“Wonderful getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 1000 Acres Ranch Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stony Creek
1000 Acres Ranch Resort
465 Warrensburg Road, Stony Creek, NY 12878   |
Rotterdam, New York
“Wonderful getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

My friend and I visited for the first time in October, 2010 (note, drop down menu wouldn't let me pick correct date of travel). We are the only first timers there on the first day. The place was full and everyone we spoke with had been coming there for years, if not for generations. It was a very warm, family atmosphere. Staff was very friendly. The horseback riding was great....beautiful trails through the mountains. Beautiful scenery...all in all a wonderful getaway. No cell service....no tvs in rooms (but there is one in the main house). Nice to get away from it all. Hope to get back there this year

Room Tip: Rooms away from main house are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011 via mobile

This "ranch resort" is stuck in the past two decades ago. It is not a vacation spot for young couples. They do have some very nice staff but they also have some very rude staff.

• Stayed October 2011
Westchester, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

As a recent (July) visitor to 1000 Acres, I wanted to share my experience, which was very positive. I read some the reviews, both up and down, but I felt it is certainly a place I intend to return to.

The most striking feature is the horseback riding available. I have stayed at other ranch resorts in New York (Rocking Horse Ranch and Riding-Hy, to name two)… and neither compares where horses and trails are concerned. The trails at 1000 Acres are in the winding foothills of the Adirondack mountains….offering much more than a field with a few trees along a dirt road. I am an experienced rider and found the horses and tack are well kept. An accompanying friend with little experience with horses enjoyed the experience, with the help of the cowboys on duty. You can just enjoy the scenery on the slow ride, a good way to learn how to control a horse or just to get accustomed to sitting in a saddle again. In this area, 1000 Acres excels.

The second outstanding feature is the location on the banks of the Hudson River; the view of the river is fantastic. We enjoyed walking to the water’s edge to skip rocks, and later tried canoeing (kayaking and row boats were an option). We stayed in the Buena Vista building, on top of the hillside near the horses; the view out across the Hudson was simply beautiful.

A new feature I enjoyed on this trip is the new scenic passenger train – the Saratoga and North Creek Railroad – which stops right on the grounds of 1000 Acres. We could keep our car parked, and hop a train into Saratoga Springs for off-site sightseeing (and the racetrack), or go to North Creek, with rustic mountain charm.

The food, served family style, was plentiful – breakfasts were especially good. During the week, we ate heartily and well. The choices available on the buffet were many.

Every trip by each individual is a separate experience. I felt that our experience - the purpose for our vacationing in the Adirondacks was to enjoy the great outdoors – as mentioned, horseback riding, canoeing, sightseeing. 1000 Acres delivered to our needs and expectations.

Room Tip: various accommodations, i.e. motel style, duplex cabin, single cabin, etc.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011 via mobile

My family has been coming here for about 10 years and the quality has gone steadily down. Cabins that were rustic years ago get little maintenance and are now dumpy; there was a mouse in our room eating our snacks this year. The food was always a big draw, but this year the chef had quit and the food was bland and poorly prepared (chicken parm with no breading, cut-up marshmallows for make-your-own sundaes); there was no meal all week that we really enjoyed. The dining room staff is wonderful, but several of the office workers are inept. The riding was the #1 reason we kept coming back but this year there were not enough wranglers and a problem with my equipment resulted in personal injury. The horses are still great and our daughter is in love with the place, so we may go next year for just a few days instead of a week.

• Stayed June 2011
Bay Shore, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

we recently took a weekend trip to 1000 Acres ranch in upstate New York, and has the greatest time! When we first arrived we were greeted with 'welcome to the ranch" by a wowan who made us feel so welcome from the start. She was then joined by another woman who was introduced as "bubbles" and it was obvious why. She was so charming, and refreshing. What a great team they made. You should have them for entertainment. We were showed around,a nd then to our room. The view was magnificent, and the room was clean, and cozy with a great front porch. We really enjoyed the food. Your chef is top notch. I believe his name was Fillipee. We could hardly wait for our next meal. At night we visisted the saloon. The band was great as was the dancing. I even took the dance lesson offered on Saturday night. I haven't done that in years. Our next day wa spent horseback riding. I was a bit concered as the cowboys appeared a bit old, but the horses weren't, and we had a great time. The trails were beautiful--and what a view. Since we have returned home, I have done nothing but talk about what a fantastic time we had. The accomedations, staff, food, entertainment, all top notch, and all for one great price. We are already planning our next trip, but this time intend to bring our friends. I would reccomend 1000 Acres Ranch to anyone who wants a good time at a great price. This place is a winner!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Bronx, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

Our family has been going to the ranch for 9 years. I’d like to address cws5600’s concerns.
I totally understand the need and concern to protect kids from unhealthy relationships with adults. With my 2 boys, I have been, and continue to be, hyper-vigilant about adults who seen too interested in them. In the years we have been going to the ranch, I’ve never had even the faintest twitch of concern about Cowboy Ernie. His job is to entertain both kids and adults, but the kids are his main audience. Like any good performer, he pays close to attention to them and “plays” to them, but I never got an uneasy feeling watching Cowboy Ernie around kids.
Staff at the Ranch
The employees are not the polished staff of a five star hotel. Most are locals. They are genuine people. With the longer tenured employees, we swap updates and stories about family and interests. There were a lot of new faces in the office this year, but new or old, my experience is they will fall over themselves to meet guest’s requests. This includes the wranglers at the stables. The stable wranglers have the further concern about guest safety. The horses are gentle and trained, but they are still horses. If they get frightened on the trail, which can happen (last summer we saw a black bear, and the horses were spooked by this), the rider has to have some control over the animal. The miles and miles of trails are natural settings, with rocks, roots, uphill, downhill. The horses can lose their footing on a rock or branch. Again, the riders have to have to be able to recover in this event. If the head wrangler does not allow a guest on the medium or fast rides, or if he tries to give riding advice, it’s for the safety of the guests and horses.
Rooms
The beds are clean and comfortable, and the A/C, fridge and bathrooms work. Otherwise, it’s the surroundings that we come for. Enjoy your morning coffee or an evening glass of wine or beer on the porch. The scenery is stunning.
The bottom line is our family absolutely loves our vacations at the ranch. Our boys are had a great time there last week. After 9 years, I keep expecting to grow tired of the ranch, but we can’t wait to go back again next year. Yes, we’ve already booked, and the boys are actually keeping a count of many days till our return there.
Other Activities
The ranch and the surrounding area offer a number of things to do. My husband rode a horse this year for the first time. He loves the golf course (a mile away). We always go kayaking on the Hudson. Our kids love playing ping pong and bocci. It is also a safe place where they have the freedom to hop on their bikes and go, things they can’t do in the city.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

We had several problems with staff. Ernie the guitar player seemed to stare at the young female children a little too long, enough to make my sister keep her daughter away from him. The short heavy set man who runs the horses has a Napoleon complex and likes to talk down to every one. Instead of explaining how to ride he likes to berate people in front of the crowd. It was down to several people in different groups. The front desk also seemed like any request was a bother. The area is beautiful and the grounds are nice. Good luck with the staff. Our group of over 40 will never go back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to 1000 Acres Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!