“Lovely Time.” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Buffalo, New York
“Lovely Time.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I want to say that I enjoyed this hotel very much. The furnishing was very comfortable and modern plush. I stayed two consecutive weeks for business, checking in on Monday and out on Friday. The staff was extremely friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. Also, this hotel was able to accommodate early check in for me without any fuss, which was a major plus for me.

The hotel and room that I stayed in were always exceptionally clean (+++ :) ) The hotel parking is in the rear and is a small lot, however, I never had any trouble parking close to the door. The hotel shares a shuttle with neighboring properties and the shuttle staff and coordination for pick up was PERFECT. I was lost and the "rescue" that I needed was right on time, I want to thank everyone at the hotel for making my experience so wonderful and I will definitely come back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ParkviewManagement, Manager at Parkview Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear brownsuga y,

We truly appreciate your feedback regarding your last stay and are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us at the Parkview Hotel. We look forward to your return as the Parkview Hotel becomes your home-away-from-home in Syracuse!

Staff & Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The hotel is older but nice as described by many. However when we arrived we were booked on the 6th floor. We got in the elevator and it stopped very abruptly and the doors opened about 2 feet from the floor. We jumped out and we were only on the 2nd floor. We called the desk to ask if the elevator was safe and they advised someone was working on it and we could try it again or take the stairs. We were quite alarmed that they would tell us to get on a faulty elevator. They did not offer to get us any help to get our bags to the 6th floor. The next morning we walked down the stairs after waiting for the elevator for awhile (no sign at the elevator to indicate it was not working). When we came back that afternoon the elevator was posted as out of service and we had to walk upstairs again. When we complained on the phone that we should have been offered assistance to get our bags up the stairs, they told us to take our concern to Hotwire since we had booked through them and not through the hotel. Not good service. But....if the elevator had not been an issue, I would recommend the hotel. Very clean and spacious room. Spotless bathroom. The coffee bar attached to the lobby had excellent latte.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ParkviewManagement, Manager at Parkview Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Lida S,

Please accept our apology for the technical difficulties regarding the elevator. We would like to let you know the Parkview Hotel elevator has been completely rebuilt and it is fully functional. Please come and see us again soon so that we can provide you with the service we are known for!

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

An old hotel in midtown Syracuse that has been updated adequately. Our room was good sized with all the amenities (coffee, fridge, microwave, flat screen tv), a comfortable bed and an attractive, renovated bathroom.

But the elevator, while cool to admire as an art deco installation, was very slow. Given that one of the two elevators was out of commission, we ended up using the stairs (good exercise up to the 5th floor!).

The windows in our room and in the stairwell all needed a good cleaning, which unfortunately led to a dingy feeling about the place - which actually was very clean, but it just seemed dark and dirtier when we wanted the morning sun.

We needed a one-night stop-over from I-90 and wanted something beyond the run of the mill highway hotels, which the Parkview was - though at about 12 miles from I-90 wasn't overly convenient.

I did learn, however, for last minute reservations, check Priceline - they had great last minute deals!

• Stayed September 2012
Montvale, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

So, I'd never been to Syracuse before, didn't know what to expect. I'd read some of the more "negative" reviews on here and was a little confused by them - confused but not deterred, especially since we got a FANTASTIC deal on the room through Hotwire. Thing is, on Hotwire you won't know which hotel it is until afterwards, I was thrilled though when I found out we were staying at the Parkview.

I suppose if you're used to chain hotel/motels on the highway and even in some cities where the look and feel of things is homogenous (not always a bad thing) then yeah, you might be a little "shocked" by the Parkview. I happen to love historical buildings (I've stayed in several that are designated "Historic Hotels of America) and appreciate architectual details as well as "flaws" that come with older buildings. The elevators WERE working. Yes, they're "slow" according to modern American, I WANT EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW standards. However, I thought their art deco style and the "old timey" details in them were a lot of fun. The stairwells are bright and clean if you don't want to wait for the elevator.

