“Large hotel, good value” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn

You added Clarion Inn to your Saves list
Clarion Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Farrell Road, State Fair Blvd & Farrell Rd, Syracuse, NY 13209   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Syracuse
Bronx, New York
“Large hotel, good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Wasn't pleased with the check-in. Had a contract for several rooms for a certain price and when I arrived was told a different rate and they insisted that I did not know the right rate. Not a good first impression. Luckily, I had my contract with me to prove the rate I had. I checked with some others in my group and some who arrived earlier had no problem with check-in and rate. The room was fair. It was clean and appeared to have been recently updated. No refrig or microwave in the room. Hall carpeting was clean. The complimentary breakfast included both hot and cold items, fruit, coffee, tea, and juices. a good variety. Quite a large building with multiple entrances, you had to use your room key to gain access. Did not use the fitness room so no comment on it.
Had live entertainment(singer) in the lounge area for about 2 hours. Did not eat at the restaurant.
WiFi available but could not get it to work in the room and when I tried to access the computer in the lobby area, it was not working. after the minor problems at check in, wasn't a bad hotel. Needed a car to get to a restaurant other than one located on premise because nothing was close by.

Room Tip: If you cannot do steps or walk much ask for a room off of the lobby where there is a ramp and not st...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Beth V, Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments. I apoligize for the mix up at checkin, I'm so glad we got everything straightened out. Hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Horseheads, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed there on Memorial Day Weekend. There was a veterans function at the NYS Fairgrounds. I had asked for a handicap accessible room and was upgraded to a suite. The room was nice and everything worked OK except the door lock system. My wife has MS and can't walk long distances. I had to go to the fairgrounds so she decided to have a meal at the restaurant on the property, Marcellas. She said the meal was the usual bland restaurant food. We were on the first floor and she had to walk up to the second level to get to the restaurant. There is no elevator on the property. If she were in a wheelchair we would have had to go outside, up a fairly steep driveway and then up a wheelchair ramp to get to the main desk and restaurant.

When my wife went back to the room, the key card would not work. She had to make several trips up and down stairs to finally get back in the room. No one offered to help her or switch to a room with a functioning lock. When I got back later that evening, my key card would not work either.

When I checked out, I complained about the lock problem and asked why no one offered to help or switch rooms. I was told that my wife did not ask. Why should she have to ask? It was obvious she was struggling and she was walking with a cane.

I would not stay at this property again. A real lack of compassion for a guest and lousy customer service. Looks like they bought this motel to make money and don't care about taking care of their customers.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to a suite. Very nice and very comfortable. There is a sign saying they will upgr...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Beth V, Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I apoligize on behalf of my staff, that we were not able to assist your wife. Maintenance was notified that night, and was able to change the lock in the morning. I'm sorry that we were not able to change you to a different room, we unfortunetly did not have another suite available to move you to.
Ottawa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hotel was just OK for the weekend stay. We had a room at the back of the hotel, the door to our room looked like it had witnessed many fights as there were many pieces of paint missing in places. The room was ok but was not the cleanest. Even when the room was made up the second day for us, no clean cups were left for coffee and the used ones were left. The tub didn't drain well so you showered in 6 inches of water that would accumulate. The breakfast was standard scrambled eggs and sausage patties or cerial. The hotel is near the fair grounds but is out of the way to where we spent our time. Wouldn't go back

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Beth V, Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for making us aware of the issues you encountered during your recent stay. I have shared your comments with our staff so that in the future we can prevent these things from happening.
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Nice enough place to stay and pretty close and easy to get back and forth to the fair grounds. Only complaint, at night when we needed to check in, there was only one person staffing the front desk so we had to wait about 20 minutes. This is not something that a guest should have to encounter, especially later at night, when everyone is very tired.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Beth V, Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I apoligize for the wait you encountered during check in. Usually most guests are checked in during the day, so later in the evening we have one person staffed at the desk. Thanks again for the review!
PALENVILLE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I was in Syracuse on a business trip for 2 nights and this is the hotel I usually choose. If you have business at the State Fairgrounds it is very convenient and they may offer a group rate if they have been contacted by the show promoter. There is not much going on in this particular area but if you just need a self contained hotel this is a good choice. They have a restaurant and bar with good food for the money. The service on this trip was slow due to a new staff at the bar and restaurant. They had live music both Friday and Saturday nights. They offer a nice free breakfast in the morning. The problem this time was that they were out of yogurt by 7:30 the garbage was overflowing and the counter by the waffle maker was uncleaned. These problems were unattended to until after 8:00 am. The rooms were clean, beds comfortable and quiet.

Room Tip: I have not had a bad room at this facility yet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Beth V, Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I will be addressing your breakfast concerns with our staff. It is nice to have specific examples that we are able to discuss and learn from. Thank you for being a loyal guest, and we look forward to seeing you soon!
valley stream
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I recently stayed at the Clarion Inn Fairgrounds while picking my daughter up after she finished her first year at SU. In the past I had bad experiences at many Choice Hotel properties, but not the case here. This hotel is being renovated and the room I stayed in was excellent. The carpeting, bedding, bathroom fixtures, and TV were all new.

I also love to workout while staying at a hotel and the Clarion's workout room was fine. All the cardio machines worked.

The hotel is only 10 minutes from SU and it is right off of I-690.

I am so happy I found an affordable hotel near SU since my daughter has 3 more years to go!

Room Tip: ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Beth V, Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
First off, congrats on your daughter completing her first year at Syracuse University!

Thanks for the positive feedback. We'll see you in August for SU move in!
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Hotel Management,

I tell you; this was the best nights stay I think ever for me and my wife in traveling for the last 23 years.....the bed was "Especially Comfortable" i.e. King Size Bed and the shower had lots of water - high pressure - hot! The Breakfast was great! The receptionist was very nice (Josie) and the bar was great.

Will be traveling this year and we will be doing it on our weekends and I will be coming back - I have never been in a Clarion and that was Exceptional.

Greg Shepard
Advanced Safety
Greg@AdvancedSafety.com

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Beth V, Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post positive feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to all your future stays with us at the Clarion.

Been to Clarion Inn? Share your experiences!