“One of the best steaks in town” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Miami Beach, Florida
“One of the best steaks in town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

This place has amazing ambiance- stone, brick walls and archways built in the 1800's. It was also a bank I assume, seeing the vault now being creatively used as a wine room across from the beautiful bamboo and steel bar where I ordered a perfect gin martini from Claire, who knew how to make a lcassic drink the right way. The food is expensive, but worth it for quality and presentation. I order their 20 oz Cowboy Steak and it was seared to perfection. I would definitely go back on my next business trip to Syracuse!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Saratoga Springs, New York
“Bad mold smell”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I just had dinner with a business partner on Monday night 093013- I have to say the Food was great!!! but when we walked into the restaurant a strong bad smell of mold came over us!! Made my friend and feel a little sick. We stuck it out but should have moved to the outside tables! The smell was crazy bad!! Service and food was great but the smell- sorry they need to fix this!!

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Delicious, friendly and attentive staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

This past week I was travelling alone in Syracuse on business, and sought out Prime Steak House. Let's face it, it's not always a comfortable experience to dine alone, especially as a woman.

I sat in a very warm and charming bar area, and was greeted by the lovely bartender, Claire. I was happy to see a nice selection of wines posted behind the bar and ordered a glass of wine.

Also seated at the bar happened to be the owner, Danny. He was dining and speaking with what seemed to be regular customers. He graciously introduced himself to me and welcomed me, I immediately felt comfortable and like I was a "regular" too!

I know, it's a steak house, but I ordered the Wild Caught Grilled Salmon which came with a wedge salad to start. The wedge salad was wonderful. There was just the right amount of blue cheese dressing, with crumbled blue, it wasn't dowsed. The crumbled bacon was also just the right amount, and delicious. It was definitely a better quality bacon or even perhaps pancetta, I forgot to ask...but really, really good. Then the kicker was a delightful hunk of deep fried blue cheese on the side! Best wedge I've ever had!

At the tail end of my salad Danny looked over to me and said, "I can't believe you didn't order the tomato salad, tomatoes are in season." Dang! Danny kindly gave me a sampling of his :).

My salmon then arrived, which I ordered medium rare with a side of sautéed spinach. The presentation was fabulous! The salmon rested on a beautiful square slate palate (I'm going to call it a palate because it was artistry) which was fitted into a wooden caddy, I think it was either walnut or oak. I eat in a lot of restaurants, I've never seen anything like this, stunning! Danny had told me he had seen them and just had to have them for his restaurant. (This man obviously pays attention to detail). My sautéed spinach arrived in a wonderful casserole which kept my spinach warm throughout my meal. Apparently both pieces made in France by the same manufacturer.

My salmon was cooked beautifully. There was a nice crunchy sear on the outside, while being moist and done to the correct temperature inside. Fresh and tasty.

I look forward to returning to Prime Steakhouse on my next visit to Syracuse, next time I'll get a steak and maybe tomatoes will be in season again! But certainly I'll go back, as I felt I made friends there and there's something to be said about hospitality and attention to detail.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Check your bill before you pay - not that they'll correct mistakes....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I dined with five other people for a business dinner at Prime last night, and our entire party was stunned by how the restaurant refused to correct what they admitted was a substantial mistake - their mistake - on our bill. The crab leg entree was listed on the menu for $36, which two people in our party ordered. When the bill arrived we noticed that we were charged $50 per order, almost 40% more than the price listed on the menu. We called our server's attention to it, to which she responded she would "check if anything can be done about it." When she returned to our table she said the price for the crab legs was increased to $50 the day prior, and that although she made a mistake by not telling us this when we ordered it, she wouldn't be allowed to correct our bill. Then a gentleman (the manager?) approached our table and said he would offer us a dessert in lieu of correcting the bill. We told him we weren't interested in dessert, we just wanted to pay what we correctly owed.

We then located a man whom we were told was the owner - he admitted they did recently change the pricing for this entree but hadn't changed the menus to reflect that, and that the server should have told us and would be penalized for this, but that we would STILL be charged $100 for those two entrees. We explained why this is unethical, possibly even illegal, and made it clear that our server was otherwise excellent and shouldn't be penalized - it was a terribly awkward situation for us to try to defend our server and also make it clear to the owner they can't do this to customers. In the end the owner completely refused to correct our bill, which they already charged to our credit card, and then he suddenly handed us some ($27) of the difference in cash and admitted he was still keeping the additional money for tax at the $50 price point. Not wanting to cause more of a scene in front of other patrons or the guests we had treated to dinner, we left.

I didn't want to post this last night, right after the meal, thinking I'd be less irritated about this by the next day. But I'm still seething about what happened, and that any establishment can get away with this. I know star ratings should primarily reflect food and service (both were fine until the billing issue arose) so that's the only reason I felt compelled to provide two stars. The practices of this restaurant leave MUCH to be questioned.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Great atmosphere ..... Amazing food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

While in town on business I was looking for a great steak dinner and was recommended to dine at Prime Steakhouse. When we arrived we immediately noticed the nice ambiance and the friendly hostess was there to greet us. Our experience at the table began with a very attentive waiter who was clearly knowledgable and thorough about the menu as well as the specials that were offered that evening. I decided to start with the tuna tartar, which you could tell was freshly prepared and was delicious. We decided to take the waiters recommendation to try the beet salad. It was presented on a fresh bed of greens with candied walnuts and warm grilled goat cheese. Excellent choice by the waiter! Our entrees arrived in good time and we were very pleased with them. I got the bone-in ribeye which was presented on a classy slate plate, garnished with delicious funions. The waiter made sure that our steaks were cooked to perfection, and we were eager to start our meal. We were advised that the desserts were all made in-house, and went for the carrot cake. I would say it's the best ever! Great portion, great flavor! All in all, I would absolutely come back here, as the food was superb and the service was excellent.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere