“decent hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Suffern
New Jersey
“decent hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2008

I was initially concerned about the mixed reviews but other reviewers' photo posts convinced us to try this establishment. The room was spacious, clean and well kept. The bathroom was modern and looked new. For the amount we paid, the accommodations definitely exceeded my expectations. It was comfortable and perfect after a long late drive and an early morning start. Didnt really see any of the common areas.

The folks at the front desk are not top notch but gets the job done. Got the impression that dealing with guests was for sport. There were three of them talking animatedly about personal stuff when we came up and finally there was a pause before one decided to "take one for the team" and check us in. The gentleman who checked us in also accommodated our request for a restaurant recommendation.

• Stayed January 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2008

Major complaints for this Inn - we checked into a room where there were dirty floors throughout. Behind the TV was a receptacle that was not secured to the wall allowing unsafe wire exposure. During our stay there was a small snow storm - the plow truck driver who was hired by the motel drove through the parking lot for two days doing 60 miles an hour foward and reverse making people jump out of the way! I complained to no avail. Guests were horrified and "scared". One man called him "dangerous" - that was an understatement. The continental breakfast was very poor. Water would come out of the spouts marked juice, etc. and when asked, the attendand rudely told us that they were "out" and would not be replenishing. The icing on the cake was on 02/23/08 when police were swarming the motel because a guest was assaulted, knifed and robbed in a store across the street. The lobby was continually inhabited by "gang" types. I checked out early and will make a point of never going back. Other guests said the same. I thought Howard Johnson's had a good reputation. I guess I was sadly mistaken at least at this location.

Stayed February 2008

Travelers are raving about these Suffern hotels

N.J
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2008

when i called for booking for a 89 guest they were very fast and know what they were doing. well service.

• Liked — the room was neat and spot less
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2007

I did spend here about two weeks, management has changed and the staff very courteous and friendly, they’re still struggling with some repairs but overall very comfortable, safe, quite and the best rates around.
Will stay there again.

Stayed October 2007
Lucerne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2007

We stayed here on our way through the US...and we were heading for NYC. We decided to make one last stop before New York and found this place.

We didn't expect much yet, but it looked good from outside and we had a coupon for this motel. The price was quite good for NY state.

After the check-in, which was very basic, but fast, we were positively suprised!
The rooms are really big for a chain like this. And was very clean...above average. Room had TV, fridge, microwave and some extra seats.
The motel is easy to find, safely located. The town is not far away and there is a gas station close to and some food options around.

Altogether it was a really great value! We would definetly stay here again!
Wanna know more about my trip?
route66traveler.jimdo.com

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2006

Our family stayed for 3 nights in two different rooms. We had 4 guests in one room, but only had 3 towels. We called the front desk to ask for more towels two nights in a row. On the first call, we were told to come get them ourselves. The second time, we were told (at 12am) that they did not have any, and if we wanted some, we would have to come back and get them in 30 minutes. Completely inconsiderate and apathetic management. The bathroom and rooms were not cleaned the entire 4 days we were there, although the beds were made during the day. The whole hotel was in a state of disarray, presumably stemming from management that does not care at all! Take your money and your business elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2006
Danvers, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2006

I have stayed at this hotel for the past 3 years. I arrived late at night to a room that had a light fixture out, one towel and a huge red stain (supposedly cleaned) in the entry of the room, ripped bedspread and what seemed to be a very dirty overall room--ripped sofa, dirt along the floor edges and food stains on the walls and some peeling wallpaper. At 11:30 p.m., I just wanted the towels and to get to sleep. They wouldn't change my room, so up I went and learned my drain was clogged with a disgusting amount of previous guests' hair. EWWWW. Went to unpack and the drawers of the dresser fell out of the armoire. Maintenance was fine--cleaned the drain and changed bulbs. They never did change the bedspread with the hole. I eventually wrote *clean me* on the TV when I left, and I never got an appropriate amount of towels (more than one is expected) without having to fetch it. The common areas of the hotel had trash cans that were not emptied. Now if people take the time to throw out the trash--EMPTY them!! And this was in the main hall area of the hotel. The area where the continental breakfast was was disgusting. The microwave was filthy inside and there was dried food on the walls --this being at 3:30 in the afternoon each day. Room was never adequately cleaned. I was told that this property was becoming a La Quinta soon. Obviously, they have let it go downhill. I was there for a dog show, however, travelling over 45 weekends a year, and taking the time to be extra careful myself of not leaving a bad impression and being extra clean and quiet, I felt the room was unclean for my dog to walk on the floor never mind myself! Next year I'm hoping the La Quinta renovates or I'll find somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Suffern? Share your experiences!