“Think motel not hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels in Syracuse
New York
“Think motel not hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

This is more like a motel. Long corridors, with many doors. Thin walls you can hear the neighbors. Room is sparsely finished and looks out on a chain fence and parking lot. Reception area is pleasant and staff seemed nice. Physically however this is Motel 6!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Villanova, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

If you need to stay near the University and cannot get a room at the Sheraton then stay here. The room in which I stayed was not in the main hotel but across the entrance. There is only one small elevator here and it takes its time. The hallways are narrow and other guests tend to stand in the corridor and talk, probably because the rooms are so small. The hotel has been updated but the floors are squeaky and the bathrooms show a bad redesign. No movies in the room just basic cable. Room service was very poor. The food was cold and not very good plus the wait staff was not very friendly or accommodating. For me this is a hotel of last resort.

Room Tip: If you need a desk in your room, you will need to ask for it when you book. Not all rooms have desks...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Wayside, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip in December 2012. Attended a lovely reception and I found the hotel, overall, very quaint. Hotel was decoated beautifully for Christmas and my room was a nice size. Bedroom, bath, and reading room. I did find the room service a bit pricey though, as I paid close to $20 for my much-needed pot of coffee in the morning. Overall a great stay, and I would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I lived in Syracuse more years than I care to admit. It is only recently that we have had some really good hotels in which to stay. One of the more classier hotels in Syracuse, N.Y. Very nicely appointed and comfortable rooms, centrally located and an excellent restaurant and bar. Wonderful collection of wine. The food is excellent , good variety, and well prepared to your liking. The service staff is top notch and compares well to the best of hotels I've stayed at in NY or San Francisco. One of the things that really impressed me was the bar. The bartenders treated me as if were on vacation whenever I came in. The quality of products was good and they have an excellent wine list. The servers and wait staff know a lot about wine and I am comfortable with their selections . The service staff is obviously well treined

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed at the Genesse Grande this past New Year’s Eve with my significant other. A native from Syracuse I can say that the service and location of this hotel is excellent. The hotel has a gorgeous lobby and restaurant/bar. The hotel is far enough away from the city so that its quietly located near the university, yet close enough to take a five minute drive to the down town area. We had a suit with a king size bed and it was beautiful. The room had that new modern decor. The bathroom was white with a very long black and white marble counter which had plenty of towels and space for the boyfriend and I. Our little living room had a couch, coffee table and large flat screen television mounted on the wall. I'm sure most of us can relate in that we have looked at photos of hotel rooms online, and were let down once we opened the door to our rooms. You’re not going to be let down with this hotel. Like most of us, I want to stay in a nice place during time off or holidays. The only thing I wish we had was a mini fridge to put all our food in after dinner.
The hotel location puts you right in the middle of restaurants, the university campus and downtown. The hotel staff is nothing but helpful and very polite. If you need anything, call the front desk and whatever issue you might have is quickly resolved. Our clothing iron broke and someone ran up to our door five minutes later with a new one after I made the call. Check out is at noon which was outstanding so we didn’t have to rush out of there at ten or eleven in the morning like many places. I have eaten at the bar/restaurant there many times prior to this stay. Last time I was there I had the smoked salmon and it was amazing. I rarely eat salmon but the balsamic glaze on it was fantastic. The food and service is always wonderful, I you ever have an issue with your food, it’s resolved quickly. You also don’t have to worry about being forgotten about, the restaurant staff is always checking with you during your meal. However, the restaurant can get really busy at times with parties, especially during family visiting times at the university. The hotel was full up when we stayed; it’s always a good idea to call about reservations and when you want to dine in at the restaurant. So overall the hotel is close to everything you want to see while in Syracuse, but also tucked away if you just want some quiet time to decompress.

Room Tip: Second floor suits facing the parking lot are beautiful and very quiet. The local police watch over...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ParkviewManagement, Manager at The Genesee Grande Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Cuse C,

What an amazing review to read! Your kind words have been shared with all our staff. Please come back and visit us soon!

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

We've been traveling to the 'Cuse for the last 30 years to visit my husband's family. Over the years, we have stayed I'm from low-low budget places to, now that we can afford it, nicer hotels. Syracuse does not have a wide selection of great places, but the Genesee Grande is up there. Now, what would be a 3 star place in other, more metropolitan areas is 5 star in upstate NY. So the GG is really a 3 star but gets extra points for being in Syracuse.

The lobby is lovely. Service is fine but not always polished. The decor in public spaces is fresh and clean. We stayed in. King suite in the newer building - large and well furnished. The bathroom was clean with nice finishes. The bed and bedding very comfy.

We've stayed at lovely hotels all over, and the GG is by far not nearly deserving of rave reviews, but it is just enough taste of luxury to make our trips up north a bit more comfortable. And you do pay - not horrible prices compared to other cities, but it is expensive for Syracuse.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear pbgvluv,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate your nice comments regarding the cleanliness of our hotel and the comfort of your room. We look forward to seeing you the next time your travels bring you to the `Cuse.

Bonita Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here over the Christmas holiday. Service is always very good. Staff goes out of their way to please. The suite is huge. 3 very large spaces. Great for entertaining. The bed is one of the most comfortable beds in any hotel I have stayed in. Good workout room too. Very reasonable rates.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Kenneth K,

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you soon!

Staff & Management

Been to The Genesee Grande Hotel? Share your experiences!