“Good, traditional diner” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Cornwall, Canada
“Good, traditional diner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Very large dinner with a menu to match. Had the Reuben and meatball sub with were great- home fries were excellent. Decent prices, good food, eficient service - what's not to like.

Visited June 2013

Liverpool, New York
“Diner Food and More”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We went to breakfast at Stella's on Saturday morning. There is a sign-up sheet and it took about 20 minutes but we didn't mind. They have a waiting area and coffee.
the place is big and the turnover is pretty fast. Our food was good but my eggs were not hot.
The waitress was too frazzled. She kept trying to do everything as fast as she could and kept making mistakes. Food order mistake, forgot to give us straws, forgot to give us the bill, etc. If she slowed down a little no one would mind and she could do a better job which equals better tips!
Food was normal - OK, nothing special.
Will go back. Salads and sandwiches are great.
Breakfast is OK is you don't mind greasy food.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
College Station, Texas
“Plan ahead and you won't be sorry”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Yes this typically has lines out the door, for a diner of all things. Must mean they serve good food and that was certainly our experience. When you go to a restaurant and the service is slow and the food mediocre it feels like a waste of time. So, during this trip the food portion, quality, temperature, and presentation was exactly as we wanted and expected, tasty. The service was timely and we didn't have to wait for drinks, ordering, clearing, or the check. When I see the server busy my patience increases because I know they are working. How many times have I eaten at a place and had to wait for a refill of water, another drink, or perhaps dessert and I look over and she the service team talking or simply doing nothing. In this case we had to time our requests with her busily taking care of everyone. She wasn't overwhelmed just working hard. It was a pleasurable experience. Loud only because of the number of people in the place but heck it is a diner and not a romantic outing. This has now become one of our A list diner eats in Syracuse.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
DeWitt, New York
“Pretty good as diners go”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stella's is a classic diner, and as long as you expect a diner experience and not something elegant, you can get a very satisfying meal here. Though the building is not 1950s vintage, the decor is inspired by that period, with the usual counter with stools, and booths with laminate tables. Nothing was ragged or badly worn that we could see.

Our meals were huge, tasty, and the main courses were clearly not "out of a box." I had the day's special, pot roast, and it was tender and flavorful. My wife had the roast turkey and it was not that horrid stuff sliced off a deli turkey roll that you get in some places; it was the real deal. The carrots with my meal had a freshly cut and cooked appearance and taste. The mashed potatoes were clearly homemade, as they contained a few forgivable lumps and some shreds of skin (intentional, I think). If, like my wife, you detest garlic in your mashed potatoes, never fear, there was no sign of garlic in these. Some sides, as is typical for diners, probably do come out of cans or prepackaged sources, but I do not agree with the reviewer who alleges that "it all came out of a box." (Remember that you'd be hard pressed to find a diner anywhere where none of the items came out of a box.) The portions, in classic diner tradition, are quite generous.

Though we did not use the rest rooms, as far as I can tell the place is fully handicapped accessible.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa, Canada
“2.5 / 5 - it all came out of a box”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Had heard about this place. It's convenient if you're shopping at the megamall 1/4 mile away. The mashed potatoes were terrific and real. Other than that, I think that everything on our two plates came out of a box or freezer or can. And it didn't need to. The stuffing with the turkey dinner was Stovetop I think, and the turkey itself was processed. The burger and onion rings were fresh from the freezer. It's not hard to actually make a burger if you have any interest in serving good food...
The atmosphere was big and slightly chaotic, but the server was friendly and pretty much a pro.
There are many better choices in Syracuse, even for something quick.

• Visited May 2013