“Coolest Hotel in Syracuse” 4 of 5 stars

The Genesee Grande Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1060 E Genesee St, Syracuse, NY 13210   |
Ranked #10 of 30 hotels in Syracuse
Syracuse, New York
“Coolest Hotel in Syracuse”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I lived in Syracuse more years than I care to admit. It is only recently that we have had some really good hotels in which to stay. One of the more classier hotels in Syracuse, N.Y. Very nicely appointed and comfortable rooms, centrally located and an excellent restaurant and bar. Wonderful collection of wine. The food is excellent , good variety, and well prepared to your liking. The service staff is top notch and compares well to the best of hotels I've stayed at in NY or San Francisco. One of the things that really impressed me was the bar. The bartenders treated me as if were on vacation whenever I came in. The quality of products was good and they have an excellent wine list. The servers and wait staff know a lot about wine and I am comfortable with their selections . The service staff is obviously well treined

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

274 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed at the Genesse Grande this past New Year’s Eve with my significant other. A native from Syracuse I can say that the service and location of this hotel is excellent. The hotel has a gorgeous lobby and restaurant/bar. The hotel is far enough away from the city so that its quietly located near the university, yet close enough to take a five minute drive to the down town area. We had a suit with a king size bed and it was beautiful. The room had that new modern decor. The bathroom was white with a very long black and white marble counter which had plenty of towels and space for the boyfriend and I. Our little living room had a couch, coffee table and large flat screen television mounted on the wall. I'm sure most of us can relate in that we have looked at photos of hotel rooms online, and were let down once we opened the door to our rooms. You’re not going to be let down with this hotel. Like most of us, I want to stay in a nice place during time off or holidays. The only thing I wish we had was a mini fridge to put all our food in after dinner.
The hotel location puts you right in the middle of restaurants, the university campus and downtown. The hotel staff is nothing but helpful and very polite. If you need anything, call the front desk and whatever issue you might have is quickly resolved. Our clothing iron broke and someone ran up to our door five minutes later with a new one after I made the call. Check out is at noon which was outstanding so we didn’t have to rush out of there at ten or eleven in the morning like many places. I have eaten at the bar/restaurant there many times prior to this stay. Last time I was there I had the smoked salmon and it was amazing. I rarely eat salmon but the balsamic glaze on it was fantastic. The food and service is always wonderful, I you ever have an issue with your food, it’s resolved quickly. You also don’t have to worry about being forgotten about, the restaurant staff is always checking with you during your meal. However, the restaurant can get really busy at times with parties, especially during family visiting times at the university. The hotel was full up when we stayed; it’s always a good idea to call about reservations and when you want to dine in at the restaurant. So overall the hotel is close to everything you want to see while in Syracuse, but also tucked away if you just want some quiet time to decompress.

Room Tip: Second floor suits facing the parking lot are beautiful and very quiet. The local police watch over...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ParkviewManagement, Manager at The Genesee Grande Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Cuse C,

What an amazing review to read! Your kind words have been shared with all our staff. Please come back and visit us soon!

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

We've been traveling to the 'Cuse for the last 30 years to visit my husband's family. Over the years, we have stayed I'm from low-low budget places to, now that we can afford it, nicer hotels. Syracuse does not have a wide selection of great places, but the Genesee Grande is up there. Now, what would be a 3 star place in other, more metropolitan areas is 5 star in upstate NY. So the GG is really a 3 star but gets extra points for being in Syracuse.

The lobby is lovely. Service is fine but not always polished. The decor in public spaces is fresh and clean. We stayed in. King suite in the newer building - large and well furnished. The bathroom was clean with nice finishes. The bed and bedding very comfy.

We've stayed at lovely hotels all over, and the GG is by far not nearly deserving of rave reviews, but it is just enough taste of luxury to make our trips up north a bit more comfortable. And you do pay - not horrible prices compared to other cities, but it is expensive for Syracuse.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear pbgvluv,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate your nice comments regarding the cleanliness of our hotel and the comfort of your room. We look forward to seeing you the next time your travels bring you to the `Cuse.

Bonita Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here over the Christmas holiday. Service is always very good. Staff goes out of their way to please. The suite is huge. 3 very large spaces. Great for entertaining. The bed is one of the most comfortable beds in any hotel I have stayed in. Good workout room too. Very reasonable rates.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Kenneth K,

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you soon!

