“john milton inn” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 30 hotels in Syracuse
Mayfield, New York
“john milton inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed here while my wife had surgery. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The room was nice and clean. I wil be staying here again in the future. It has a great location with dunkin donuts right next door and a denny's across the street.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

19 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

This hotel is right of the highway (exit 35 off I-90) with alot of other hotels. The others were all booked (strange, to me) so we stayed here. The desk help was very kind but the room was disgusting! We were only going to be there for 6 hours to sleep and thought about sleeping in the car instead but that did not seem safe. We slept in our clothes as the sheets were thread-bare and there was no mattress pad. You could see the mattress right through the sheet. The bathroom was dirty, towels (???) were like sandpaper. Did not want to touch anything.
The was far worse the the worst hotel we ever stayed at. After this stay, we decided to use trip advisor for the rest of our vacation! it was a mistake to not check here first! So keep driving if this is your only option!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My boyfriend and I needed a fast place to stay for two nights because of the college football game. They mysteriously lost my reservation that i made for 2 days even though i had the confirmation paper with me and overall the staff there was unhelpful and very rude. One woman who i wish i had her name did absolutely nothing for me and basically explained that nothing could be done and in the end charged me more for the room. A room that is disgusting in anyone’s standards and the place is creepy. Random people stand outside and because of this i will never come back to this place and i would recommend that no one goes here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Campbellford, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We were flying out of Syracuse and decided to stay here as we just needed a place to layover until our flight

Driving in we knew we were in for something different, sketchy people hanging out in cars and in front of lower level rooms. Walking into the lobby you could smell stale smoke and some other undefinable smell/s.

The "breakfast" cinnamon buns were stacked on a fridge and a sign saying use older stuff before new.

The delight was the hacking cough of one staff member before she went outside for another smoke...

While I understand it can take significant amounts of money to upgrade a hotel/motel, taking care of the place and repairing the little things can go a long way.

The younger woman working there made an effort to be pleasant and that was appreciated, I hope she can find a job in another place that will appreciate her.

We were on the "non smoking" floor and our sheets reeked of smoke. There was some definite biological matter on the bathroom walls and all night we heard doors slamming.

We've stayed in a Cuban 3 star hotel and it was a better and cleaner experience than this place.

Save yourself the trouble and stay elsewhere...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Stayed here one night during a weekend shopping trip…. Worst hotel/motel I have ever seen or been in. It looked like one of the ones you would see on T.V on some homicide detective show. The reason why we ended up staying here was because we decided to use the Hotwire feature on Expedia..
This place is run down, dirty, and smells of stale smoke. The bottom floor of the hotel is occupied by what looks like people who actually live there. They all we’re gathered outside in the evening and early morning drinking and yelling.
Our room was so disgusting. The bathroom was not clean, and had hairs everywhere. The fixtures were rusted, and the towels reeked of cigarette smoke. (We had booked a non-smoking room). The bed sheets were filthy, and stained.. same with the mattress. The window wouldn’t open, and had a giant crack down the middle of it. The carpet, seating and bedding was all moist. The door to the room didn’t shut properly, and the lock mechanism was extremely sketchy. We also had to give a 10$ deposit for the room key and the remote for the television. The remote that went to our room didn’t even work, and the majority of the channels on TV didn’t work either.
The hotel offered a free breakfast, and we obviously didn’t go near it! We went to the Duncan Donuts beside the hotel lot. Which I also do not recommend.
I highly recommend to not stay here, you are better off to sleep in your car, or just book something else. Any amount of money paid to this hotel is too much. I wouldn’t stay there for free.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

