“SCARY NEIGHBORHOOD” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 30 Hotels in Syracuse
Syracuse, New York
“SCARY NEIGHBORHOOD”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

Building immediately next to the lodge is a halfway house w/ drug dealers and pediphiles. Eveyone who knew we were staying there warned us to be careful in the area. Police cars were about all the time. Construction workers were drunk upstairs catcalling and annoying us. We saw very little of Syracuse during the evening, as we did not feel safe coming back after dark.. Keep your doors locked! The front line staff at the desk were nice. They replaced the facets, but the old remained?? Weird! The prices were quoted on another link, and stated they included shuttle service, which they do not.

Room Tip: Cheap, basic, but not for a single gal!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Milan, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

This hotel is one of the cheapest solution in Syracuse, and it's not that bad. Nice room. The neighborhood is not the best, but I was a girl, traveling alone, and I didn't have any problem. Some reviews say there are bed bugs, I didn't see them though!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Montevideo, Uruguay
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

We looked at one room and it was very small and smelt of cigarette smoke (even though it was meant to be non-smoking) and so I said that we wouldn't stay here. The guy at reception showed me another room - king size bed, tub - it looked o.k. and didn't smell. We were just driving by and needed to stop for the night, it was snowing and we didn't have time to shop around - so we decided to stay. The guy at reception gave us the bigger room for the price of the smaller room but still for $79+taxes it WAS NOT WORTH IT.

Negatives:
Shower curtain was moldy
Carpet was filthy, wipe it with a cloth and the white cloth comes up black!
Pillows were terrible
Stains on towels and one towel smelt of cigarette smoke
Towels were old (poor quality) and small
Grip pads were permanently stuck to bathtub and were filthy, so when you have to sit on them to have a bath you are probably getting foot fungus or worse!
Decor is terrible - needs upgrading
Check-in was very very slow
Breakfast was not worth it (doesn't look anything like the picture)
No coffee/tea making facilities in the room
Only 2 towels for 3 people so we had to ring up and ask for more - they should just know to give you enough towels.

Positives:
Fridge in the room
Free WIFI

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

Worst motel experience ever. There were bugs in our room, had to change rooms at 2 am and found bugs in the other room too.
Had to move to another hotel at 3 am! I was suffering from the bug bites for 2 weeks after that.
What is worse, we came back to settle accounts the next day and found that they had already let our room with the bugs
to another customer without bothering to go through any pest control.
Avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Neptune, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

I should have left but I was proving a point. YUCK! Filthy, disgusting, horrible. I think that gives you the picture. I did not remove my shoes for the two nights we stayed. It is in a bad area. But, convenient to the University which is why we were there. I am not a motel snob but this place needs to be gutted and rebuilt. It needs management that just might care and well if you want a clean room and feel safe DO NOT STAY HERE

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Jersey City, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

I stayed for two nights for the NY State Fair. Check in wad easy and was even given directions via public transportation to get to the fair. Also given directions to walk to Dinosaur Barbecue. Upon entering the room it smelled a little stale. Probably because it needed fresh air. I checked the bed for bed bugs. No bed bugs. However, I did it was time for them to get new sheets. They were clean but you could tell new bedding was necessary, I wasn't too crazy about the shower stall. The tiles could have been much cleaner. The toilet was slow to flush but it did work. At some point during my stay one of the chairs I sat in at the table in my room broke. You could tell the chair should have been replaced a while ago. I will admit the night person on duty Friday night was very kind and courteous. I had come back from the fair and was in need of tea. He actually boiled fresh water in the coffee pot so I could make some tea. I eally appreciated that. Overall, I would most likely stay again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

This is in a rougher neighborhood of Syracuse, so I wouldn't let your kids run around by themselves outside. It's not in the university neighborhood, it's just outside of downtown and would be considered north side Syracuse. That said, I'm sure you'll be fine, the hotel has lots of security cameras, only 1 entrance into the parking lot, and this family-run hotel has someone working at all hours. When I woke up at 3 am to go get a coke, the husband was there to give me change for a $5 bill.

I like this place. I stay here whenever I come to town. It's clean, the rooms are renovated, the forced air electric heat in each room works well. Good cable TV. Shampoo and soap etc are provided. Refrigerator and microwave in each room. Didn't bring my laptop this time so not sure about wifi. Pretty decent value at an affordable price.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Been to Econo Lodge Downtown? Share your experiences!