“Very Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Syracuse
Cobourg, Canada
“Very Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night, as we were passing through to New York City. This is a very nice hotel with friendly staff. The room was a very good size with microwave and a fridge. They supplied a very nice breakfast, everything there was neat and tidy. I believe that this is a fairly new hotel. Just double check the directions for finding the hotel, they can be a little tricky, but we managed no problem. We would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel a couple nights because we had planned to go to the NY State Fair, which is located very near to the hotel. For that, it's convenient. I'm not sure what else there is to do in the area. The hotel felt very remote. That's not a lot else around.

Our first impression of the location was not good. We arrived after 7:00 PM, and wanted to find a place for dinner. Since the hotel doesn't have a restaurant, we were looking to the local area. The hotel advertises a nearby restaurant - Quaker Steak & Lube - which is a short walk down a gravel path behind the hotel. As it was starting to get dark, we didn't feel very comfortable walking to the restaurant. The path approached the back of the restaurant. And as we approached, we saw hundreds of motorcycles and people in the parking lot. Apparently Wednesday night is motorcycle night at the Quaker. We turned around and got the car, to look for another restaurant. Driving around the area, we found nothing recognizable, nothing that even looked slightly busy except for a restaurant at another hotel, but that had a 45+ minute wait, and the hostess didn't seem to encourage us to stay.

If you're traveling with family, and are looking for familiar restaurants where you know what to expect, this isn't the location. The second night, we looked up area restaurants and used the GPS to find a shopping mall about 15 minutes away in Liverpool, NY. If you want familiar restaurants, that's the place to head.

This Holiday Inn does offer free breakfast in the lobby until 9:30 AM. We went the first day, and were disappointed. Pancakes are usually available, but the day we were there, the machine was broken and was actually carried away. There were biscuits and gravy, but only one biscuit remained at 9:00, and they weren't refilled. Scambled eggs (pre-formed disks) were out, but they were replenished. There were some cereal and juice options, and the only other hot food was bacon (almost empty). On the second morning, we decided to skip breakfast and got something on the road after checking out.

During our stay there, we did visit the NY State Fairgrounds, which are very close. On our return late in the day, we found that housekeeping had not been to our room. I'm sure the hotel would have taken care of this had we raised the issue, but it was late in the day and we didn't want to have to clear out for a maid to come in.

Overall, I woiuld say this hotel is average. If you take into consideration the surrounding area and location, which isn't the hotel's fault, I would put it below average. Pretty sure we won't be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Syracuse / Fairgrounds, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear DaveLovesDining,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with the location of our property as well as the breakfast and housekeeping. We will use your comments to improve our efforts. We all hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on a future visit.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Blenheim, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We were very happy to find availability. We were driving form ontario canada,to New Jersey and did not book anything for our pitstop. After stopping several exits before, we decided on my original choice for our over night stay. The hotel is in the middle of no where, but there was a nice restaurant that met our needs next door. I didn't feel overally safe in the area. We slept good and the breakfast was what we needed to get back on the road.

Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night on our way to Boston, MA. We rented 2 rooms and found them to be clean and adequate. The staff was friendly and the breakfast was good. If I was passing through again I wouldnt hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Spent 1 night at this hotel. As noted, it's out in the middle of nowhere but you're about 15 minutes from town. We arrived very early - noon - and the young woman behind the desk printed out directions to the Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse. Would recommend highly - Great food but get there early as it gets very crowded. Our room was ready when we returned from lunch. Clean and nice decor. We had a view of a paintball match going on at the building next door. Went to Quaker Steak and Lube for dinner. As noted in prior reviews, rather pricey even with the discount. Did use the pool and hot tub. Had both to ourselves for over an hour so we really enjoyed it. Overall - Nice stay.

Gatineau, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We book 2 nights at the Holiday Inn Express Syracuse/Fairgrouds. Our purpose in Syracuse was shopping. It was the perfect spot for a drive to Waterloo Premium Outlet and Syracuse's Carroussel Mall. Room was clean, pool was clean, breakfast included and close to the Quaker Steak and Lubes for a diner close to the hotel. Awesome.

Brooklin, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Stayed here as a place to sleep as a break for the family on the way home. I booked it because it was 1/2 way between my departure point and destination. However, I wanted a pool for the kids and breakfast in the morning so we could get on the road as soon as possible in the morning.

When I first arrived I went to the front desk where the receptionist was on the phone. There was no acknowledging that I was there as she finished her (personal) conversation. As she was talking the phone rang again and she told the person she was talking with that she would call them back...and answered the phone again! Granted, she did tell them to hold and then (finally) turned to greet me. I know this may sound petty but when I am staying as a guest at a hotel (and not a personal friend) I expect to be called "Mr." I hate being called by my first name. Maybe they don't want it to be formal, like I am staying with old friends? But I'm not. So be formal with me until I say "call me George".

The hotel is in the middle of nowhere. Everything is at least 15 minutes drive away. They suggested we go next door to the restaurant "Quaker Steak and Lube". Never heard of it but the hotel has a partnership and we received a discount of 10%. It call itself "best wings in the USA". I love my wings and these were the fattiest and greasiest wings I had ever eaten. Gross! Unless that's how Americans like their wings? Granted, the ribs were very yummy! The nice part was that it was kids' night so they had a magician making balloon animals. But it wasn't cheap even though kids eat free...and they make all the families sit outside to get their discount so it was VERY noisy and hot.

The pool was OK but very small. Even the kids (aged 7 and 9) commented that it wasn't clean...and they are usually happy with any body of water! That being said, they still had fun.

Room was very clean and comfortable. Definitely did the job. Not sure what happened with the review under us but the whole hotel (other than the pool) seemed very clean to us.

As for food, don't bother with the afternoon snack. Who wants to eat chips and salsa that have been sitting out (not on ice) all afternoon? Gross. The breakfast was brutal. When we went down at 8:30 there was hardly anything left and what was left was cold. No one was there the entire time we were there and nothing was re-filled. The toaster was broken so you could only do 2 slices at a time for the whole hotel! How about a fresh fruit salad? Or some FRESH baked goods (not cold and stale ones).

Check-out was very fast but I was not asked if I enjoyed my stay or asked to come back. The receptionist said to me "you're good to go". How about "Thank you for your stay Mr. ___. I hope you enjoyed your stay. Was everything to your satisfaction?"

I don't have huge expectations for a Holiday Inn Express but what I do expect is:

1. Great location (NO)
2. Nice Pool (POOR)
3. Clean (YES)
4. Good breakfast (NO)
5. Good value (NO)

At $140 a night I guess I had expected more. This stay was worth a $99 special. If you get it at this price you will be satisfied. I wouldn't stay here again, however. As I say in my title: "Average at best".

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Syracuse / Fairgrounds? Share your experiences!