“clean decent” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Stony Brook
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“clean decent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed in this place for one night and I enjoyed it.
The building is old but very well kept. check in process was fast, front desk people were nice and helpful. lobby is nice and decent. There is a business center in the lobby with printer which can be of great help. the room was clean and all the sheets and towels were spotless. Few cable channels are more than enough . the room had microwave and fridge in it which makes longer stays easier. Breakfast was free and included several items.
Overall, it's good option and won't surprise you in a bad way.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Rochester, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I had to stay in this hotel for 2 nights when I was in my best friend's wedding in the area (8/2012). My boyfriend and I were only in the room to sleep. THE BED WAS THE WORST BED I HAVE EVER SLEPT IN. I'm not exaggerating when I say it was ROCK HARD. The king bed we had was the same as sleeping on the floor. Completely FLAT and stiff. No pillow-top or ANY PADDING. It was truly unbelievable. Because we couldn't get a good night's sleep I was left physically exahusted. I'm 28, fit and in good health but it took me 3 days for my body to recover and not feel like I was hit by a train. We were both incredible SORE for days. I paid $180/night at the "discounted rate" and honestly feel robbed. They only charge the high prices they do because options in that area are so limited you don't have any other choice. On a good note, the room was very clean and the continental breakfast was great.

Room Tip: Complain at the front desk if you stay here and have any problems. I made the mistake of not saying...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed here as it was reserved as a wedding block. The rooms are outdated and clearly need some work. But for a Holiday Inn Express, it was not too bad. We also liked that it was not too far away from the City...approximately 1 hour drive from the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

the rooms are dated, a LOT. staff is nice but the rooms are just awful. the internet is SLOW and impossible if you want to work. Wont stay here next time. The hotel really needs to be renovated big time

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

That's the best thing I can say. The decor was terrible. Cheap, cheap furniture. Ugly carpet. Bedding was like sleeping on sandpaper. Even the tissues in the bath were the poorest quality. I stayed here for a week to visit family and friends, but never again. I'd rather have to drive further to be more comfortable. It was also greatly overpriced for what you get.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Dear Janet S,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am pleased that you liked our location. Please accept my sincerest apology if you did not completely find our room accommodations to your liking. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
lanex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

We were in the area attending a wedding. I had not stayed in a Holiday Inn property in a long time. A property that has been renovated very nicely to become the Holiday Inn Express. Conmforatble, clean, pleasant staff

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Needed to be in the area, and this place filled the bill very nicely. Particularly liked the surrounding grounds/garden. Will return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook? Share your experiences!