“Quaint, off the beaten path” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Three Village Inn

You added Three Village Inn to your Saves list
Three Village Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150 Main Street, Main St. on the Harbor, Stony Brook, NY 11790   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Stony Brook
New York, New York, United States
“Quaint, off the beaten path”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

This hotel is among the best choices for lodging in Stony Brook, but your experience will not be a modern one. We stayed in a cottage, which had been partitioned into three rooms, and the place showed some age. it was clean and quiet, and adjacent to the main building (which boasts a bar and two restaurants. Also, just up the road is the beach and bay areas that make the north shore of Long Island picturesque. The service was good, but the aesthetic is a bit more rustic than I might otherwise seek out.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Carrie B, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this review, May 27, 2012
We are glad you enjoyed Three Village Inn and Stony Brook’s picturesque surroundings. We are happy you found our location convenient to the beach and Avalon Park.

Three Village Inn is known for its quaint and charming, bed and breakfast style hospitality. Our main house was established in 1751 and we strive to keep the history Three Village Inn offers to the Stony Brook area. Thank you for your comments and feedback and we hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I have to admit that “traditional style is not my cup of tea, I prefer a modern room. The “Three Village Inn” was a big disappointment for me. We have arrived around 09:00PM (late check-in). We toke all our luggage and our baby and walked from the parking lot just to see a small sign next to the reception entrance that we should have left everything in the car as the rooms are driving distance – I would expect such a sign to be in the entrance to the parking lot and not to the building (where you see it only after you have already toke your luggage with you). On top of that the receptionist was not very nice. We have asked her where can we find something to eat and she just said she is not from the area and has no idea – she did not make any effort to ask any other stuff member (which we saw close-by). Furthermore, the receptionist explanations, how to get to our room, were horrible. The hotel is a complex of small Cottages, the trails to the different Cottages are badly lightened and there are no clear signs for each room. There is no map in the reception so we ended up driving and walking in circles until we found our room (try to walk with a baby in one hand and your luggage in the other, in the dark). The receptionist told us to drive left and left which was impossible as the exit from the parking lot is one-way only and is to the right (either the receptionist was not aware of this (???) or she meant us to drive against traffic (???? Even worse)). The room was relatively small and the furniture toke most of the open space. As we had our baby with us we asked for a crib and they have charged us 20$ for it!!!! (I have been to many other hotels before and most of them don’t charge you for that). Breakfast was OK but they have served my dish 10min before my wife’s’ dish has arrived. Finally I have just found out that they have overcharged me by mistake. I truly suggest that you should go to the “Holiday Inn Express Stony Brook”, it is much better (as I know the chain) and it even cost less.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Carrie B, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
Dear Adventix,

We are sorry to hear you had an unpleasant experience at Three Village Inn. Thank you for bringing your issues from your recent stay to our attention. Please accept our apologies; our newly trained desk clerk gave you incorrect directions to your cottage. Also, the Stony Brook area offers few choices for late night dining, and I am sorry we were unable to find anything for you.
Our goal is to ensure all guests have a pleasant experience from the time the reservation is made, all the way through departure and we apologize that your personal card was charged instead of the account that was paying for your stay; all billing errors are responded to and reversed immediately.
Three Village Inn takes customer feedback seriously and we use it to continually improve our guests’ experience. Thank you for your comments, and we hope you will choose us the next time you are in Stony Brook so that we will have the opportunity to show you our true hospitality.

Travelers are raving about these Stony Brook hotels

Fairfax, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

I have attended some nice affairs at this historic, well-located inn but stayed overnight for the first time for a reunion at the University 3 miles away. The service at reception and in the bar was excellent, always accommodating, friendly and helpful. We stayed in one of the cottages and enjoyed the room and walkways that lead back to the main restaurant, through herb gardens over cobblestone paths. The only negative is the bathroom was in desperate need of some TLC. Chipped and broken tiles, very old (but clean) everything. Honestly, it looked so bad I didn't want to get into the shower but I did and found the water pressure was great so was happy I braved the crumbling infrastructure of the very small bathroom. Overall, a lovely experience though. I would go back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Carrie B, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Dear RockerMom3,

We are happy to hear you had a pleasant stay at Three Village Inn and found its location very convenient to the reunion at the University.

We are currently working on renovation the bathrooms and are sorry yours was not finished yet.

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you next time you are in Stony Brook.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I stayed in the Three Village Inn for a night in April 2012. I visited Stony Brook for business. Pros and cons below:

Pros
(1) Beautiful and elegant exterior and interior decoration. Matches perfectly with the cute village.
(2) Next to the cute-looking mall. Convenient.
(3) Close to the trail in the Avalon park. Very nice walk!
(4) Although it was Tuesday, the pub of the hotel was very lively.
(5) (although not so difficult but...) very quiet.
(6) Reasonably priced (I know it's not Manhattan, but still...)

