“Great Brisket and Pulled Pork” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 609 Restaurants in Syracuse
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Charlotte, NC
“Great Brisket and Pulled Pork”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Visited Syracuse recently and finally had the pleasure of eating at Dinosaur! The place was packed even at 5:30 p.m. (a bit earlier than I usually have dinner) however, they said the wait would be only 10-15 minutes. We sat at the bar to get a cold beer and the bar attendant took our beer order then asked if we would like to have dinner at that location...order could be taken immediately! She served the beer - took our order and we had our dinner within about 10 minutes. Because the placed was at capacity it was a little loud but not a problem....did not expect quite and sedate. Great food, good service, nice selection of beer....who could ask for anything more! Oh...sides we had included collards (very good), bbq beans and fresh cut fries.

Danbury, Connecticut
“Too Much Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Dined at Rochester Dino the night before. Original is smaller and more rustic inside - outside benches are the place to be. Food and service were very good. Lice music wonderful. A must go every time in Syracuse.

Glen Rock, New Jersey
“Who knew Dinosaur meat was so tasty?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Everyone told us we HAD to go here — so we did! It was packed but we only waited about 20 for a table. Loved the atmosphere and the food. It was busy but not overwhelming. Lots of stuff on the walls to look at: old movie posters & pop culture stuff. Food was great and none of us could finish our meals! Great ribs, of course ... and everything else was good too. Service was speedy.

I hear there is a Dinosaur Bar-B-Que in NYC, as well. I will have to try it.

Northern California
“How to describe? Weird”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Don't know the best way to describe this place - it is a blending of Chili's (restaurant chain) decor and Hell's Angels motorcycle club and down home cooking....

I am the customer no waitress wants - "what can I get you to drink?" "beer" "what kind?" "surprise me" - - "what are you going to have to eat" "surprise me"

And I wasn't disappointed - I had the Carolina sandwich - pulled pork with some of the best cole slaw I have had in a long time - very tasty macaroni salad - mediocre mac & cheese. I also had the Creole Deviled Eggs, kinda salty, but very tasty and a great kick at the end of each bite.

The patrons were everything from tatted up college kids, to blue collar workers, to guys in suits trying to keep sauce off their ties. Prices are VERY reasonable - food was VERY good - - when I left I was at that uncomfortable full stage - but that was because I couldn't stop eating (and no I couldn't finish it all)

Next time for sides I think I'll just order cole slaw and more cole slaw.

Steve

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Columbus, Indiana
“Very good BBQ on a road trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

My 24 year old son and I were on a baseball road trip heading to NYC. We stopped over in Syracuse for the night. We had heard about Dinosaur and wanted to give it a try. It was a Saturday night and we rode around downtown. There was nobody around. Then suddenly, as we approached the restaurant, things picked up a bit. The place was very crowded. We figured we would have a wait on a Saturday so we were not surprised. We waited outside as the lady at the check in desk yells your name. I mean she yells. After about 30 minutes, our name was called.
The place is very crowded and tables are very close together. It is loud and hard to hear your dining partner. The waitress was prompt in greeting us and taking our drink order. Our food was a bit slow coming but not terrible.
We started with chicken wings. They were above average. Good size and good sauce.
We both had the "Big A-- pork plate". The meat was very tender. Not sure if this makes sense but it may have been too tender. Almost like it was soaked in water. Being from the south, I have had my share of barbecue. Usually there is some firmness. However, it was very good. I had the mac and cheese. It was good, not great. The cornbread that comes with the meal was good and moist.
Overall, I am glad we ate here. Good Barbecue and good sides.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere