“You get what you pay for.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #27 of 30 Hotels in Syracuse
Toronto, Ontario
“You get what you pay for.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I recently stayed at the Econo Lodge when I went to Syracuse for a college basketball game. I should start by saying that I read a lot of really bad reviews of this place and a lot has been made of the area surrounding the hotel. While the area will never be confused with Palm Beach, we did walk home from dinner late Saturday night and we were not worried in the least. There are a lot of abandoned buildings in the area but we did not have any problems walking down the main streets.

The room was comfortable and had some good amenities such as a large bar fridge, a microwave and a safe but the room had a dated look to it. I have no problem with older model TV's but in this day and age I have become accustomed to getting flat-scrrens in my rooms. Our room had an older TV and a "past it's prime" bathroom with peeling paint and not much in the way of appeal. The carpets were also stained.

My travel partner was in the bed closest to the window and heard an argument outside at around 2am that lasted about 20 minutes.

The hotel is good if you are in town for a night or 2. The night we stayed there it was full of Syracuse Orange fans. We walked to the Carrier Dome which is about 25 minutes from the hotel. There is a good area close to the Dome that is full of bars, restaurants and shops. I beliuve it is near or on Marshall St. If you are going to a game at the Dome stop by there first and soak up the Orange vibe.

A "must-do" while in Syracuse is Dinosaur Bar-B-Que. It is by far the hottest place in town. If you love BBQ this is the place for you. We waited almost an hour and a half for a table but the wait was worth it. They also have live music which is great while you are at the bar waiting for your table. The restaurant is only 10 minutes by foot from the hotel.

Stay at the Econo Lodge if you are attending a sporting event with friends but do not consider this place a family getaway.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Santo Domingo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

This place has an excellent location due to its proximity to Downtown, it is just three or four blocks away from downtown. You can go walking and you will be there in ten minutes. I do not recommend walking anywhere late in the night. You can take a taxi to Syracuse University for ten dollars or you can walk to the campus. it is 20 to 30 minutes walking (hotel-campus). Rooms are cleaned they have blower, cable TV, microwave, refrigerator, ... the exterior appereance of this place is not not quite as excellent but you get what you pay. they have security cameras everywhere. You should remember you are not visiting a big city, so you will probably see empty buildings around this hotel. the free-breakfast is only bread, coffee, apples, bananas, cereals. This hotel is close to the most recognized restaurnts and bars in syracuse. I would recommend it for a tigh budget trip. $20 Taxi from Airport to Hotel
$10 Taxi from Hotel to Syracuse University
5 Minutes walking to Hanover Square
10 Minutes walking to Armory Square (Downtown)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Second time staying here

Totally recommended :)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012 via mobile

My hotel room was prepaid by my company for 2 nites. When I arrived on Friday evening I was greeted at my bus by a CrackHead asking for money. I reviewed several rooms.The carpet was stained and the rooms had a very bad odor.Lots of in and out traffic. Street walkers using the rooms to turn tricks. The hotel is located in a very rough area. I didn't stay. For the same money there are better hotels just off the Thruway ( I-90)

• Stayed January 2012
Cortland, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

For the price it was acceptable ( $69 per night / dbl occupancy). BUT, the room was old and in need of remodeling and or repair. Around the base of the bed, lots of crumbs and dirt. Carpet screwed down at bathroom door entrance (screw stuck up presenting a hazard)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

I have stayed there four times. I found the price affordable, considering that breakfast is included. The location is also good, with everything pretty close, including the main highways, if one wants to get out of town in no time. In addition, all phone calls to the US and Canada are FREE!
The staff is very welcoming, answering questions and phone calls. The rooms are usually clean. I always enjoy some cable TV before going to bed. The channels are many and suited to all tastes.
However, one time (the last), I had the impression that the cleaning had not been well done, because the air was less fresh than usual. I think the bed comforter/cover had not been properly washed. And only one time did I have to call the front desk for the AC to be turned on. Yet it was done immediately and I did not get upset.
The presence of surveillance cameras is very comforting and I think most of the guests are polite and not creepy. Only one night did I have a noisy neighbor and he stopped and apologised when he was told that I could hear the noise from his room. However, I have seen some creepy-looking people wandering around in the neighborhood. So one always has to be careful. The staff seems to be making sure that they don't get into the compound, and that effort should continue.
I was allowed to check out an hour later than the agreed time because I had some errands to run before leaving the town and that was very helpful.
I would definitely recommend this place and I will be back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Syracuse, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

Building immediately next to the lodge is a halfway house w/ drug dealers and pediphiles. Eveyone who knew we were staying there warned us to be careful in the area. Police cars were about all the time. Construction workers were drunk upstairs catcalling and annoying us. We saw very little of Syracuse during the evening, as we did not feel safe coming back after dark.. Keep your doors locked! The front line staff at the desk were nice. They replaced the facets, but the old remained?? Weird! The prices were quoted on another link, and stated they included shuttle service, which they do not.

Room Tip: Cheap, basic, but not for a single gal!