. I may as well have thrown my stuff in the garbage.

I am in complete disbelief by how this has been handled. I am currently working with corporate as I would imagine this location is a complete embarrassment to the Crowne Plaza name. It seems as though I have been lied to quite a bit. I find their failure to provide any accountability for a mistake of this caliber highly unprofessional. I wouldn't pay here again if I were paid, and it's unlikely I will risk staying anywhere posed as a CP again. Additionally, it does not seem like my experience was an isolated incident as there are a few reviews on here that depict similar encounters. If you are glutton for punishment and choose to lodge here while in Syracuse, you better sleep with one eye opened or your luggage may go missing. I wish it was possible to rate it less than 1 star.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
General M, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
Greetings Agoppy:

Thank you for sharing your concerns in regards to a luggage issue. We are actively in contact with you and your contacts in regards to a resolution. We appreciate you allowing us the opportunity to work with you!
Picton, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

We found the CP Syracuse to be a decent hotel, yes it's located between two Interstates,
I-81 and I-690 so you have to choose the rooms carefully. The rooms were great, well appointed and a small bathroom, but a great shower. Its easy to get around Syracuse from it.

Room Tip: Determine where I 81 us and don't be on the same side.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am excited that you had a positive experience at our property. We hope to have you back for another stay in the future!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Older updated property. Nice renovations. Clean rooms. Elevators are annoying due to the fact that they are computerized and you must select floor before entering elevator. They work fine when it is not busy. Nightmare when it is busy. Windows in room were drafty and highway noise from i81 was noticeable.

• Stayed February 2012
Greetings R S:

Thank you for your feedback on our new elevator system. In an attempt to help clarify how the elevators operate we have added signage as we understand it is a new technology to hotels. We have been in contact with our elevator provider and they have since updated the computer and how it operates the elevators as well. We hope you will enjoy these improvements during your next visit!
Fareham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

My own fault really. I thought it might improve. Stayed here a year ago and it was not great, but had heard that it had undergone a refurb and things were better. Need to understand that this hotel is noisy. It is located next to highway 81 and the continuous noise is disturbing. I wondered why they provided ear plugs as part of the sleeping package.
Called ahead a month ago to ensure that i was given a room on a high floor facing away from the highway. Was reassured by reciept of an email telling me that my room would be facing away from the highway overlooking the university. So here i am, day 2 of 6 looking out of my window at the steady stream of traffic rushing past on highway 81. Just how hard can it be.
Things did not start well. THe two gentleman booking in ahead of me were reassured that the executive area had got food and they would be able to get something upstairs. After they had walked away, her collegue reminded here that there were no refreshments at the weekend. "oh well" she said " they'll soon be back down complaining, never mind". THe guys had not even made it to the lifts yet. I am afraid that this attitude is perveyed throughout the hotel. When i arrived there was a snow storm outside and the temp was -7degrees C. When i got into my room the air conditioning was on and the tempreture was set at 50 degrees F. It was freezing. What is going on. It took an enternity to attempt to warm up the room which is col anyway.
Ordered room service. Dinner. What a joke. A great resteraunt downstairs, but all that is on offer from room service is a shrimp cocktail followed by steak, chicken or salmon. Day 2 gone and the menu is almost already exhusted.
The new lifts installed are a treat. You enter you room number on the outside and the lift directs you to the lift (choice of 3) which is going to your floor. Great today. Hotel empty, have been imformed that the cleaners are using 1 (strange that because the one i was in was full of cleaners) and the other one was being cleaned. Outcome of which is that i have spent upwards of 30 mins today waiting for lifts.
Breakfast staff really do not care. No buffet this morning. Was greeted by "no buffet today" thats it, like it or lump it. Girl obviously did not care whether i stayed or went.
Came back to my room at 4pm to continue work to be greeted by the cleaner cleaning the rooom (empty) next door and was told that she would get to mine next. 4pm. I wanted to work.
This is the Fawlty Towers of syracuse. If it was not so much trouble to move (i am supposed to be working) i would leave now. Never again though.I was stupid to give them a second chance, they will not be getting a third. Mind you, i dont suppose they even care !!!

Room Tip: High floor away (opposite) from the highway.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Greetings Ray M:

Thank you for allowing us to contact you and resolve the above issues. It is very important to us that we made right what went wrong. We hope to see you back in the near future if you visit Syracuse.
Caledon, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this location on 12/10/2011 for one night as we came to watch the basketball game in town. I had forgotten my flat iron at the hotel when I left and called within 5 hours and only to get the run around from front desk who kept telling me they will call me back right away after checking. I would not get a call and would have to call back. After three calls back, the front desk told me that they would need to investigate housekeeping that took care of my room # 213 as no guest had stayed since our departure in that room. I am still waiting to hear back from them after two months!!!
This is not a hotel that I trust or feel safe to be back at if a small item can be stolen. I have no other explanation as this was left under the sink and where would it go?

I am disgusted with the service levels as no one even apologized. I booked this hotel due to it's star rating and I cannot understand what kind of staff they employ.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Greetings Gracelyn W:

Thank you for sharing your feedback in response to a lost item. We clearly had a miss in communication to you and you are absolutely right in saying a representative should have returned your inquiry regardless to whether or not it was found. Our apologies that the item was not located. We will use this feedback to continually grow and retrain our staff.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!