“Tale of Two Hotels” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Syosset
Massachusetts
“Tale of Two Hotels”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

It was the best of hotels, it was the worst of hotels, it was the age of modern lobby, it was the age of warn rooms, it was the epoch of convenient location, it was the epoch of being across the street from a garage, it was the season of nice a quiet room, it was the season of an old bed, it was the spring of fun fish tanks, it was the winter of saggy pillows, we had a fine breakfast before us, we had a cruise ship size room, we we're all going direct to a very clean hotel, we were all going to make due with one towel in the bathroom - in short, the period was so far like what you would expect for the price, that some of its reviews here insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Room Tip: Be prepared for a TINY room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lori Ann H, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Syosset Long Island, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for answering my questions and giving me more details on what occured with your stay. I am glad we were able to connect. It certainly helps with re-training our staff so that we can continue to improve our service.

Lori Hamilton
General Manage

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Quebec
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Hi, we stayed at the Fairfield Inn Syossett Long Island Hotel for four nights (June 26-30). We are a Canadian couple from Quebec in our late 50’s who often travel. I’d like to start by saying that if you know that you have not made reservations at the Taj Mahal you just might appreciate this nice hotel and its location for what it has to offer.

This hotel is not located in a country setting and does not offer the best views. Instead it is located on a busy street, walking distance to some nice restaurants and delicatessens and a short drive to many other fine restaurants and shopping and only a few block away from the LIE-495 and Parkways. Oh yes, right beside the hotel there is an ice cream specialty shop. And of course my favorite part, not far away from Ocean Drive which takes you to Jones Beach or to the Fire Island National Seashore. This could be an odd location for some or a perfect location for others, like me.

We had reserved a regular room with King Size bed. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a suite at no extra cost. Wow, we sure appreciated it. When entering this hotel you get the feel as if you are in small boutique hotel; brightly lit welcoming lobby with lots of nice seating areas. Very, very nice!! The staff at the reception greets you with beautiful smiles and makes you feel welcome.

Our suite was comprised of a separate bedroom with two double beds, a flat screen TV and a living room with flat screen TV, small fridge and micro-wave. In the hallway that separates the bedroom and living room there is a huge full length mirror, yes, thank you very much for that. There is big walk-in closet (ideal for storing suitcases) with ironing board and iron and a large enough bathroom. First I’d like to say our room was immaculate. Clean Clean Clean !!! The beds were pristine white and very comfortable and so were the pillows. We actually slept later than usual. The bathroom linens, very white and fluffy and very clean.

The staff is very kind and very helpful. When asked for a specific restaurant, we were given the driving directions printed on a small card. Wow! My husband had forgotten to pack his razor – not a problem the hotel gave him two razors (plastics). This hotel also offers a laundry facility for its guests. Now, how great is this? It also has a gym, a small one but it is very nicely equipped.

Free parking! Free breakfast! Free Wi-Fi!

While in Long Island, we went to the Fire Island National Seashore beaches, did some shopping and fine dining and spent a day touring the beautiful vineyards. We had beautiful weather under sunny skies. Now, if we had taken a few minutes here and there to find something to complain about, just maybe we could have found something. But fortunately, we did not have time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lori Ann H, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Syosset Long Island, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Merci Beaucoup Monique! What a wonderful review of our staff, hotel and convient location. We truly appreciate you taking the time to write and let the traveling public know about our Inn.. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay, please come back soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

First - Pillows were much better than normal - heavy and thick, and while the king bed was comfortable, it reminded me of driving on a partially paved road - one side higher than the other. Two medicine cabinets in the bathroom - a little too old school for me. No deflector on the under window HVAC unit had the curtains blowing the entire time. Room smelled a bit like walking in to a dry cleaners - not bad, just not what you'd expect. Unless you want to sit on the bed to watch TV, you have to sit on a too low desk chair (seriously, you have to reach up to use the desk) or physically move the one cushioned chair in the room. Room looks out over an auto body facility. But, you can walk next door to a phenomenal Italian ice place (Ralph's). No issues with noise as the white noise from the HVAC unit blocked any other sound. Would be content staying here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Lori Ann H, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Syosset Long Island, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for letting us know how your stay went . I am very sorry that you had some issues with the bed and desk chair not working properly. This will help us get those issues solved for future guests. I am happy you would stay with us again should you be in the area. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly so I can take care of your room selection personally
Jacksonville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here and took the train into the city. It was a god deal and easy to get into the city. This hotel was very close to the train station, and it was about a 30 minute commute into to the city by train. The hotel was not in the best condition, but it was clean. It is older, so it was a little noisy due to the old construction.The staff were all super friendly and very helpful. The breakfast was good, and there is a great deli next door. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Guest feedback is the best barometer to see how we are doing . I was particularly pleased that you would return if you we're in the area again. I will be sharing your comments with our staff. Safe travels!
State College, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

