“good place for children” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 60 things to do in Syracuse
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: A museum that features hand-on exhibits in a broad range of scientific areas, including physics, the universe and space travel, computers and telecommunications, the environment and more. The museum also includes New York State's only Full-Dome IMAX Omnitheater.
Shokan, New York
40 attraction reviews
“good place for children”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

This museum has alot of interactive things for children to do. Most of the displays you can try and see what happens to the display and see if everyone gets the same result. The train track that is in the beginning prt of the museum is HUGE. They also have a section of the museum dedicatd to 9/11 which is in my eyes absolutely outstanding! They also have a motion ride that is a few extra dollars but, you go inside for a virtual ride.

Visited January 2012
kevinlucas42, Manager at Museum of Science & Technology, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
It's great you enjoyed the museum! Isn't the train impressive? I've never seen a layout that big! Granted I'm not necessarily an an enthusiast so I haven't seen many layouts but I enjoy the exhibit too. We have a staff person who actually set up a wireless camera on one of the cars so you could watch it going around the track from the perspective of a "rider" on a monitor. It looked like one of those old time movies using miniature sets. We've got some clever minds here I think and we sure do like to have fun with the exhibits.

The 911 gallery has unfortunately left the museum to go to it's next home on it's tour. We were all humbled when it came in. It really brought it into reality when we saw the pieces laid out in front of us. Pictures and videos aren't enough.

Have a great day Sue and I hope to meet you some day at the museum!

Ontario, Canada
42 attraction reviews
“Museums have really changed.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

As a child, I had to be almost dragged into museums. Today, I have to be dragged out. Almost without exception, they are nothing like they were all those years ago. No longer are they simply rooms full of 'stuff'. An enormous amount of time, thought and expertise has gone into creating informative and interesting displays which appeal to young and ols alike. Museum of Science and Technology is an excellent example of this. Well worth a visit.

kevinlucas42, Manager at Museum of Science & Technology, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
It's great to hear that someone used to a beautiful area like Ontario enjoys our museum! Next time you're in the states, I hope you'll stop in again and ask for me (Kevin) so I can say hello and thank you.

You are correct. We have spent a lot of time, resources and effort in upgrading the museum over the last few years. It's great to know our visitors are noticing the new exhibits and upgraded experiences.
Baldwinsville, New York
3 attraction reviews
“Great learning experience for the kids and adults, with a great Imax theater too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

My daughter loves to go here whenever we get a chance. A lot of hands-on science things for the kids to do, as well as great exhibitions and IMAX movies. Great wat to spend a day, especially when the weather isn't great for outdoor activities!

Visited January 2012
kevinlucas42, Manager at Museum of Science & Technology, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
Thanks so much for supporting the Museum Treyonne! I hope you and your daughter will come back. Ask for me at the front desk when you visit. I'd be happy to say hi.
Boston
13 attraction reviews
“Worthwhile for a family with kids”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

I found the NY geology and history interesting but otherwise was bored to death at some of the tired displays. Proof of this is I don't even remember if there was a gift shop! The theater is great however and the big screen is a lot of fun.

Visited June 2011
Hi Amalfitana_Baby.

You're right. The IMAX Dome is amazing. I'm glad you enjoyed the museum as a whole but I'm sorry your experience wasn't what you expected in some areas. Many of the older exhibits you mention are being worked out as we install new exhibits as part of our current capital campaign.

I hope you'll come back when you're in the area again and give me a chance to give you a small tour of some of the newer exhibits and explain our over-all plan. Feel free to ask for me at the front desk (Kevin) before you buy your tickets. If I'm not in the building, have the front desk call my cell.

Boston has a beautiful science museum as well. You must visit it often. I haven't been in a while but I remember it being spectacular.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
35 attraction reviews
“Much improved”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

Ober the past five years the museum has doneajor work to improve exhibits and upgrade the various spaces. For younger kids the indoor funhouse is particularly good in winter and on rainy days. There is plenty of science as well, and the IMAX has good films. As a model rail enthusiast the central new York club has their layout at the museum.