Rochester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stayed at the Genesee Grande Hotel for a 2 night girls weekend. We booked thru Priceline.com (which I won't do again - but that is another review). Before booking on Priceline I called the hotel to make sure we could have a room with 2 beds I was told no problem, that I should get my Priceline number and call back which I did. Again, I was told no problem.

Well we get there and the hotel looks nice - the lobby is lovely - there are 2 buildings. We are told our room is in the building over, we head over there still looking good although the lobby smelled of fish and there is no restaurant in that building? We head to the elevator which has some gooey substance on the outside door looks like someone maybe spilled a milkshake? Go to the room and you guessed it ... one bed and the room is TINY I can pretty much reach my arms across and touch the other side of the room. I call down and tell them this is unacceptable and they said sorry nothing we can do you aren't guaranteed anything thru Priceline. So we head down to the front desk and speak to the manager who tells us again they are booked and there isn't anything they can do - so we tell her we are not sharing a bed and there isn't any room for a cot so we will sleep in the lobby : )
Somehow they found us a room with 2 beds. The room as once again small but clean, the bathroom was also fine and clean (also a bit small).
There appeared to be a climate control unit in the room but it was only a fan and the room got very stuffy at night - we wound up opening the window.
There was a restaurant in the building and a coffee bar but nothing right near the hotel. We walked about a mile to a coffee shop.
Also, the hotel has a HUGE crow problem - we came out in the morning and our van was covered with bird droppings it was gross, the windshield was so bad we went in and asked for cleaner and a rag since we couldn't see the desk clerk told us yes they have crow fans but they aren't set up - they need to be...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear aghmom,

Thank you for your contributions on Tripadvisor. We are glad our staff was able to accommodate your room requests. Please know we try our best to accommodate each guest as availability allows. With 3rd-party reservations, however specific room types cannot be guaranteed until the day of arrival. Again, thank you for your review and we hope you give us another chance.

Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for just one night and found it to be very well appointed and quite clean. I was a little concerned about some of the negative reviews but didn't see almost anything wrong with this hotel. It's definitely a 4 star hotel from the lobby with it's nice furnishings and decor to the rooms as well.
Upon checking we were given a room with 1 Queen but needed an extra bed (i.e. room with 2 double or sofa bed). Our room was changed per our request but the room we were given in the tower across from the main lobby it didn't have the extra bed so we went back down and they switched the room to one that did have a sofa bed and a queen bed. Both the original room in the older looking tower and the new room in the low rise section in the main building looked to be identical in the furnishings and decor so I didn't see any rooms that looked to be done up differently.
The room was very spacious with lots of room to walk around, flat screen on the wall, bathroom was nice (granite countertop, marble titles, and spacious too), the bed was comfortable, etc. I'd put this hotel on par and perhaps nicer than some hiltons, sheraton/westin, marriott, etc. It was also nice that the hotel had free wifi and parking which I don't think you get at the Crowne Plaza which is only a couple blocks away. I also thought the downtown location was quite good and easy to get to. There are a few restaurants that are walking distance but downtown Syracuse in this area is pretty deserted in the evenings.
FYI - Breakfast is a la carte and has a varied menu with choices ranging from $6-$15. I'd recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ParkviewManagement, Manager at The Genesee Grande Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear 14Roger,

Thank you for your wonderful review and recommendations. We are very pleased to hear our staff was quickly attentive to your room type request. Please come visit us again soon!

Cheektowaga, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The lobby is beautiful as you walk in with marble, leather seating and a koi pond. This is an old hotel that has been renovated. My room was in the main part of the hotel and was just average. Two full beds, nice linens, desk, dresser and closet. The bathroom had been updated with marble tub surround and new toilet and sink. There is a hair dryer and shampoo etc. I was attending a conference so most of my time was spent out of the room anyway. The conference space was nice and the temperature was perfect, not too cold not to warm. The conference included meals and the food was excellent !! The hotel staff were very friendly and attentive without being overbearing. The only complaint I have was the parking area was small and looks like it needed repaving. The hotel was centrally located to the university, sites of Syracuse and the “old” town area. Easy on and off thruway exits. Very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: If traveling in the winter ask for a room in the main building so you don't have to go outside t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ParkviewManagement, Manager at The Genesee Grande Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Kathy987,

We are so happy to hear your stay was enjoyable. Thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to your next visit.

Staff & Management

Been to The Genesee Grande Hotel? Share your experiences!