“Very good food, but housekeeping needs improvement” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
DeWitt, New York
“Very good food, but housekeeping needs improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Our meals were excellent, prepared with some showmanship at the hibachi grill by a Japanese chef. The salads were tasty, the meat was very good quality and cooked perfectly, and the vegetables were flavorful.

They offer a regular menu in addition to the hibachi cooked meals, so if you prefer a more private meal (hibachi seating might put you at a table with strangers), that option is available.

This is a good place to bring the whole family, as the kids will find the cooking show as interesting as the adults.

I might consider an excellent rating for this restaurant (I gave the one on Erie Blvd. in Syracuse an excellent rating) but a few housekeeping flaws resulted in a downrating. One is that when we arrived, the floor in the area with the hibachis was dirty--littered with stray bits of vegetables and other food that could have been fugitives from the energetic cooking of the chefs, or maybe just dropped by diners. Either way, it was a poor first impression that only got worse by the time we left. I had to step around the stuff. Do they not have brooms or mops in Japan? I also had to switch my chair twice. The first chair I had wobbled precariously, and I was afraid it might collapse and deposit me on the not very clean floor. I switched it for an unoccupied chair and found food on the seat. Yes, restaurants should clean not just the floor but the seats. Add it all up, and it destroys the atmosphere of the place.

So, the food and how it is presented are very good here. I just wish management would pay more attention to the housekeeping. In the future, I will restrict my visits to Koto to the Erie Blvd. restaurant, where I did not experience these issues.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Hornell, New York
“Classic Hibachi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Very entertaining and the food was delicious! Very nice atmosphere, clean, friendly staff. Only 6 Hibachi tables but plenty of dining room space. Really enjoyed my meal! Definitely worth it!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Holy Snack Hour- 8:00-9:30pm Sunday thru Thursday!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Amazing specials on several specialty rolls after their dinner hours. Skip the hibachi, and grab a table at the bar, ask for snack hour specials. Yum!! Rainbow Roll, King Kong Roll! $6.50 each, with many other rolls to choose from, what a deal!!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Flint, mi
“Snack Hour special - Sunday to Thursday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

At 8:00pm to 9:30pm this place has a half-price deal on some of their 6 pc. sushi rolls.

This is one of the best bargains in this whole mall (Now called Destiny USA).

My wife and I went here for this deal and we were not dissappointed. Though the sushi isn't the best we've ever eaten... it still was good and fresh, and definately worth getting at the half-off prices.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ottawa, Canada
“A pleasant surprise for a mall restaurant...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Recently visited Syracuse for a weekend shopping trip. This is our second visit to this restaurant and it was just as enjoyable as the first. We ordered a selection of appetizers and sushi. The avocado salad is delicious and very reasonable (~$5). The appetizer seared tuna was also delicious. The selection of sushi we ordered was on par with other restaurants I have tried in various cities. The quality of the food was very good as was the presentation. Service was excellent too on both occasions. This is a convenient and great dining option if you are visiting this mall.

• Visited April 2013