We left the beautiful luxurious Carlisle Inn,Sugar Creek Ohio early and drove all day to reach Syracuse.Around 7:30 pm we stopped at a service area near Syracuse and started calling Hotels for a room but most were full on this Friday night.
We only needed a room to sleep and shower in the morning as we would be out all night at the Turning Stone Casino and so we decided to look in the Room Saver for a hotel with discount coupons.
We called the John Milton Inn on Thompson Blvd and the woman who answered the phone said they had a vacancy but didn't accept coupons on Friday nights.
When we drove up to the front of the hotel the parking lot looked really shabby and front of building was sort of aging very rapidly.
My girlfriend and I hesitated for a minute but then decided to go ahead. After all.."How bad could it be in there?"
The woman at front counter checked us in and charged us an extra 10.00 for a funny looking metal key card with holes in it.She said we'd get the money back when we returned the key and the TV remote.
Then she said our room was in the back facing the Dunkin Donut drive through parking lot but we couldn't park our car there cause the hotel does not own the parking. We could unload but bring our car back to front of hotel for the night.
When we drove around the back to our room there were 3 Syracuse police cars parked in front of our room. There were officers everywhere and we could see 4 people up against the Dunkin Donuts building being "frisked" and "cuffed"!!
There were garbage cans all along the front of the hotel doors, full of overflowing trash and cardboard pizza boxes.
We parked beside a police car and walked to our door trying to imagine in our minds what we would find inside!
As soon as we opened the door we almost fainted from the smell.We thouht there might be a dead body in there. My girlfriend almost "gagged"..
Looked like something out of a "horror movie". The carpets were filthy. The room lights did not work..the lamps had no lightbulbs in them..the TV remote didn't work.. and the bathroom was disgusting. There were hairs inside the tub & sink. We were absolutely stunned .
How could any hotel look like this and not be "shut down"!
We opened the curtains and watched as the police cars left the parking lot with all the suspects in their vehicles.
We decided to leave the door open for 15 minutes and air the room out a bit.
We decided to just bring a couple of belongings in and leave all our stuff in the car so the smell from the room would not get into our clothes
We locked the door and headed to the Casino for the night.
At 5:00 AM we arrived back to the hotel and parked in front and walked to our room in back. There were strqange looking people hanging around all over the place. One guy asked me for a light and I just tossed my lighter at him from a distance.
When we entered the room we didn't even bother to undress for fear of what might be under the crumpled blankets. We slept with our clothes on.
At 9:30am..we couldn't stand the smell anymore.We didn't even bother to shower or use the bathroom. We returned the remote and key to a lady at front desk.We asked for our 10.00 deposit back and she said it would be deducted from our credit card.That was really scary...knowing I had actually checked into this dump and bgiven them my credit card number.
I looked arouind the dirty lobby and noticed a table with a greyish white tablecloth full of coffee stains and on top was a rusty toaster with a few styrofoam cups and small packs of sugar. There was coffee that looked like mud and no "stir Sticks". I guess they expect you to use your finger!! Apparently this was the "continental breakfast"!!
We rushed to our car and left the hotel as fast as we could.
In all my years of staying in hotels,I have never witnessed such a horrible place.If the ratings started below 1,it would get a minus 5!!

• Stayed July 2012
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I had to find a motel room to spend the night on a limb, because I spent the entire day driving and made it from Chicago to Syracuse, NY in one day, to continue the rest of my trip the next day. It turns out that there was a school game in the area and most places were already booked. This one was the only place that had vacancy. Reserved a room over the phone. Upon arrival, it looked alright, until getting settled in. I heard a fight going on in one of the rooms on the ground floor (outside entrance to the rooms), mine was upstairs inside the building. I felt like I was in a questionable area in fear of what might happen to my car, which is a 2006 Ford Mustang. My rims had rim spinners on them, and I took them off in thoughts that they might get ripped off overnight. The room I stayed in had broken air conditioning, the window was cracked, the beds were very uncomfortable. My car was fine the next day, the WiFi sorta worked, and the guy behind the counter was nice enough to point out to me they had a coupon in the local pamphlet and took off a couple of bucks for me.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to John Milton Inn? Share your experiences!