“Very nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Three Village Inn

You added Three Village Inn to your Saves list
Three Village Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150 Main Street, Main St. on the Harbor, Stony Brook, NY 11790   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Stony Brook
Manchester, New Hampshire
“Very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

This is not a modern resort....it is a quaint, and old inn. Despite it's age, the renovated cottages were extremely comfortable and well-appointed. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was a bit tight, but to be expected in an old inn. Customer service was excellent. Wifi was fast, but there is very limited cell service. Quick walk to the inn's tavern, which was excellent. I could not figu out how to work the TV, but I am sure if I had called the front desk, all would have been fine....I just didn't really need it. Very reasonable price for a nice stay.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Carrie B, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Majorgal,

We are happy to hear about your wonderful stay at Three Village Inn! We are glad you found the cottage hotel room and bed to be very comfortable.

It is also great to hear you enjoyed an excellent meal at Mirabelle Tavern.

Thank you for taking the time to share your "Very Nice" stay at Three Village Inn.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I have stayed at the three village Inn on several occasions and have enjyed it each time. The Inn in Stonybrook is accesible by car and LIRR and ther will even pick you up at train depot. I live in manhattan so this is like a real country getaway! Rooms are terrific either in themain buillding or in one of their 20 cottages. A buffet breakfast is included. I always stay in the "Paul Newman " room with Kingsized bed and 20ft bathroom. The "village" is a series of shops and restaurants built around a village green,quaint but very shopper friendly. I like the Van Heusen store which always has 6o% off sales. The Rockwell restaurant serves gourmet meals for " beer botle" budgets. All in all I love this place!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Carrie B, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear LouLudny,

We are happy to hear you have enjoyed Three Village Inn on several occasions, experiencing both the main house and cottage hotel rooms.

We are glad you took advantage of our complimentary shuttle service that goes to both the train station and Stony Brook University and found time to check out the Stony Brook Village Shopping Center conveniently located directly across the street from the Inn.

Thank you for sharing your experiences at Three Village Inn and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit!
Sound Beach, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We got married at the Three Village Inn in April of 2011. We fell in love with the Inn right away as it represented our style and was far from your typical Long Island catering hall. It also offered something unique and meaningful- the idea of an extended wedding weekend. The wedding was fantastic as was the food (I know people like to say the food at their wedding wasn't "wedding food" but mine really wasn't!) My family was booked into all but one or two of the rooms and the only complaint we heard was from someone staying directly above the tavern, which is understandable. The cottages are all newly renovated and are extremely comfortable- I have gotten much less for much more money in the past. The rooms are spacious and clean with nice views. It was so nice to spend time with family and friends before and after the wedding at the Inn. The breakfast the next day was of very good quality and was delicious. I would expect nothing less than top-notch food from Mirabelle and Three Village Inn. If you every stay and have the chance to have the Sunday brunch, do it! We have many times. I come from a very opinionated family and we all loved the Three Village Inn!
I have read the reviews here and other places and many mention some of the people that work there. The person who ran the front desk when I got married is no longer there, I’m assuming that things run smoother now.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2012
Dear TravlinFool G,

We are glad you and your guests were able to spend extra time together by taking advantage of Three Village Inn Hotel to extend your wedding weekend.

Mirabelle is known for its excellent food, and we are glad you and your guests enjoyed the reception meal.

Thank you so much for sharing your personal wedding experience at Three Village Inn.
New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

This hotel is among the best choices for lodging in Stony Brook, but your experience will not be a modern one. We stayed in a cottage, which had been partitioned into three rooms, and the place showed some age. it was clean and quiet, and adjacent to the main building (which boasts a bar and two restaurants. Also, just up the road is the beach and bay areas that make the north shore of Long Island picturesque. The service was good, but the aesthetic is a bit more rustic than I might otherwise seek out.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Carrie B, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this review, May 27, 2012
We are glad you enjoyed Three Village Inn and Stony Brook’s picturesque surroundings. We are happy you found our location convenient to the beach and Avalon Park.