The security on the building is fantastic. However, I'm not saying that's because this is a "bad" area - I'm from NY, am used to a city - but even so, I don't know how you would say this is a "bad" area, I did not perceive any threats whatsoever (the Crowne Plaza is RIGHT next door by the way) so I'm not sure why other people were creeped out. That being said, I simply appreciate their attention to detail with security, there is always a security threat in any hotel and I feel like the Parkview has gone the extra mile to make sure you and your things are secure.

Front desk staff = FABULOUS. Special shout out to Charles, he was awesome. The on-site cafe was sooooooooo cute and cozy and wonderful. Downside - it closes at 9. However, I can see that they're not going to be busy enough to justify staying open past 9 and from a business standpoint I can understand that. Good snacks, AMAZING coffee and excellent wine and beer selection. Although no room service (that I know of), the girls working definitely helped us to get everyhing together to bring upstairs. I said I wanted 2 glasses of wine so I wouldn't have to come back down - she put the 2 small glasses in 1 giant glass. Good thinking!

No, there is no pool/spa/whatever here - I wasn't looking for that on my "checklist" so I could care less. If you ARE looking for more amenities, then yeah, you might want to look elsewhere. However, I know that most times, in a hotel with a pool, etc. you're not going to get great and large rooms unless you're spending $$$$, whereas here, with the Parkview, you're getting a beautiful, old room, with high ceilings and lots of space, both in the bedroom and the bathroom. We DID happen to get a handicapped accessible room, which I know is different. However, everyone seems to agree the size of the rooms is fantastic. Only con I have is that the bed was not on a box spring or frame, it was on top of like, this wooden platform (can't really call it a frame) and the mattress actually kind of slid around on it which was sort of annoying and odd. If they could resolve that little issue I'd be super happy.

Bottom line: I honestly can't wait to stay here again. I fell in love with the Parkview.

Room Tip: We were in a handicapped accessible room which was in a back corner, making it larger and very quiet...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Big, comfortable room, nice hotel, good location, nice place to grab coffee just off the lobby.

Only two problems -- the elevators are terrible. Had to give up and take the stairs a few times. Front desk person said they're being replaced, though -- they definitely need to be. Also, the Wifi is unreliable -- the signal indicated it was on, but it often went out despite that.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ParkviewManagement, Manager at Parkview Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear CGMDC,

Thank you for your patience and support as we are in the process of completing our elevator renovations. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Staff& Management
Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed here when we moved our child into school (Syracuse). The elevator (circa 1950 or so) was out of service for most of our stay. Our room was on the 5th floor. You cannot walk to campus, it's about 4 miles away. In fact, the hotel is located in an area without many, if any, shops or stores.
The only food available is a cafe that's open in the mornings for Starbucks-type food -- coffee, muffins, danishes, etc. There are some restaurants within a short drive, but the food is "college" food -- pizza, subs, that sort of thing.
All in all not a bad stay, but I will stay somewhere else next time we travel to Syracuse.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ParkviewManagement, Manager at Parkview Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Lawgirl3,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. On your next visit, please take advantage of our complimentary shuttle to Armory Square, which is a shopping and dining district of Syracuse. We also would like to welcome you to visit our sister property, the Genesee Grande Hotel, with an amazing restaurant, the 1060 Bistro. Feel free to check out its menu on our web page.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

If you need to spend a night in Syracuse, you should certainly consider this place.

The rooms were exceptionally clean and larger than average hotel rooms of the same caliber at other locations. I would have prefered queens to double beds though.

Parking is free with in/out priviledges.

Check in/out was smooth, and we had no issues with our stay the entire time we were there.

The hotel is also right near the 1-81.

The only thing missing at this place is a pool, which would have made the kids enjoy the stay even more.

If I am back in Syracuse anytime soon, I will stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: Stay on the first floor.
Dear billyspans,

Thank you for your kind review on TripAdvisor, and for recommending the Parkview Hotel to our future guests. Please know we can suggest many fun area attractions for you and your children to enjoy just stop by at the front desk! We look forward to seeing you next time your travels bring you to the area.

Staff & Management

Been to Parkview Hotel? Share your experiences!