“Nice hotel spoilt by room security issues” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Stony Brook
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel spoilt by room security issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

** I was going to give this hotel 5 stars until one evening when I returned to my room and found an 'undesirable' object had been left there. No more has to be said on a family website, however I would urge anyone that stays here to be careful about the security of their room and its contents! I was upgraded to a suite on the top floor and the management apologised to me.
After this incident I think my rating is very fair and hopefully the hotel management do something to rectify the source of the problem I experienced **

The room I stayed in was large and well appointed, the bed was comfortable and came with a 32 inch TV, fridge and microwave oven. Overall the hotel is well kept and staff are helpful and friendly. Breakfast is resonable and above my expectations for a HI Express. The free WiFi is reliable and fast. There is a free shuttle bus available and we used it to go to and from the local train station which is useful for trips into NYC. Lots of shops and resturants nearby with a few within walking distance. Overall very good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear N_Young47,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our room and amenities.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation on the security which was unacceptable. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Because daughter attends the university nearby, we've always stayed at this hotel. The staff is very accommodating, friendly and courteous. Breakfast always is hot, if you choose, and the hot water for tea is available at all times. We were here for hurricane Irene and was allowed to extend our stay as they made it clear we were welcome. Laundry facilities are easy.
Only problem is the "gym" area as there were no towels, no way to clean off equipment after sweaty usage, seems there could have been some spray and towels. I think it is nice though that the hotel offers usage of the pool and equipment to surrounding residents for a small fee. Just think they need to update the hygiene parts of the gym.

Room Tip: If you book online with the request of a larger room, insist on it or you might just get one with on...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stay in a lot of Holiday Inn's for business. This hotel is very clean and the front desk staff is friendly and helpfull. The rooms are big. I've stayed here 3 times. I've stayed in the standard room, a jacuzzi room, and the one bedroom suite. All were nice. The beds here are comfortable which is hard to find in the H.I. chain. It's also close to shopping and food.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Silverthorne, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The staff makes most properties shine, and that seems to be true here. Hotel manager personally answering many emails about my concerns prior to arrival, arranging pick ups at train stations, drop offs at airports, etc. Hotel common areas and hallways, are bright and clean. Business center works like it is supposed to. Laundry facilities, sporting areas including basketball, mini golf, pool, etc., quick and courteous transportation, free breakfast and wifi. This hotel has helped many people during the hurricane Sandy disaster and one can see why they would be chosen or want to be helpful. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

It is a pretty big property. To me, my stay was average at best, not great, not to bad. My room was on the 6th floor was across from the conference room. Usually, a room near a conference room is not bad unless they have meetings at night, birthday/holiday parties, then it sucks because all of the good parking is taken and it is loud.

Having to do all the u-turns and stuff gets old, but that is not the hotel's fault, it just way hwy 347 is. There is a new Target, Chili's, and Home Depot close by.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear James J,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. I would like to offer a sincere apology for being just an average. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Macungie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Entire staff did great job in meeting any requests we had. Nice and clean hotel that offers a good breakfast selection. Room was spacious and grounds are attractive. Even with a location on 347 rooms were quiet with no outside noise. I would consider this one of the better Holiday Inn Express hotels I have stayed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Alexandria, Al Iskandariyah, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I went to Stony Brook on a stressful note because my son, who studies at Stony Brook University, was scheduled for surgery after Thanksgiving.However,the cooperation, friendliness,and professionalism of all the staff of the Holiday Inn at stony brook definitely took away a lot of the pressure of the situation.Also, the whole set up of the room and the services offered by the hotel gave me a cosy and a home-like impression.The hotel is conveniently located within walking distance from Target,Chillies,Best Buy,and a gas station. Its's, also, within a 10-15 minutes drive from the Smithhaven Mall,Walmart, and car rental places.Overall,I can't find enough words to express my gratitude and appreciation to all the staff of the Holiday Inn Express, Stony Brook who changed my visit from a stressful experience to a relaxing one.They made my trip worthwhile.now I know that I have a place to stay for my next visits to my son. Thank you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook? Share your experiences!