Three Village Inn is known for its quaint and charming, bed and breakfast style hospitality. Our main house was established in 1751 and we strive to keep the history Three Village Inn offers to the Stony Brook area. Thank you for your comments and feedback and we hope to see you again.
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I have to admit that “traditional style is not my cup of tea, I prefer a modern room. The “Three Village Inn” was a big disappointment for me. We have arrived around 09:00PM (late check-in). We toke all our luggage and our baby and walked from the parking lot just to see a small sign next to the reception entrance that we should have left everything in the car as the rooms are driving distance – I would expect such a sign to be in the entrance to the parking lot and not to the building (where you see it only after you have already toke your luggage with you). On top of that the receptionist was not very nice. We have asked her where can we find something to eat and she just said she is not from the area and has no idea – she did not make any effort to ask any other stuff member (which we saw close-by). Furthermore, the receptionist explanations, how to get to our room, were horrible. The hotel is a complex of small Cottages, the trails to the different Cottages are badly lightened and there are no clear signs for each room. There is no map in the reception so we ended up driving and walking in circles until we found our room (try to walk with a baby in one hand and your luggage in the other, in the dark). The receptionist told us to drive left and left which was impossible as the exit from the parking lot is one-way only and is to the right (either the receptionist was not aware of this (???) or she meant us to drive against traffic (???? Even worse)). The room was relatively small and the furniture toke most of the open space. As we had our baby with us we asked for a crib and they have charged us 20$ for it!!!! (I have been to many other hotels before and most of them don’t charge you for that). Breakfast was OK but they have served my dish 10min before my wife’s’ dish has arrived. Finally I have just found out that they have overcharged me by mistake. I truly suggest that you should go to the “Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook”, it is much better (as I know the chain) and it even cost less.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Carrie B, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
Dear Adventix,

We are sorry to hear you had an unpleasant experience at Three Village Inn. Thank you for bringing your issues from your recent stay to our attention. Please accept our apologies; our newly trained desk clerk gave you incorrect directions to your cottage. Also, the Stony Brook area offers few choices for late night dining, and I am sorry we were unable to find anything for you.
Our goal is to ensure all guests have a pleasant experience from the time the reservation is made, all the way through departure and we apologize that your personal card was charged instead of the account that was paying for your stay; all billing errors are responded to and reversed immediately.
Three Village Inn takes customer feedback seriously and we use it to continually improve our guests’ experience. Thank you for your comments, and we hope you will choose us the next time you are in Stony Brook so that we will have the opportunity to show you our true hospitality.

Travelers are raving about these Stony Brook hotels

Fairfax, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

I have attended some nice affairs at this historic, well-located inn but stayed overnight for the first time for a reunion at the University 3 miles away. The service at reception and in the bar was excellent, always accommodating, friendly and helpful. We stayed in one of the cottages and enjoyed the room and walkways that lead back to the main restaurant, through herb gardens over cobblestone paths. The only negative is the bathroom was in desperate need of some TLC. Chipped and broken tiles, very old (but clean) everything. Honestly, it looked so bad I didn't want to get into the shower but I did and found the water pressure was great so was happy I braved the crumbling infrastructure of the very small bathroom. Overall, a lovely experience though. I would go back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Carrie B, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Dear RockerMom3,

We are happy to hear you had a pleasant stay at Three Village Inn and found its location very convenient to the reunion at the University.

We are currently working on renovation the bathrooms and are sorry yours was not finished yet.

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you next time you are in Stony Brook.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I stayed in the Three Village Inn for a night in April 2012. I visited Stony Brook for business. Pros and cons below:

Pros
(1) Beautiful and elegant exterior and interior decoration. Matches perfectly with the cute village.
(2) Next to the cute-looking mall. Convenient.
(3) Close to the trail in the Avalon park. Very nice walk!
(4) Although it was Tuesday, the pub of the hotel was very lively.
(5) (although not so difficult but...) very quiet.
(6) Reasonably priced (I know it's not Manhattan, but still...)

Cons
(1) I guess most people drive to this inn, but if not, it's a bit far from the Stony Brook station. But the people at the reception told me that if there's somebody available, they can offer a ride to the station.
(2) Somehow the people at the restaurant weren't so nice... I was eating my breakfast (it's a buffet), and as soon as I finished my first round, they took my plate... I wasn't able to eat fruit or pastry... They did not even say "good morning" to me!
(3) As many other reviewers wrote, many rooms (probably Room # 1-6) are located directly above the (lively) tavern, so if you are sensitive to noise, and you want to sleep early, you might be bothered. I did not have a problem (I am never bothered by noise).
(4) Maybe he is just a cool guy, but the bartender was not too friendly (at least to me...)

All in all, I like the place. I think if you come to Stony Brook for a holiday, it's better to stay at a place with nice character, like this one, rather than staying at a faceless chain hotel. The place makes you feel like you are staying in the old cute town of Stony Brook. I wish people were a bit more friendly...

Room Tip: Not sure if it's feasible, but avoid Room 1-6 (those above the tavern) if you are sensitive to n...