“Not worth the money!” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Gentiles Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #72 of 546 Restaurants in Syracuse
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
“Not worth the money!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

In Syracuse, Gentile's has had a good reputation. A visit last week indicated a major problem. I don't know if there is a new chef or it was an off Saturday evening. I ordered the Summer Garden Risotto expecting it to have squash and maybe zucchini. It had lemons and limes - ugh! What were they thinking? Also, the wait staff was not friendly and seemed not to care about our dining experience. For a restaurant that is not shy about prices, I won't be going back.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Syracuse, New York
“Love the new location and food still rules!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Honestly, I think the interior is the nicest restaurant interior in Syracuse, so very glad to see it in use again and glad they moved to a location with a little more room. I'll have take care to keep it on my restaurant radar with the extra distance. The menu remains creative and delicious. Very nice wine selection. We ended up eating in the bar as it was a little quieter than the restaurant on this particular evening...might even enjoy the bar ambience more. Mmm...just thinking back on it makes me hungry. We had pasta dishes that were very tasty.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Syracuse, New York
“Quality restaurant, excellent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Gentile's food continues to be high quality and his sauces are heavenly. I would never think to mix some of the ingredients that the chef is able to turn into culinary delights. The new restaurant has lost some of the ambiance of the smaller location that was on Burnet Ave. (tripadvisor, they are on Geddes St. now) When you go, make sure you are seated in the main dining room. We were sent into the bar area and did not enjoy the atmosphere as much. Take note of the wine list as it contains many excellent choices at fair restaurant prices.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Syracuse, New York
“Great new location and wonderful food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We were a little worried about Gentiles moving to Geddes Street, but our worries are over. They have decorated the inside to make it feel more intimate than it actually is and the menu was very diverse. So much so, my husband and I both had a hard time deciding what to get. Our waiter, John, helped us out with that and he did a good job, besides the fact that his service was very attentive.
Nice wine list, good bread, many salads to choose from and our entrees were fabulous. We were not disappointed and will definately be back again.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Syracuse, New York
“90's hot tub time machine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I could have titled this Better Luck Next Time. Because, I really, really wanted to love this place. The chef is friendly accessible, the menu is ambitious, he obviously cares. But the reality is this would not fly in a real food driven city. Drop this place in Chicago/NYC/SF and it wouldn't make it. Why not? For one thing it seems very cliched, the menu reminds me of a me-too 90's restaurant. Everything sounds good, but the actual execution is lacking. Maybe it's just me and it's targeted to local tastes, but I found it sort of bland with a fancy sauce dribbled over it. If I were the Chef I would close during a slow month and go eat my way through a major culinary destination city.

Visited February 2012