“Still a very good choice for steak in the NYS Fairgrounds area” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
DeWitt, New York
“Still a very good choice for steak in the NYS Fairgrounds area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I reviewed Daniella's about a year ago, and my visit tonight reaffirmed what I had to say back then:

"I was a bit skeptical as I entered, as this is a somewhat small restaurant that shares a building with a fairly ordinary Best Western hotel. I was very pleasantly surprised at the very good food, generous portions, and attentive service. I live on the other side of town and this is a little out of the way, but I'll definitely be back.

While this is a steakhouse, it has an Italian influence as it offers risotto and pasta as alternatives to potato, and ciabatta bread is served with the meals. Not that there's any reason to avoid the baked potato--the one served with my wife's meal was absolutely huge (and tasty). I can't say whether the desserts are good, as we were so full that we couldn't try them."

I'd like to add that the owner visited the guests tonight, and his presence and gracious comments were a very nice touch. His commitment to making everything perfect was quite visible.

I've cooked steaks at home and I know that it is a real art to get them done just right, especially the thicker cuts. I can see how challenging this is for someone cooking numerous meals simultaneously. So I was understanding about my steak arriving medium/well, rather than medium, and didn't send it back because it was still very good. But I am sure that if any customer was truly unhappy with the way their meat was cooked, that they would make it right.

I expect to return, and would not hesitate to recommend Daniella's to my friends.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Clay, New York
“Never Again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I put a lot of faith in my fellow tripadvisor reviewers, which is why we gave Daniella's one more try recently - and will not return. Our first trip probably would have rated a weak 4 out of 5, but the most recent dinner sealed it's fate. First meal: concur with others that it is a very small space, but our reservations were honored and we even though there were just two of us we had a coveted 4 top table. Very good clam chowder, but my filet although very tender, was ordered medium and came out well done. My husband's steak had a little more pink to it and he was pleased. Because this is closer to our home than my other favorite local steakhouse (Scotch and Sirloin), I insisted we give it another try.

Second meal: We sat and waited for almost 15 minutes while the waitress chatted with another couple who was getting ready to leave. As a matter of fact at least two other parties came in and were promptly attended to by another waiter, while we waited for ours to make an appearance. We ordered a bottle of wine and bacon wrapped shrimp as an appetizer. As a former waitress, this would have been my first clue to provide the utmost attention to these customers...we barely received attention - much less anything special. The appetizer was good and we were then provided our salads and a small basket of bread (after another long wait). Because we were drinking wine we ate most of the bread right away and could have used some more - but there the empty basket sat (on a tiny table) until I finally handed it to the waitress when she brought our entrees. Although I guess she would have needed to come to our table to notice it was empty....The place is not big at all, and I swear I didn't see her for a good half hour, if not more - maybe she was doing double duty in the kitchen (?)

I gave the filet one more try, figuring a steakhouse must have gotten it wrong just that one time. Unfortunately that wasn't the case - if anything the filet was cooked even more well done than the first time. I possibly could have stomached it if I had received the horseradish sauce I had requested (which ironically the waitress confirmed that I wanted a sauce, and not just horseradish). Again, my husband's delmonico was a little more pink than my thicker filet - go figure! When the waitress finally made it back to us after we finished our meals, we asked that the remainder of his steak be wrapped up, and she wisked it away. She then brought us our check, cashed us out and only after we asked her for it - got us my husband's leftovers.

Honestly, I waited a few weeks before posting this review so it's really a very watered down version of our amazingly poor experience there. I could have even overlooked the downright awful service the second time if the steaks were cooked properly, but they weren't, and I can't...so even though I really really wanted to like Daniella's because of it's convenience, we won't return again.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa, Ontario
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

The salad was good, but we were disappointed with the entrees. We ordered four different entrees, 3 steak and 1 prime rib. One steak was returned for being overdone. The filet was okay, but the others were tough. We will not be returning.

Visited November 2013
New Orleans,La
“An oasis in the country”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Daniella's is located within a mile from the Syracuse Fairgrounds in the Best Western motel and is independently owned/operated.Having eaten there last spring I was anxious to try them again with my wife this time.We ordered the crabcakes appetiser which, while good, won't compete with Baltimore or New Orleans.For the main course I ordered the "prime" sirloin steak to be cooked "Pittsburg" or Black & Blue style.We confirmed the waiter knew it was to be char broiled on the outside and rare inside. My wife ordered the rack of lamb,medium rare.Of course they made hers rare and mine med rare.An offer was made to re-do but i kept it as we were keeping a social appointment.The lamb was wonderful and the "prime" steak had so much grissle it was surely not "prime" and not worth the money.

Even with the problems the night before we tried them again and this time it was excellent with the rib-eye for me and the veal sorrentino for my wife.

I do rate the restaurant as excellent,very good service and an interesting menu

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“This is the best in Syracuse?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We had a rib eye that was over cooked and prime rib that was undercooked and fatty.
Appetizers were less than average, too much cheese.
Desserts were unimaginative and bland.
I won't go back.