“"Welcoming Staff"” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Syracuse
North Scituate, Rhode Island
“"Welcoming Staff"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed during a snowstorm and spent more time in the hotel as a result. The staff was warm and welcoming - particularly the bartender. With the fireplace, couches, and bar area all in an open area in the lobby, I felt like I was hanging out at a friend's house. It was an informal and relaxed atmosphere - not stuffy like some hotels. The rooms were lovely and the bed was REALLY comfortable! If my son gets accepted to SU, I would come back to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I've literally stayed at every hotel in Syracuse, and this one is my favorite: very funky; very cool. Great location for SU-related activities and Varsity Pizza. Staff is very friendly. I highly recommend the Skyler.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I chose the hotel due to its TA rating and I have to say it's well warranted. The location is great and it was so easy (and inexpensive) to get around town from there. The hotel itself is gorgeous, I just loved my room. The bar is great too, a bit pricey by what seemed like Syracuse standards but right on target for what I'm used to paying in DC, plus the bartender was a total sweetie who chatted with us for a while. I love that the hotel has a emphasis on being eco-friendly and managed to repurpose such a cool building into a lodging space. I'll definitely stay here again next time I come to won.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brockville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Travelled to Syracuse earlier this week to take in an NCAA basketball game at the Carrier Dome. The Hotel Skyler looked like the place to stay based on what we saw. It's LEED certification (platinum level) only added to its cache!!
Happy to report that this hotel exceeded our expectations in every way. From it's street presence through to our room, it was crisp, clean and inviting. All of the staff were exceptionally pleasant, helpful and very welcoming. We checked into our room which was spacious, bright and meticulously clean, tidied up and walked to the game with time to spare for the 3:30 start. After the game we walked back to the hotel, enjoyed a glass of very palatable wine at the bar and made arrangements to dine downtown. We had planned to hire a cab but the hotel staff informed us that the hotel limo was available to take us to and from the restaurant of our choosing and yes, this was INCLUDED in our room rate. We then had the pleasure of meeting Bruce who was the driver that evening. Courteous and professional yet at the same time, very welcoming and in possession of a fine sense of humour. "Bruce from the Scuce", as we later learned, was also a great advocate for his city of Syracuse. Knowledgeable of both it's history and present, he made our drive truly enjoyable and really added to our evening.
The next morning I discovered that I had lost one of my gloves which was problematic as it was very cold and the drive north was scheduled to be blizzard like. When I called the front desk to ask if one had been found, the concierge mentioned that the described glove would be found on our room door handle. Unbelievable but there it was!!
All of this speaks to how satisfied we were with the Hotel Skyler but the other key point is that it was a fantastic deal. We stayed under the "Destiny USA" package so in addition to our king bedded room we enjoyed a $25 beverage/food credit (which more than covered our glasses of wine at the bar) and a $25 American Express shopping card good at many of the shopping establishments in/around Syracuse. This for the grand total of $129.00/night plus taxes. Fantastic!!
We plan to return and will definitely stay at the Skyler.

Room Tip: Noticed on the hotel website that you can choose your pillow type. Unfortunately, we forgot to ment...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Oceanside, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Have stayed at hotel skylar three times while visiting my Syracuse University student. The cleanliness and comfort of this hotel are beyond compare ! Have never been disappointed. Staff extremely courteous...and has a nice bar !!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ParkviewManagement, Manager at Hotel Skyler, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Maryann N,

Thank you for being a loyal guest of Hotel Skyler. We are pleased to hear you enjoy your stay while in Syracuse and look forward to your next visits.

Larchmont, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My 12 year old son and I drove up to Syracuse on a friday night to catch a hoops game the next day at noon. After driving 4+ hours in the rain, I needed a comfortable and clean hotel to spend the night. The Skyler was all that and more. Great service, stylish and inviting without the feel of being in a large generic hotel. My son loved the metal beam going through the room and his very soft and comfy bed. Better yet, walking distance to the Dome and all the restuarants and shops. Would definitely stay at the Skyler again if back in Syracuse!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear skatz927,

Thank you for the 5-star review! We are so happy to hear you and your son enjoyed staying with us. We look forward to your next visit.

New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

First I'll start off by saying the rooms are lovely, so is the downstairs lounge with the fireplace. The staff was all very nice and attentive and the shuttle service was a definite bonus. However.... a place that goes to such lengths to be detail-oriented and eco-sensitive should not nickel and dime you over lesser amenities. Case in point: I stayed one night last week when I was in Syracuse for a work presentation. This is January in upstate New York, very cold and snowy. Although they'll include something generous like shuttle service to and from my presentation with your room fee (and both concierges made a point of calling me on my cell phone so I wouldn't have to wait outside in the snow), they make you pay extra for coffee and food.

Additionally, there is no restaurant or room service. Instead they have a cafeteria style "rest station" where they have cold $9 sandwiches and $8 soup next to a microwave. They really have to have some nerve to charge those prices for cold food I have to prepare MYSELF, instead of having a restaurant or even a basic cafe setup. When I asked if there was a hot meal I could order from nearby, the concierge actually pulled out take out menus from nearby pizza and Chinese restaurants! BEYOND TACKY. He was kind about it but it just did not match the decor or demeanor of the hotel. I'd understand charging me for the shuttle to non-airport or train station destinations but to make guests pay for coffee in the morning and to prepare their own airport-quality food was off-putting and tawdry. I mean, it was $2, just tack that on to the cost of the room, you know? I live in Manhattan so while the accommodations were up to par, their confusing decision to not offer minor (and basic) amenities left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
ParkviewManagement, Manager at Hotel Skyler, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Bea A,

We are happy to hear you enjoyed the features of our hotel and the services we provide for our guests. Please know we are currently reviewing dining options. In the meantime, our sister property the Genesee Grande Hotel, and its 1060 Bistro is less than 2 blocks away. There are a number of other dining options within few blocks, and guests are welcome to take advantage of our shuttle service. Thank you for your review, as complete guest satisfaction is our goal.

Staff & Management

Been to Hotel Skyler? Share your experiences!