“Hotel Business Must be Keeping This Place Alive” 2 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, Hamburgers, Ice Cream
NY
“Hotel Business Must be Keeping This Place Alive”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

This is a very tired Friendly's (maybe they all are since the parent company is in Ch 11 bankruptcy protection). The place has a kind of smell to it - sort of a scream from the carpeting that it no longer needs to be cleaned, but it needs to be retired and replaced. One of my other little peeves is when a table is wiped down with a table cloth that leaves behind a dirty table cloth smell. You can expect that as well.

I ended up at this place, one night after a play at my daughter's school (against my better judgment). I stuck to the ice cream (handled less by human hands). Ice cream is also better than all of the fried options on the menu (yes they do have soup and salad). Others in my party had the fried stuff. I am happy to say everyone woke up the next morning free of ptomaine poisoning! But I won't be going back because of the grungy feel and smell to the place. Just a half mile away, your go up a few notches on the food experience totem pole to Applebees and even more notches up the food totem pole to the Ramapo Diner just a block away from Friendly's and a far better choice.

One other thing I found surprising. Friendly's is not cheap for what you get. A table of 4 can expected to drop $50, maybe a little less than that for ice cream only. Generally, these days I pay $90+ to eat out at decent places with my family, so I found $50 annoying and disturbing for the junk food they serve up at Friendly;s,

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“avoid this friendly's”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

We went here with our young children. It was very dirty. Several tables near us were not cleaned throughout our hole meal. The food itself was so, so. The mozarella sticks were disgusting. I had the shrimp which were just OK. Chicken nuggets were OK. I would not come here except for perhaps getting ice cream take out.

Visited March 2011
New York City, New York
“Better places in the area to eat”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

I went here one day just to have something quick to eat, but it was such a bad decision. Because of the location (right off the highway) it's very busy very loud with poor service. I felt very rushed to make my selections and the food when I received it was not at all hot and I never got the refill of my drink that I wanted. For a sit down meal right down the road is applebees or the diner. Go there. You are better off than going to friendlys.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere