“The bed without blood on the sheets was the one I slept in” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Syracuse
Rochester, New York
“The bed without blood on the sheets was the one I slept in”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I am sorry to write this review, but it needs to be said. The hotel has nice "bones" and a nice lobby with a terrific breakfast.

It's very clear that this hotel has significant deferred maintenance issues. The hallway walls are banged up with carts marks (I assume that this is from the housekeeping carts, it is obvious, but needs to be addressed). Its ratty.

I stayed in room 313.

The windows don't open. A shame on a beautiful spring evening.

The safe in the room was non-functional.

The bathroom was very clean, but the shower was a complete mystery to operate. It was so hard to figure out that I had to take a bath. I'm a grown man, a burly guy. 6' 2", 240lb. Tell me how much i enjoy taking a bath because I can't figure out how to make the shower work. (It turns out its a hidden pull down ring, under the tub fill nozzle. Please put a sign in the bathroom. I'm not alone on this, it was the topic of conversation at he next table at breakfast "Hey, Bill. How long did it take you to figure out the shower?". Bill, "A LONG time")

The bathroom door had been kicked open, and was cracked.

But, that's not why I wrote this.

I wrote this because I chose the bed that i slept in based on one factor, I slept in the bed that didn't have dried blood on the sheets.

It would be so simple to address the details in this well appointed place. In a year, it will be a full renovation.

Fail.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
John T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Syracuse / Fairgrounds, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Paul,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. We strive to provide every guest with a clean and comfortable experience at our hotel from check in to check out. Your feedback will be used to improve our product going forward and be shared with all team members at the hotel. We were happy to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast and the layout of the hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly at 315-701-5000 X7500 if you would like to discuss your stay in more detail.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Avon, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed here one night for a trip to Syracuse - our last experience in a Syracuse hotel was not a great one (should have rated it much lower in hindsight), so we were hopeful that the Holiday Inn Express would be different. Overall, it was better, but there is definitely room for improvement.

Pros:
- Well priced; as others have said, the pricing is good and you get relatively what you'd expect out of a Holiday Inn or like level hotel stay.
- Check in and check out were smooth processes with no nasty surprises.
- Room, hallways, everywhere was clean, well kept.
- Breakfast was everything you'd expect - hot foods like eggs, sausages, bacon, pancakes, and plenty of cold options like cereal, pastries, bagels, yogurt, etc.
- Room was large and spacious, with a flat screen TV
- The bathroom was clean, no mold or mildew, and pretty much what you'd expect (see the pictures for more and complimentary toiletries)

Cons:
- Probably the biggest gripe I have with the hotel is the noise. I believe there was a youth hockey team staying at the hotel that night, and clearly they wanted to practice. At 11 PM. The noise didn't die down after 45 minutes, so I called the front desk and they promised to take care of it. Took another 45 minutes for the noise to stop. A noise curfew at say 10 PM with a swifter response would really have made a difference for me.
- Yes, as has been mentioned, the location is weird, with poor signage to get you there. With any Navigation system (phone, car, etc.), you won't have any trouble, but the hotel is sort of out in the unknown.
- The bed was quite lumpy and uncomfortable. I've slept in some rustic locations with uncomfortable bedding, but I wasn't expecting it here. Could have been much better.

Again, this isn't my first stay in Syracuse, and I'm well aware that there are other hotels much worse. There is plenty to like about this hotel, but due to my experience with the noise, I'll consider other hotels next time I visit and use this Holiday Inn Express as a backup plan.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Syracuse / Fairgrounds, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear JB24003,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comment, We truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. Please accept my apology for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay. We are continually reviewing the products and service we provide, therefore guest feedback is very important to us.

Again, I wish to thank you for your input and hope to see you the next time you travel to our area.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Hotel was well priced, loved that breakfast was included. Only negative comment on the room - no fan in the bathroom - with 4 people (2 adults 2 kids) you need a fan in the bathroom. Locationw as not what we expected, in the middle of a field - but within reasonable distance from shopping and great food.

Room Tip: Arrived late and left early so cannot say too much; beds were very comfy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your response! We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Come and see us again!
Red Bluff, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

i had the best stay ever.i stayed 3 weeks and didnt want to leave Christine kuczynski made sure i got the best directions to eat maria had my room clean the two joes did a wonderful breakfast thanks to all the staff jess erica tristan alyssa great job im coming back next time im in syracuse ny

Room Tip: room 408 is quiet and good view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Everardo S,

Thank you for your review. We will be sure to pass along your kind words to all those mentioned in your post. We hope to see you again soon.
Pittsgrove, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Very nice hotel. Friendly and helpful staff. The breakfast was awesome and included. When we got there the room we had booked therough the 800 number was not available so was a little dispointed but not for long as John gave us a great room with a cot that was like another bed. The pool was nice and the restaurant the hotel recomended.... Quacker Steak and Lube was GREAT. This out in no where so bring what you need. Very close to the fair grounds. Really enjoyed our stay would stay there again

Room Tip: they are all nice we had 2 queen bed and cot nice size and it also had fridge, coffee maker and m...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
John T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Syracuse / Fairgrounds, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
JoAnn,

Thank you for your review. We enjoyed having you at our hotel for the recent horse show and hope to see you again soon!
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This hotel was clean, the staff was friendly, the Pool was decent sized (but freezing). My only complaint is the lack of towels. We had 4 people in our room who needed to shower and went swimming. Twice I asked for extra towels so we could have dry ones to shower with and swim the next day. The girl gave us old bath mats. An old bath mat may be a sufficient towel for my 3 year old but didn't really cut it for mom. Seems like kind of a silly complaint, but not when you are freezing and dripping though the hallways on your way back to your room. Otherwise though, a great place to spend the night on our way through NY.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Lisa,

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your time at our hotel. Also, thank you for your feedback regarding pool towels. I am happy to tell you more are in route!

Thanks again!
Conway, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I had to work at the fairgrounds for the weekend and this hotel was close with a good rate. When we arrived later in the evening we were quickly taken care of and were told of a close place to grab a bit to eat (no place to eat at the hotel). The staff was freindly and took good care of us. The brekfast in the morning was nice (loved the cinnamon rolls) but I wished they had fresh fruit. A banana or apple would have been nice. One evening we returned to cookies and fresh coffee, that was a nice surprise. The fitness room is small but nice. I would stay here again from a good experiance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Syracuse / Fairgrounds? Share your experiences!