“Great choice for Syracuse area” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bed & Breakfast Wellington

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Syracuse
Bed & Breakfast Wellington
You added Bed & Breakfast Wellington to your Saves list
707 Danforth St, Syracuse, NY 13208   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Syracuse B&B and Inns
Ann Arbor
“Great choice for Syracuse area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

We stayed at the Bed & Breakfast Wellington for the first and last day of our trip, and after a week on the road, our last night was like coming home. Wendy and Ray are gracious hosts and the beds were the most comfortable we’ve found at a B & B. The house is filled with flowers, inside and out (you must check out her kitchen), which lends a homey atmosphere. Rooms were spotless and well-maintained. Our second-floor room had a door leading to a lovely screened-in porch.
Wendy’s cooking is terrific. She excels at the weekend breakfasts, which may be a bit heavy on carbs, but splendid in the variety of special pastries, apple cakes, muffins, stuffed French toast, etc. We found plenty of special touches with each breakfast.
The location is close to the freeway, the University, and downtown restaurants, while still being in a quiet residential area. Ray’s written directions for local shops, restaurants, and attractions made it easy to find our way around town. The people we met here were some of the nicest and most interesting of any we’ve met at a B & B. Most were repeat visitors, which is understandable. We would definitely recommend it to anyone coming to the Syracuse area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
new orleans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

We have stayed here nine time in the past four years. Every time Ray and Wendy bent over backward to make our stay a pleasure. If you can arrange it, aim to stay on a weekend so that you can sit down to one of Wendy's remarkable breakfasts. We have stayed at a great many B&B's; none has been better.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Omaha, NE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

The way I selected Bed & Breakfast Wellington was totally unscientific..it was the 1st result in the list! The innkeepers are delightful and the property is gorgeous with its antique furniture, oriental rugs, porches and fireplaces. I got to see all of the guestrooms in the house, and found them all to be large and most have private baths (updated). Breakfast was wonderful each day.

My original plan was to be there 3 nights, but circumstances changed, and I was there almost 2 weeks. Ray and Wendy (innkeepers) went out of their way to make my stay with them comforting and enjoyable. That's quite a trick when the reason for my travel ended up being to handle funeral arrangements for a relative that passed away!

Do yourself a favor, stay with these folks, it will be a "best memory" for you too!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2008

The Bed and Breakfast Wellington is one of my favorite places to stay! I visit every year. Wendy and Ray are such wonderful gracious hosts. Everything is at my fingertips, and I'm always so comfortable. The rooms are heavenly and peaceful no matter what time of year I'm there. Breakfast is always made to perfection. I'm already looking forward to my next visit!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hendersonville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

I am a repeat client of this bed and breakfast, having stayed in all but one of the five rooms. It is attractive, clean and comfortable in all seasons. The home-made breakfasts are excellent and filling. The house is stunningly decorated in November for the holiday season with many themed trees throughout.

I have stayed in other local properties, hotel, motel, and B&B, and overall find I prefer this place above all others. I have been fortunate to meet numerous other repeat clients of the B&B Wellington who feel the same way.

The house is a well-maintained example of Arts and Crafts architecture. Porches are available to enhance your comfort during the warmer months. Bathrooms are well-appointed, robes are supplied, and there is a hospitality closet providing complimentary snacks and drinks. The house offers both wired and wireless Internet access. Ample off street parking is in the rear of the house.

Whether you are interested in local schools, events, or other attractions, the owners Ray and Wendy can provide you with simple directions wherever you need to go. Special needs of clients are readily met, for instance those of bicyclists riding through the area along the Erie canal.

• Liked — The architecture and the owners' hospitality
  • Disliked — On selected weekends it may be necessary to reserve way in advance
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Plano, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

I regret giving a low rating (as they were such nice people), but the comments on Tripadvisor have allowed me to make educated decisions in the past and I wish to truthfully add to the body of experiences found here.

The house is a lovely historic structure filled with beautiful antiques in a relatively safe neighborhood. The location is easy to find and is within close driving distance to both the armory shopping district and the airport. This plus the good reviews on Tripadvisor made me feel confident in my booking.

We were greeted warmly by our hostess when we arrived and were given the grand tour of the home. In the hall across from our room, is a courtesy closet with a refrigerator containing cold drinks and snacks. A thoughtful touch. When we walked into our room (the Lakeview Room) we were met with stifling heat. When I asked if they had a fan we could use, the hostess seemed perplexed at the request –after all, they had central air, she stated. Thank goodness she brought the fan.

My husband worked the thermostat in the hall. After which, we escaped to a restaurant near the armory in hopes that the room would be hospitable upon our return. No such luck. Hindsight Hint: The hosts were sitting outside with the other guest on the back porch when we returned- because it was cooler outside in the 90+ degree heat than inside the house.

After an hour of watching a dvd that I had brought (the cable had been knocked out by a storm a few days earlier) we realized that the single vent on the ceiling had never been opened!!! It’s not like we came unexpectedly; I had booked months in advance. Even after hubby stood on a chair and flipped the knob, the room never did become bearable. They must have purchased a unit incapable of cooling the house (it is quite large) as none of the rooms we entered were ever comfortable during our stay.

The bed was comfortable with soft pillows but had a tendency to squeak every time my husband turned over or shifted. The irksome sound reminded me of the bed in the movie, Delicatessen.

Although the room’s bathroom was beautiful and spacious, it contained no useful toiletries beyond dispensers of Dial and some Q-tips. For seasoned travelers who pack light or take carry-on only this may be a problem.

Breakfast was tasty, with fresh fruit and warm cinnamon muffins. Boiled eggs and cereal were also offered. We were informed that a gourmet breakfast was given on the weekends. Huh? As we were guests for a weeknight only, I wondered what the point was in imparting this information.

In conclusion, a beautiful place with nice hosts but not recommended during the summer. Our hosts are not God; they don’t control the weather. I am fully aware that the temperature outside is not their fault. But the temperature inside is their responsibility. Constantly repeating an apologetic “it’s usually not this hot” is not helpful. We were paying guests, customers. Clients’ well-being and comfort should be a top priority. They chose to be in a service industry. Buy window units for the rooms if the central air is over-taxed. It gets hot in the summer, even in upstate NY. I feel sorry for anyone who booked a room in July or August.

Our bill for one weeknight stay was $141 including tax. As this was the highest rated B&B in Syracuse, we have concluded that we will just book an impersonal hotel should we ever need to stay in the city again.

• Liked — Friendly hosts, lovely house
  • Disliked — Bed, lack of A/C
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2005

One of the most welcoming and charming b&b's I've ever stayed in. Wendy and Ray not only run a beautiful and traditionally furnished place, but they made every effort to ensure our stay was comfortable, well-equipped and especially well-fed! I genuinely felt we were staying with friends who extended every kindness and courtesy whilst in their home, whilst we still had all the comforts and privacy of an excellent b&b - highly recommended! A great base for exploring the Finger Lakes, and within easy reach of Niagra

• Stayed April 2005

Been to Bed & Breakfast Wellington? Share your experiences!