“HORRIFYING/FILTHY/SMELLY/DOWNRIGHT SCARY!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

1.5 of 5 Motel   |   6578 Thompson Road, Syracuse, NY 13206   |
Ranked #29 of 30 Hotels in Syracuse
“HORRIFYING/FILTHY/SMELLY/DOWNRIGHT SCARY!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

We left the beautiful luxurious Carlisle Inn,Sugar Creek Ohio early and drove all day to reach Syracuse.Around 7:30 pm we stopped at a service area near Syracuse and started calling Hotels for a room but most were full on this Friday night.
We only needed a room to sleep and shower in the morning as we would be out all night at the Turning Stone Casino and so we decided to look in the Room Saver for a hotel with discount coupons.
We called the John Milton Inn on Thompson Blvd and the woman who answered the phone said they had a vacancy but didn't accept coupons on Friday nights.
When we drove up to the front of the hotel the parking lot looked really shabby and front of building was sort of aging very rapidly.
My girlfriend and I hesitated for a minute but then decided to go ahead. After all.."How bad could it be in there?"
The woman at front counter checked us in and charged us an extra 10.00 for a funny looking metal key card with holes in it.She said we'd get the money back when we returned the key and the TV remote.
Then she said our room was in the back facing the Dunkin Donut drive through parking lot but we couldn't park our car there cause the hotel does not own the parking. We could unload but bring our car back to front of hotel for the night.
When we drove around the back to our room there were 3 Syracuse police cars parked in front of our room. There were officers everywhere and we could see 4 people up against the Dunkin Donuts building being "frisked" and "cuffed"!!
There were garbage cans all along the front of the hotel doors, full of overflowing trash and cardboard pizza boxes.
We parked beside a police car and walked to our door trying to imagine in our minds what we would find inside!
As soon as we opened the door we almost fainted from the smell.We thouht there might be a dead body in there. My girlfriend almost "gagged"..
Looked like something out of a "horror movie". The carpets were filthy. The room lights did not work..the lamps had no lightbulbs in them..the TV remote didn't work.. and the bathroom was disgusting. There were hairs inside the tub & sink. We were absolutely stunned .
How could any hotel look like this and not be "shut down"!
We opened the curtains and watched as the police cars left the parking lot with all the suspects in their vehicles.
We decided to leave the door open for 15 minutes and air the room out a bit.
We decided to just bring a couple of belongings in and leave all our stuff in the car so the smell from the room would not get into our clothes
We locked the door and headed to the Casino for the night.
At 5:00 AM we arrived back to the hotel and parked in front and walked to our room in back. There were strqange looking people hanging around all over the place. One guy asked me for a light and I just tossed my lighter at him from a distance.
When we entered the room we didn't even bother to undress for fear of what might be under the crumpled blankets. We slept with our clothes on.
At 9:30am..we couldn't stand the smell anymore.We didn't even bother to shower or use the bathroom. We returned the remote and key to a lady at front desk.We asked for our 10.00 deposit back and she said it would be deducted from our credit card.That was really scary...knowing I had actually checked into this dump and bgiven them my credit card number.
I looked arouind the dirty lobby and noticed a table with a greyish white tablecloth full of coffee stains and on top was a rusty toaster with a few styrofoam cups and small packs of sugar. There was coffee that looked like mud and no "stir Sticks". I guess they expect you to use your finger!! Apparently this was the "continental breakfast"!!
We rushed to our car and left the hotel as fast as we could.
In all my years of staying in hotels,I have never witnessed such a horrible place.If the ratings started below 1,it would get a minus 5!!

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I had to find a motel room to spend the night on a limb, because I spent the entire day driving and made it from Chicago to Syracuse, NY in one day, to continue the rest of my trip the next day. It turns out that there was a school game in the area and most places were already booked. This one was the only place that had vacancy. Reserved a room over the phone. Upon arrival, it looked alright, until getting settled in. I heard a fight going on in one of the rooms on the ground floor (outside entrance to the rooms), mine was upstairs inside the building. I felt like I was in a questionable area in fear of what might happen to my car, which is a 2006 Ford Mustang. My rims had rim spinners on them, and I took them off in thoughts that they might get ripped off overnight. The room I stayed in had broken air conditioning, the window was cracked, the beds were very uncomfortable. My car was fine the next day, the WiFi sorta worked, and the guy behind the counter was nice enough to point out to me they had a coupon in the local pamphlet and took off a couple of bucks for me.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Hoboken, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

I stayed here a few years ago and this place was absolutely the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. It's in a shady area and the hotel is even shadier. There seemed to be drug activity at the hotel and definitely a few rooms that were being used as high school alcohol parties. The mattress pads were lined with plastic. I don't even want to know why, but there can't be a good reason. The place was overall just filthy.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Santo Domingo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

This was the cheapest inn I found in this area, it is a great location surrounded by other inns, hotels and restaurants. The area is safe and close to Syracuse University. The inn is not very luxurious, it has only the basics yet it is clean and comfortable. I would strongly recommend it if you are simply looking for a safe and convenient stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

This place is horrible. There appeared to be a drug deal happenning as we drove up to the hotel. All sorts of trashy people were hanging outside in front of the rooms, some in their underwear! Many of the doors were open. Some people were grilling in front of their rooms! We did not even stop, but drove to comfort inn, where we were not concerned our safety! When i called cheap0stay, they stated they could not help me with a refund and i should re-read the booking policy!

What a nice picture they post for this "hotel" this place is a scam and should be shut down. I wonder how many other complaints they get about this "brothel" but continue to list it to make $$ on unsuspecting customers!!!!

This will be reported to the better business bureau! And shame on the syracuse police for not shutting it down!!!!!!!

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to John Milton Inn? Share your experiences!