We booked here because of good reviews, but we found our stay to be less than ideal. For a hotel that is so close to the fairgrounds, and advertises their proximity, you would think they would be properly staffed for big events like the NY State Fair. When we arrived, they indicated they were sold out for the next three nights - which should have been their first clue that they needed to staff up! The breakfast area was only staffed by one person and they could not keep up with the crowd - as fast as the hot food came out, it was consumed by the dozen people standing around by the counter waiting for it to come out. The pancake maker, which is my kids favourites and one of the reasons I booke at HI Express (because I know they will get a good hot breakfast) was broken the entire time we were there too. After waiting almost 30 min, we gave up and just ate toast and cinnamon buns.
Our second disappointment came with the hotel shuttle. They advertise the shuttle as a convenient option to get to the fairgrounds. I asked the front desk numerous times if we needed to pre-book times to use it and I was assured it was not necessary. When we called the front desk to arrange for a ride to the fairgrounds for the concert we were attending, we were told to come down to the lobby at 6pm for the next shuttle. We arrived at 5:45 just to be safe, and we were then told that there were already 11 people waiting for that shuttle and we'd have to wait for the next one (which would mean at least another hour since there is only one van - it would have to take those 11 people to the fairground, turn around and come and get us, then get back to the fairground - even the driver admitted this would probably be 90 minutes before we would actually get there!). Since we had tickets for a 7:00 show, we left in frustration and ended up driving ourselves - which just caused added stress since we hadn't anticipated working in the additional time to park and get into the park vs just getting droppped off at the front gate by the shuttle! You would think that when they are sold out because of the state fair, they would have more than one shuttle working!
Other little things make this hotel sub par - the fourth floor hallway severely reeked of smoke - consistently every day, housekeeping only left 3 sets of towels in our room when it is a "double queen suite" which is obviously meant to sleep 4 people - we had to track them down each morning to give us more towels or take extras from the pool - and the walls were paper thin - I could actually hear the actual conversation between two people in the room beside us (and they weren't shouting!).
Lastly, and probably most importantly, there was a severe lack of customer service here. On our second day staying at this hotel, we left for the day to spend at the fair, and when we returned to our hotel that evening, we noticed our door had been left open all day by housekeeping! They had turned the deadbolt across to allow it to not click shut and then left!!! Our room had been left unlocked with the door ajar for the entire day with all our stuff in it!!!!! When I called down to the front desk to notify them, they provided a short apology and said she would let the manager know the next morning and that we should let them know if anything was missing! We never received a phone call or visit from the manager which I think is unacceptable given the severity of the problem. We had a laptop sitting out on the desk, kids DSs sitting out, etc. They are just lucky that we are honest people and didn't give them a laundry list of missing items that they would need to reimburse us for!!!
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Syracuse / Fairgrounds Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express Syracuse / Fairgrounds Hotel Syracuse
- Wingate Hotel Syracuse
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Spinning Ferris wheels, hot funnel cakes and big name performers like Maroon 5 & Train are waiting for you at the Great New York State Fair, just minutes from the Holiday Inn Express® Syracuse - Fairgrounds Hotel in Warners, NY. Our hotel's convenient location off I-90 and quick access to I-690 means commuting in and out of the city is a breeze. If you're a business traveler looking for hotels near Syracuse, NY with meeting space, we have an event room that accommodates 50 and a boardroom that seats 10. Corporate guests also appreciate that we're close to Lockheed Martin, Sysco Food Services and Anheuser-Busch. A Business Center with copy, print and PC capabilities is provided, as well. In addition to being just four miles from the state fairgrounds, we're near Onondaga Lake Park, which is a great destination for those who love the outdoors. For those who prefer to shop, Carousel Center Mall is close by and Waterloo Premium Outlets are a short drive from Warners, NY. Our hotel's location also has easy access to Empire Expo Center, downtown Syracuse and Armory Square. While you stay at our hotel's facility near Syracuse, NY, you'll enjoy amenities like free high-speed, wireless Internet access and an indoor pool and spa. Each morning, you can enjoy a free, hot breakfast, as well, at the Express Start Breakfast Bar. Call today and let us help you plan your next trip to this beautiful area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, IHG, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Venere and Fareportal so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Syracuse / Fairgrounds reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.