First let me say I chose this hotel for the value and above average reviews from TripAdvisor members. This boutique hotel is also part of the Genesee Grande collection and they have nice properties so I had good expectations for Parkview. However, not only did our stay start on the wrong foot, it ended that way too. When we arrived, we found out the hotel was having electrical issues. The phones and elevator were not working. This is what that lead to:
1) I called multiple times from the airport since the hotel offers complimentary pick up, but I could not get through. We had to spend $35 on a cab.
2) We get to the hotel and we couldn't check in - our credit cards couldn't be swiped due to the phone issues. The front desk insisted on keeping a credit card number on file for "incidentals". Meanwhile, there is no mini bar in the room so I'm still wondering what they were concerned about. After 20 minutes or so dealing with this at the front desk, an off-site manager allowed us to check in.
3) Since the elevator wasn't working, we had to climb 3 flights of stairs to get up to the room.
4) For some reason, we end up with a handicapped bathroom. I booked a "deluxe king room". While the bed was comfortable, the bathroom was designed solely for someone with a wheelchair = not functional for people without this need. Because you don't have to climb into the tub, the water doesn't stay in the tub. The shower creates a big puddle of water on the floor when you get out. Not a good idea as someone can easily slip.
5) Sunday morning before we were to check out, the fire alarm goes off! Good thing we were packed and ready to go. We run downstairs and no staff could be found. No announcements were made either to let guests know what to do. If it were a real fire, I guess it's every man for himself! So we just left and a few minutes later, the fire department showed up. Obviously, the staff couldn't figure out how to shut off the alarm.
Overall, the staff was pleasant and the rooms are okay. The off-site manager gave us a $20 gift card to use at the restaurants because of the check in issue. But given our terrible experience, I would never come back. Also, the hotel is located in a very quiet area and while places you want to go are a short drive, it's a long walk to SU campus and the business area.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
We would like to thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. All of the issues you have encountered during your stay have been remedied. Renovations are never easy and your patience is very much appreciated.
We would like to introduce you to our sister property Hotel Skyler, located in the heart of the Syracuse University Campus.
Please Note: We are proud to announce that the Parkview Hotel elevator has been completely rebuilt and it is fully functional. In addition after January 1st 2013, we will now include a complimentary hot breakfast buffet each morning. Fresh coffee, juice, eggs, sausage and pastries to start your day all combined with free WIFI and free parking! Please come and see us again soon.
Staff & Management
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.