“NYS Fair 8/25/12” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Western Ranch Motor Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Syracuse
Western Ranch Motor Inn
1255 State Fair Boulevard, Syracuse, NY 13209   |
Ranked #28 of 31 hotels in Syracuse
Greece, New York
“NYS Fair 8/25/12”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

My father & I stayed here this past Saturday night for the NYS Fair. From the reviews I wasn't sure what we would be getting ourselves into, but were willing to try it as all the other hotels wanted $120 more, and we only needed a place to sleep and take a shower. We were very pleased with our stay and especially the price for a Saturday night during the fair, $99. The motel is older but our room was very clean and comfortable and the employees were all very nice. After the fair we came back and stopped at the bar for a couple drinks(it was quiet, for a Saturday night unlike other reviews on here). The bartender was very nice and personable. I plan on going again next year to the fair and will be staying here again for the price and cleanliness you can't be it. It is far away from the city, but when going to the state fairgrounds it is the perfect drive less then 10 minutes down the road(wouldn't recommend walking). On a side note which has nothing to do with the hotel but the fair.. we went to the fair sat morning then about 1pm went back to the motel for a few hours to rest went back to the fair at dinner time and had to pay the parking fee again at the fair.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

9 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
South Hadley, Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I love classic old funky hotels for my American travel experiences, and found this one by searching for an inexpensive place to stay in Syracuse that was *not* a chain. It's an old motor inn from the 1940s, surrounded by a gravelly lot and not much else! Thankfully there is an old-school cafe on the premises and a tavern with a taxidermied raccoon and neon cactus. The cafe isn't for breakfast, and there *is* no breakfast, nor coffee in the rooms, so bring your own, or they will also refer you to Mimi's, which is an old-school diner up the street. The rooms have dark paneled walls, which is fun: there is nothing overtly wrong with anything unless you are super fastidious and/or high maintenance. The front staff are accommodating and sweet and gave us the group discount for a horse show that was happening at the fairgrounds even though we weren't with that group, because I inquired for the best rate. Approach them with sweetness and you will likely get sweetness back. Just enjoy yourself :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

I stayed at the motel on a trip to the Syracuse Antiques Show in Liverpool as a dealer/exhibitor. There were several other dealers that I met in the dining room who told me that they have been staying at the motel for many years and were happy with the service and the price. The decor isn't great and the furnishings are definitely shabby, but what can anyone expect when the rates are so low? My room was in the main building so I was able to get to the Dining room and the bar without going outside. The staff is AMERICAN and ENGLISH SPEAKING and the rooms are about as clean as they can be considering the age of the fabrics and furnishings. I will be going back there and staying for four nights during the Thanksgiving weekend as I will be a Dealer at the Antiques Show at the Fairgrounds on Saturday and Sunday.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

Being a lover of older motels, I had found this place by looking at other reviews here. We were a bit surprised at how far from town it was. I have no idea what road was where I-690 is in 1948, but we were way out of town. This place was about what I expected. It is a pretty large building, one story in the front, two in the back. We got a room around back for about $55. The road leading down to that section is steep, and has an abrupt drop where it goes from pavement to gravel. Our room was pretty funky. There was quite a bit of knotty pine paneling, and the bathroom had beige tile with beautiful aqua fixtures. There is a restaurant, but it wasn't open that night.

On the down side, the carpet was really old and threadbare, with some spots. The TV was small and old, and the mattress was really dead and mushy. Altogether, I can't really complain for the price. I'd much rather support an older family place than pay twice the price for a chain.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
New York, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

This place is a classic roadside hotel, from the price to the decor. I have stayed here 3 or 4 times and the rooms are a little run down but they are clean. I have never stayed there when it was busy (such as during the State Fair), so they might be overwhelmed at those times.

When I have stayed, it was quiet and hospitable. Having a bar on site is a real bonus. They also have a small resturant; I have not eaten there yet, but the patrons in the bar have said the food is surprisingly good. I will make a point of it to eat there next time.

For about same price as a Motel 8 or other such chains in Syracuse, I much prefer the Ranch where you can drive right up to your room and pretty much have the place to yourself.

• Liked — Bar, Location, Price, Quiet
  • Disliked — Rooms a bit run down, no late check out
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Canajoharie, ny
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2006

My husband and I stayed at this hotel the night of August 30, 2006. We planned on going to the NYS Fair the next day and instead of driving that morning, we stayed here.

I checked on different web sites and this hotel seemed to get really great reviews. What were they thinking?!

As soon as we walked into the office, the smell of smoke and stale beer almost knocked us over.

The man behind the desk acted as though we were bothering him when we checked in. He did tell us how to get to our room and tossed two keys on the counter.

After moving our truck, we found our room. We followed the directions we were given. After walking through an outside "hallway" that had empty Coors cans and dirty towels in a basket we found our room.

The room door stuck - had to push it in. The window did not lock. The room had the same awful smell as the office. The lighting was terrible - very dim lights. The TV sat on a bracket that was hung from the ceiling. The light in the bathroom was a bare bulb over the sink. The carpet was disgusting. The nightstand had been moved and you could see the original color - not even close to what we were walkking on - scary.

Take my advise - never stay here - spend the extra $20 and stay in the City - you'll be glad you did - we wish we had.

• Liked — close to NYS Fairground
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — do not stay here
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Western Ranch Motor Inn? Share your experiences!