“Don't bother” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Mahwah, New Jersey
“Don't bother”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

RIPOFF!!! Haven't been here in a number of years because of the slow service and unimaginative food. Because they opened a tapas bar we figured to give it one more chance. Was that a mistake. First we order a pitcher of Sangria. We asked if they had a small, but all they would serve is a large. When the sangria came, it was basically a full pitcher of ice with some red wine and a few pieces of fruit. About 6 scraps of orange and lemon. When I asked about the amount of ice, the waitress said that because they don't put ice in the glass, they put it all in the pitcher.

We ordered the Coco Shrimp for $8 which was 4 shrimp in a breading and some coconut. About the same quality as you would get if you bought them frozen from your grocery store. The Thai Tuna for $10 which was actually good, about 4 or 5 pieces. The Paella Skewers for $10 which were two, yes two skewers with a piece of shrimp, a piece of chicken and a piece of chorizo with some red onions on each. The total bill came to $66! The sangria (or pitcher of ice with red wine) was $33! When I questioned the waitress about the price of the sangria, she said she only worked there and didn't set the price.

Needles to say this will be our last time at Ole Ole. For true Mexican food with character and a much better atmosphere, try HACIENDA DON MANUEL just up the street. Better food, better sangria and better prices.

• Visited February 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

New York
“Manager lacks people skills; will not return.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

I went to Ole Ole Grill with my husband on a weekend night. There was a "Fortune Teller" woman walking around inside the restaurant, soliciting business. She came up to our table and interrupted our conversation. I politely declined her service, but she repeatedly came back to our table. We felt it intrusive and annoying. When I mentioned it to the manager at the end of the meal, he just shrugged off my comments, and told me that
"Noone else had ever complained about her." He evidently didn't find my feedback valuable. I will not return, as there are too many other restaurants in the area to patronize. By the way, the food was just mediocre.

MA
“Go somewhere else to eat in Suffern, NY.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2008

I ordered food to go and it was not a pleasant experience. I should have known the moment I got off the phone with the person who took my order, rushing me off the phone, not even getting my name correct. The person who waited on me, treated me as if I was annoying her. She looked surprised when I had to ask her for plastic ware and napkins. When I got back to my hotel, I discovered she left out the dressing I requested for my salad. Good thing I got plastic ware now that I can't eat my salad. The quesedilla did not even taste that great, not to mention for the price I paid for it, I certainly did not get my money worth. I strongly recommend, from one traveling friend to another...there are plenty of other places to eat in Suffern, NY.

New York City, New York
“There's another review here that outlines the food, so I'll just call it what it is: Plain. Nothing special, nothing...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2008

There's another review here that outlines the food, so I'll just call it what it is: Plain. Nothing special, nothing noteworthy, just plain and a lot of it. In a town with no less than 4 Mexican Restaurants within a 2 block walk, the only thing that differentiates Ole Ole is location. Service has also not been a hallmark, either from the owner (who seems oblivious) or from the servers who are generally nice but forgetful and aren't terribly interested in what they're serving (or how promptly). Like the other reviews, I've been generally pleased in the past though not thrilled. After my more recent experiences, I'm not heading back anytime soon, especially given Suffern's other restaurant choices within walking distance.

New York
“Ole Ole (Mexican Restaurant)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2007

Let me start by saying that I have been to this restaurant once before and was pleased with my overall experience. My best friend has been to this restaurant on numerous occasions and even raved about a specific meal or 2. Then we visited it again…

My husband and I decided to go to Ole Ole restaurant on a Friday night since we were somewhat familiar with this restaurant. We opted for a table in the window right in the front dining area. It proceeded to get crowded, but being a self described 'people watcher' I didn't find the seat overly annoying.

After talking sangria pitcher sizes with our waitress, we ordered up. Let me tell you that the medium, or whatever that specific size was, was way too big for 2 people. It wasn't our favorite sangria that we had, but I wasn't going to complain since it was OK. We’ll make due. We also ordered some guacamole. Out it came in a mortal & pestle – very nice touch! I remember from our first trip to Ole Ole that their guacamole was pretty decent, but there was something strange in the flavor. Again, I wasn’t going to complain as my husband was enjoying it. I was really satisfied with the chips and salsa so not eating the guacamole wasn’t the worst thing in the world.

My husband decided to get the Carne Asada, based on a high recommendation from my friend. I was torn between a few dishes and after talking with our well knowledgeable waitress I decided on the Shrimp Pacificos (butterfly shrimp sautéed in a garlic, bacon & butter sauce). It also came with brown rice, sautéed vegetables and plantains which I swapped refried beans for the veggies and plantains. Out comes our meal and it looked really good, a bit plain, but how bad can the shrimp really be? Well, the dish was…plain. It wasn’t anything special. You could taste a bit of a garlic flavor, but that was it, just garlic – no sauce, no moisture. It had about 6 maybe 1 or 2 more shrimp, a small scoop of rice and a small scoop of refried beans. The brown rice was plain too, if there was sauce to mix through it wouldn’t have been bad, but it was just…nothing. The waitress came over and I told her that I wasn’t overly impressed and she was very apologetic. I knew it wasn’t her fault, even though she felt bad since she did recommend it, but I knew she didn’t cook it and wasn’t to blame AT ALL! She offered to replace my meal, but I declined since now my mouth was just sour from the other issues since we walked into Ole Ole. I had eaten about 2 of my shrimp & my husband tried half of another shrimp. I ate the beans though they were also a bit plain, but I don’t really expect too much from refried beans. FYI – the carne asada was pretty tasty, my husband did enjoy his meal.

We asked for our check and it came out with the full amount on there, nothing to do to make up for my uneaten meal. I asked the waitress about taking it off and she said the Owner already told her that since I did NOT get another meal there was nothing else that she can do, but she’ll see what he says about taking it off the bill again. Moments later the Owner comes over, asks me what happened, I explained the situation and he proceeds to fight with me about my experience. He even said “What do you expect ME to do?” He said he’d take half of the price off of the bill and I told him that I would appreciate it if he takes the dish off of the bill since I didn’t eat it, that 2 shrimp and a small scoop of beans does NOT equal a meal. After going back and forth with me about which one of us was right – he walks off to take the meal off of the check. I looked at my husband and asked him if the owner really just fought with me over this $17.00 meal that probably cost him less than that to make!! When he returns he gives me some lame apology & excuse about this being a very popular dish (which I told him I understand, it was recommended by our great waitress) and that he doesn’t know ‘what’s going on back there’, referring to the kitchen.

My husband paid the bill and we left. I walked out of there almost shell shocked by the way I was treated by the Owner. I immediately called my friend about my experience and she was shocked that a paying customer would be treated in such a manor. Needless to say I will not be returning to Ole Ole…I kept my mouth shut about the tasteless sangria and about the weird flavor of the guacamole, but after being treated like it was my fault their shrimp dish wasn’t up to par was my last straw.