“Catfish is the Big Fish in the BBQ Pond” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 607 Restaurants in Syracuse
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine
New Jersey
“Catfish is the Big Fish in the BBQ Pond”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I have only been here once before a couple years ago and remember it as being hard to get a seat and having better than average grub. Although the place was full we only had about a five minute wait which was not bad. I started with a beer and got our appetizer order in quick. They offer Jumbo BBQ Chicken Wings (spice-rubbed, pit-smoked, then finished on the grill) served with bleu cheese dressing, celery sticks and a choice of sauce. We went with the combo of BBQ and Jerk wings ($14). There were 13 wings of mixed size. They had a nice but not overpowering smoke taste and were juicy. We also ordered Catfish Strips (Mississippi farm raised, cornmeal dusted, southern fried, with their spicy tartar sauce). The catfish strips were very good and left us wanting more! Our main course was the Pork & Brisket plate which included pulled Bar-B-Que pork and four slices of Texas beef brisket ($18). For our two sides we went with cole slaw and collards. The brisket slices were tender as was the pulled pork but not close to the best I have had. Of the two Dino sauces at table side I liked the hotter (peppery) one. The collards, made with turkey necks, was minced rather than traditionally cut. I didn’t like the texture and the taste was OK yet not over salted like most places. The cole slaw was too tart and made my eye go down every time I took a fork full! Lol! It also came with a small piece of cornbread which was very oily.

A comment that came from my wife was that the help didn’t look too happy here. I guess it may have been a long day. The place does do a lot of business and it is somewhat of a fast paced place. Total tab with tax and 18% tip was $52.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Beijing, China
“some of the best BBQ ever, though getting expensive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

the famous restaurant that began in Syracuse, here you will have some of the best BBQ that is as good as it gets anywhere in Texas even with a wide array of delicious sauces. It's been over 10 years since I last ate here and have to say that the portions have decreased in size as the prices have gone up, which was my only disappointment.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

This was our first visit to the Dinosaur BBQ. The best part of this restaurant is the atmosphere, not the food. Definitely a 'fun' place, but the food was average at best. Portion sizes were smaller than expected and way too much smothering of the bbq sauce on the food -couldn't differentiate between the different types of meat. Also, we were seated in a back corner under an air vent, where all we could smell was the overpowering odour of ash from the bbq. The service was very good though.
For us, this restaurant was not worth the hype.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Westchester, NY
“Worth the wait for BBQ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We visited this restaurant on a Sunday night. We arrived at 6:30 pm. We were not seated until 7:50 pm. That being said, it was some of the best bbq I have ever had. The bbq brisket was tender and delicious. The ribs were so tasty! We liked the mac n'cheese. The baked beans were good. The carrot raisin salad was too vinegary. Overall it was worth the wait!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Waited four years, worth the wait!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I have wanted to go to this restaurant since hearing about it four years ago. Well I finally got there and although there is always a long wait, the staff is very accommodating and actually seated our party of 30. We had to be separated but we all ate and the food is amazing, well worth the wait. Wish the town of Syracuse would allow them to expand to the surrounding vacant buildings!!!

• Visited October 2013