“Pretty good for "campy" greasy-spoon place!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Rochester, New York
1,525 reviews 1,525 reviews
1,001 restaurant reviews
“Pretty good for "campy" greasy-spoon place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

This was my first visit to the Gem Diner, and I must admit that I was pretty impressed! The first sign was a line out the door as people were waiting for tables. Popularity often spells success among restaurants, and this is a perfect example. The restaurant is well known for being a campy breakfast location, with a menu that is geared toward that time of day. With the possible exception of lox & bagels, which I did not see on their menu, I believe that they had just about everything.

I ordered corned beef hash with toast and a fruit cup, and the dish they brought me was LOADED with a huge portion. Some of the other plates around me bordered on the ridiculous...they would have made 2-3 meals for most people.

Service here was also good, and they took care of everything I needed. I really enjoyed my meal, and would look forward to coming back sometime.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Waymart, Pennsylvania
“The Turkey dinner was terrific”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I came here with a friend while traveling through Syracuse. I had the turkey dinner and will be back for it again. The portions were good and the price reasonable. Friendly waitstaff also...

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York
“A GEM!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Ate here for the first time recently. Loved the atmosphere; just plain fun. We sat in the front section, in a booth by the counter, and it was cold (we were by a window) - BRRRRRR. Waitress, Nicole, was super sweet and funny. In fact, all of the staff seemed nice, joking around with us and each other (topic of the evening seemed to be the new Cheesecake Factory that opened at Destiny USA). Hubby had the rueben and declared it to be better than the one he had a few weeks before at Coleman's Irish Pub (also in Syracuse). That's saying something! I had the open hot roast beef sandwich with mashed potatoes. Real mashed potatoes! Not instant. Huge portion; still eating it at home! Shared a piece of peach pie (from Geddes Bakery); it was OK, will try homemade cake next time. and there will be a next time, for sure. Thanks Gem!

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Great diner breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic pancakes. Delicious omelets. Some of the best bacon I've ever eaten. Great coffee. I'm a breakfast
lover and this place was great!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Syracuse, New York
“A long standing tradition”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We go there several times a year. It is a great breakfast place, and back in the day, it was the only place open after the bars closed. The new owners have improved the place quite a bit. It is much cleaner. The service depends on how busy it is, but we have never had the wait times that others have complained about. The food is standard diner fare, all good, large portions, but anyone who is expecting gourmet food is not being real. It is a good solid place, and worth the trip.

• Visited August 2013