“Good Value” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Syracuse
Kingston, Ontario
“Good Value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

The hotel is clean and efficient and definitely good value for the cost. The room was very spacious and comfortable, with sofa and chairs, however the layout was odd. A large desk complex was in the centre of the room and the sink for the bathroom was in the bedroom, separate from the bathroom. This makes it difficult for early risers not to disturb those who wish to sleep in. The king size bed was fantastic and made for a good night's sleep. The TV was irritating as the Time-Warner cable was intermittant and the TV system difficult to trouble shoot. The room fare comes with a "help yourself " breakfast. The breakfast area is noisy with a number of uncomfortable chairs for dining. The hotel staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. Although a short drive to downtown, the hotel surroundings are grubby and commercial. Local restaurants are rather grim: Chuckie Cheese, Red Lobster and similiar chain style restaurants. Both Fri and Sat nights we had to wait 30 mins for a seat in any of these restaurants so dining on this trip was less than pleasant. Bottomline: if you're travelling with a young family or sports team, this hotel is perfect. If you're on a "getaway" style trip, there are better locations.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

This Hampton Inn & Suites is much like any other new HI - very clean & incredibly comfortable beds. The rooms had the usual fridge, microwave and coffee maker. I was really pleased to see they were using paper coffee cups and paper water cups. No more plastic and styrofoam! I do hope this is a chain-wide change.

There was a mixup with keys when I checked in. My key didn't work, the front desk reissued it and when I tried the key, the door was latched and someone hollered. The room was occupied. Fortunately they'd latched the door. A most apologetic desk clerk took care of the problem and gave me the keys to the proper room. I wish this wasn't an unusual event. I've been on both sides of this sort of thing and not just at Hampton Inns.

That aside, the hotel was fine. I rely on Hampton Inns for many of my hotel stays, they're clean, convenient and comfortable. I just with they'd serve healthier breakfasts.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Mertztown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

Nice hotel east of town. Staff was extremely helpful allowing us to check in early AND control the remote in the wee hours of the morning! Appreciate the 24 hour coffee. Not thrilled with the room layout, (TV in furthest corner), but made do. Only negative was the eggs the next morning.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Charleston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

This is a very clean, well appointed hotel that lives up to the Hampton standard in comfort.

That being said, I was somewhat shocked by my experience. After a pleasant checked-in I went to my room, shut the door and pulled the handle to make sure it had closed. After many years of frequent solo travel, this is an ingrained habit. The door opened when I pulled, which isn't terribly unusual, but when I tried to secure the door, I found that the deadbolt would not slide into the jamb and the handle catch wouldn't slide home either. I called the front desk who promptly let me know that the hotel was booked to full capacity tonight and the maintenance person had left for the evening, but they'd send the manager right up to see what he could do.

The manager arrived quickly and was very polite while he evaluated the situation. He pointed out that the door was hanging crooked in the frame and let me know that he would "make it right". As I was getting ready to leave for dinner he tried for several minutes to get the door straight. He was not able to do, but again insisted that he would "make it right." After some consideration, flipped the interior security latch and said, "There, no one can get in. I'll give you 10% off. That makes it right."

Whose idea of "right" is leaving a solo traveler in a room with a door that doesn't close? Oh, and by the way? Leaving for dinner means I can't secure my belongings! After my incredulous response of "NO! That does NOT make it right!" he reiterated that they were sold out for the night, but mentioned that not everyone had checked in yet and offered to move me.

I get to the lobby for my new room assignment and realize I should have left a note in the other room to let the next occupants know the door doesn't work. So, after settling in to my new room with functioning security, I walked back down the hall to my original room, push open the door and leave a note, then leave for dinner.

Three hours later, I'm sitting in bed working and hear someone trying to get into a room. I didn't realize until they tried to force the door that it was MY room they were trying to get in! The hotel didn't bother to update their room assignment after giving the room to me. I surely did warn them about the room with the busted door!

Overall, I think this is a solid hotel in an area where there aren't a ton of options, but don't take your safety for granted in any hotel! Check the door!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Ottawa, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

We were treated with a rewards stay and took full advantage of it... After a long drive from Washington in the rain, we were glad to stay at the Hampton Inn. The hotel looks like it's brand new. It's clean, elegant and cozy. I've stayed at other Hampton Inns before an this one tops them all! The hotel is located on a main drag and there are many restaurants close by.

The staff was friendly and checked in with us to make sure everything was ok with our room. We had a king sized bed, couch, desk, lcd tv, dresser, hair dryer and iron. I really liked the look of the room. The furniture was very elegant and up to date. This is the nicest hotel I ever stayed at. I wish my master bedroom was as nice as this one was. There were security cameras in the halls for extra comfort and we were greeted with the local newspaper in the morning. Free wifi and lots of outdoor parking is available.

A complimentary breakfast is offered from 6a-10a which includes; cereal, toast, english muffins, bagels, waffles, yogurt, fresh fruit, juices, coffee, milk, sausage and omeletes.

This time our room was free but I would not hesitate to stay here again if I were in the area. I would definitely recommend this place to a friend.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
shaker heights, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

This hotel was just opened and is only 3 miles from the Syracuse University Campus. We were taking our son to school and stayed for 2 nights. Very clean and well managed. Will stay there again later this fall.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
woodbury, nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

Just held a two day meeting at this location. Rooms were excellent and location is very good. The hotel was opened this year. The hotel appears to be understaffed and appears to be focused on managing costs with a "no-frills, basic" breakfast offering. Less than desired when starting a business meeting and no other restaurants available for breakfast in the area. The staff was flexible for accomodating my meeting requirements. I would consider the hotel for future meetings!

A great hotel for family vacations as it has a nice pool and whirlpool facility. A good choice for business meetings which could be easily upgraded to great with just a few tweaks!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Syracuse Erie Blvd/I-690? Share your experiences!