In planning our two-day trip to the northern shore of LI, I became frustrated by the number of reasonably priced properties with bad reviews. I finally picked this one because the worst complaints seemed to be room size and noise (no complaints about cleanliness or service).
As other reviewers have noted, the lobby is very pleasant, with a larger than average seating area for breakfast, and a good variety of choices including several protein options. The woman working the breakfast area was unusually nice and helpful, and that was true of all staff we met. The front desk clerk provided a printed list of restaurant recommendations, though she pointed us to an Italian restaurant we could walk to, without warning us there was no way we could get in on Friday night without a reservation- so we walked back to get our car and found a very nice choice (Villa Parma) a short drive away. And no trouble parking when we returned, though if you drive a big truck you won't like many of the spots in the lot in front- go for one of the other lots. Free parking is nice though!

I booked a room with 2 double beds, which was actually quite large, though it could have used a little more furniture- lots of empty space that would probably be attractive for a family, but we could have used a chair besides the desk chair, or a small table. The room was very clean and bed comfortable. A number of small design flaws, nothing major but in total gave the impression of the room being a little "off" (e.g., toilet roll hard to reach, sink set too far back, desk chair only fits under the desk when it is too low to sit on, blackout drapes don't quite cover the window, etc.- yes, I agree these are hardly worth mentioning, but overall leave only a fair impression.)

The really big problem was that the wall next to our headboard looked like brick but performed like paper. You really shoudn't be able to hear conversations, even loud ones, in the next room. The first night (Fri.) we had trouble getting to sleep because a group of men were conversing (playing cards maybe?) loudly. We didn't call the front desk because we usually just don't and did eventually fall asleep. The second night (Sat.) was worse because we were already asleep when a different group of guests returned to this same room next door in the wee hours and were laughing and talking loudly for what seemed like quite awhile. Also it sounded like some elephants were running up and down the hall. We did call the front desk this time and they sent up security. Not sure if that worked or it was my finally banging on the wall in frustation, but the neighbors finally settled down. Of course by then we were wide awake and irritated and it was hard to get back to sleep. (Boy, I sure sound crabby, and usually I'm pretty laid back!) I received a very nice email the next day from the manager apologizing and offering compensation, which was very kind. I feel sorry for the staff because I got the impression this is a regular occurrence at least on the weekends. The building is just not soundproof enough. If you're there to sleep, bring your ear plugs and ask for a quieter room. Maybe the smaller rooms are quieter because they aren't next to a room big enough to hold a party? If you're there to party, please have a little consideration for your neighbors and don't party in your room.

Bottom line- I wouldn't stay here again, but I don't know where I would stay in the area. Maybe I just won't come back.

Room Tip: Large inside rooms put you at risk of a noisy party next door
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lori Ann H, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Syosset Long Island, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so sorry your stay was marred by the noise incident and we are very happy that you felt the situation was handled well. Thank you also for your kind comments about our staff. Should you change your mind about returning, please do not hesitate to contact me directly, I will assure that your room and location is more to your liking.

Lori Hamilton
Glen Cove, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I'm investigating hotels for my upcoming wedding so we went to Fairfield Marriott in Syosset. The hotel is clean, neat and very very small. Dominique was extremely polite and helpful. She gave us information, took us on a tour of the hotel and has already emailed me the information about the room blocks. There is no pool. Due tot he location parking is an issue, but as per Dominique they have tried to accommodate everyone with off site parking lots. We have not made a decision about staying, but based on her actions alone- may be worth the trip? As I said previously, the rooms are clean but small. I'm short as it is, and I felt a little boxed in, but they offer free breakfast.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Lori Ann H, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Syosset Long Island, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for coming to see the hotel and for your very kind comments regarding Dominique. She is just one of the many customer focused employees your guest will encounter should you decide to book your wedding block. For reference, the hotel now has four lots to park in. Two adjacent to the hotel, one across the street and one next to the hotel up on Oak Drive. Good Luck with your wedding plans and Congratulations!..
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I always stay at Marriotts for one simple reason, consistency. This location was consistent with the high quality, cleanliness, and great value that Marriott locations around the world have to offer.

Not to mention, being located in a great neighborhood in a beautiful, fun, and busy part of Long Island, the price was phenomenal!

Would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2013
Lori Ann H, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Syosset Long Island, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
I was so pleased to see your fantastic review. Thank you so much for taking the time to tell the traveling public about our hotel. Making our guests happy is what we strive for everyday. It appears from your review that we succeeded. Come back and visit us soon!

Been to Fairfield Inn Syosset Long Island? Share your experiences!