Cons
(1) I guess most people drive to this inn, but if not, it's a bit far from the Stony Brook station. But the people at the reception told me that if there's somebody available, they can offer a ride to the station.
(2) Somehow the people at the restaurant weren't so nice... I was eating my breakfast (it's a buffet), and as soon as I finished my first round, they took my plate... I wasn't able to eat fruit or pastry... They did not even say "good morning" to me!
(3) As many other reviewers wrote, many rooms (probably Room # 1-6) are located directly above the (lively) tavern, so if you are sensitive to noise, and you want to sleep early, you might be bothered. I did not have a problem (I am never bothered by noise).
(4) Maybe he is just a cool guy, but the bartender was not too friendly (at least to me...)

All in all, I like the place. I think if you come to Stony Brook for a holiday, it's better to stay at a place with nice character, like this one, rather than staying at a faceless chain hotel. The place makes you feel like you are staying in the old cute town of Stony Brook. I wish people were a bit more friendly...

Room Tip: Not sure if it's feasible, but avoid Room 1-6 (those above the tavern) if you are sensitive to n...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Carrie B, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
Dear Mamber-M,

We are glad you enjoyed Stony Brook and Three Village Inn’s beautiful surroundings. The Stony Brook Village Shopping Center and Avalon Park are walking distance from Three Village Inn, while Stony Brook campus is just over two miles from our location.

Three Village Inn staff strives to make the Inn a warm and inviting place for everyone. I regret you felt that you did not receive attentive service from the breakfast server and bartender. We do take these comments seriously, as our goal is to ensure all guests receive exceptional customer service.

Thank you for your review, we look forward to seeing you again!
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

We stayed in a Brewsters cottage that was overlooking the harbor. The room was very nice and had plenty of space. There was a sitting area in the front and then farther back was the sleeping area and the fireplace. Everything in the room was in good shape. The shower was very nice and the bathroom was spacious too. The service at their restaurant was a little bit slow. The breakfast at the restaurant in the morning was not the greatest. There was a pretty limited selection and it was not the best quality food. The location is pretty good. It is close to the Stony Brook college and the surroundings are pretty.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Carrie B, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Dear Charlottelakes,

I am really happy to hear you enjoyed a relaxing stay at Three Village Inn.

A hot breakfast is cooked fresh every morning with items such as: French toast, sausage, eggs, bacon, and home fries. For guests who prefer something lighter, we also offer a variety of cereal options, pastries, fruit, and yogurt.

Thank you for your comments and feedback; we hope to see you again soon!
Cambridge, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

We stayed in the main house unknowingly above the tavern. Big mistake! The noise was too much for a good night's sleep. The room was extremely cramped as well. After the first night we asked to be move. They were nice enough to put us in a cottage that faced the marina. What a difference!! It was roomy, beautiful and above all quiet. Other things to be wary of: the breakfast was very basic and just ok, cell phone coverage is spotty, the coffee makers in the rooms were barely functioning. Other things to look forward to: the location of the cottage was great with a nice view, the tavern was fun for a nightcap, and there is a nice walk to a forest preserve nearby. Overall - if I needed to visit the university again, I would stay there but only in a cottage and only if the university is paying!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Carrie B, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this review, February 26, 2012
Thank you for your comments and feedback from your recent stay at Three Village Inn. The room reserved for you by the university was a historic room in our main house. We apologize that it was an unusually busy weekday and it was an inconvenience to you. We were happy to be able to upgrade you in one of our cottage rooms, and were glad the comforts of the Master Suite room style suited you better.

We are glad you enjoyed your complimentary welcome drink in our tavern bar. Cell phone service in the Stony Brook area is always an issue. We installed a cell phone signal repeater service to help guests get better cell phone reception. In regards to the breakfast, Three Village Inn serves a complimentary breakfast in the morning that consists of either a hot breakfast buffet or an ala carte menu to order from.

On your next visit to the university, I would be more than happy to assist you, or the department that arranges your stay, in reserving a room style that you find comfortable by calling me directly at 631.751.0555.
Babylon, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

We have stayed at thTVI many times in the past, but this is our 1st visit under the new ownership. This visit was a 1 nighter for New Years Eve. With a price tag of $300 plus tax and tip it was a very good deal. As usual we stayed in one of the cottages. Upon check in we were given a voucher for a drink in the Maribel Tavern, our dinner voucher and a warm wlecome. Entering the room we were greeted with a botlle of champaign(medium priced, not cheap) and a plate of chocolate covered strawberries. Dinner in the Maribel Tavern was excellent though a few surcharges on some items on the pre-fixe New Years Eve menu could have been avoided. The only downside is the breakfast that came with the package very holiday Inn lobby style. Overall great experience.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Hotel Indigo East End
Hotel Indigo East End
#3 of 7 in Riverhead
4.0 of 5 stars 367 reviews

Been to Three Village Inn? Share your experiences!