“Cute interior/exterior, some unfriendly people” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Three Village Inn

Save Saved
You added Three Village Inn to your Saves list
Three Village Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150 Main Street, Main St. on the Harbor, Stony Brook, NY 11790   |
Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Stony Brook
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Cute interior/exterior, some unfriendly people”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I stayed in the Three Village Inn for a night in April 2012. I visited Stony Brook for business. Pros and cons below:

Pros
(1) Beautiful and elegant exterior and interior decoration. Matches perfectly with the cute village.
(2) Next to the cute-looking mall. Convenient.
(3) Close to the trail in the Avalon park. Very nice walk!
(4) Although it was Tuesday, the pub of the hotel was very lively.
(5) (although not so difficult but...) very quiet.
(6) Reasonably priced (I know it's not Manhattan, but still...)

Cons
(1) I guess most people drive to this inn, but if not, it's a bit far from the Stony Brook station. But the people at the reception told me that if there's somebody available, they can offer a ride to the station.
(2) Somehow the people at the restaurant weren't so nice... I was eating my breakfast (it's a buffet), and as soon as I finished my first round, they took my plate... I wasn't able to eat fruit or pastry... They did not even say "good morning" to me!
(3) As many other reviewers wrote, many rooms (probably Room # 1-6) are located directly above the (lively) tavern, so if you are sensitive to noise, and you want to sleep early, you might be bothered. I did not have a problem (I am never bothered by noise).
(4) Maybe he is just a cool guy, but the bartender was not too friendly (at least to me...)

All in all, I like the place. I think if you come to Stony Brook for a holiday, it's better to stay at a place with nice character, like this one, rather than staying at a faceless chain hotel. The place makes you feel like you are staying in the old cute town of Stony Brook. I wish people were a bit more friendly...

Room Tip: Not sure if it's feasible, but avoid Room 1-6 (those above the tavern) if you are sensitive to n...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Carrie B, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
Dear Mamber-M,

We are glad you enjoyed Stony Brook and Three Village Inn’s beautiful surroundings. The Stony Brook Village Shopping Center and Avalon Park are walking distance from Three Village Inn, while Stony Brook campus is just over two miles from our location.

Three Village Inn staff strives to make the Inn a warm and inviting place for everyone. I regret you felt that you did not receive attentive service from the breakfast server and bartender. We do take these comments seriously, as our goal is to ensure all guests receive exceptional customer service.

Thank you for your review, we look forward to seeing you again!

95 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

We stayed in a Brewsters cottage that was overlooking the harbor. The room was very nice and had plenty of space. There was a sitting area in the front and then farther back was the sleeping area and the fireplace. Everything in the room was in good shape. The shower was very nice and the bathroom was spacious too. The service at their restaurant was a little bit slow. The breakfast at the restaurant in the morning was not the greatest. There was a pretty limited selection and it was not the best quality food. The location is pretty good. It is close to the Stony Brook college and the surroundings are pretty.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Carrie B, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Dear Charlottelakes,

I am really happy to hear you enjoyed a relaxing stay at Three Village Inn.

A hot breakfast is cooked fresh every morning with items such as: French toast, sausage, eggs, bacon, and home fries. For guests who prefer something lighter, we also offer a variety of cereal options, pastries, fruit, and yogurt.

Thank you for your comments and feedback; we hope to see you again soon!
Cambridge, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

We stayed in the main house unknowingly above the tavern. Big mistake! The noise was too much for a good night's sleep. The room was extremely cramped as well. After the first night we asked to be move. They were nice enough to put us in a cottage that faced the marina. What a difference!! It was roomy, beautiful and above all quiet. Other things to be wary of: the breakfast was very basic and just ok, cell phone coverage is spotty, the coffee makers in the rooms were barely functioning. Other things to look forward to: the location of the cottage was great with a nice view, the tavern was fun for a nightcap, and there is a nice walk to a forest preserve nearby. Overall - if I needed to visit the university again, I would stay there but only in a cottage and only if the university is paying!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Carrie B, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this review, February 26, 2012
Thank you for your comments and feedback from your recent stay at Three Village Inn. The room reserved for you by the university was a historic room in our main house. We apologize that it was an unusually busy weekday and it was an inconvenience to you. We were happy to be able to upgrade you in one of our cottage rooms, and were glad the comforts of the Master Suite room style suited you better.

We are glad you enjoyed your complimentary welcome drink in our tavern bar. Cell phone service in the Stony Brook area is always an issue. We installed a cell phone signal repeater service to help guests get better cell phone reception. In regards to the breakfast, Three Village Inn serves a complimentary breakfast in the morning that consists of either a hot breakfast buffet or an ala carte menu to order from.

On your next visit to the university, I would be more than happy to assist you, or the department that arranges your stay, in reserving a room style that you find comfortable by calling me directly at 631.751.0555.

Travelers are raving about these Stony Brook hotels

Babylon, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

We have stayed at thTVI many times in the past, but this is our 1st visit under the new ownership. This visit was a 1 nighter for New Years Eve. With a price tag of $300 plus tax and tip it was a very good deal. As usual we stayed in one of the cottages. Upon check in we were given a voucher for a drink in the Maribel Tavern, our dinner voucher and a warm wlecome. Entering the room we were greeted with a botlle of champaign(medium priced, not cheap) and a plate of chocolate covered strawberries. Dinner in the Maribel Tavern was excellent though a few surcharges on some items on the pre-fixe New Years Eve menu could have been avoided. The only downside is the breakfast that came with the package very holiday Inn lobby style. Overall great experience.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

First of all, before Ii get into writing how terrific our stay and everything else about Three Village Inn is, I need to set things straight. If you are looking for your Marriott, or your modern hotel, this is not the place for you. What Three Village IS, is a quaint, charming, adorable, old, totallly-full-of-character, delightful place to stay.
We stayed here this weekend for a family wedding. This was THE perfect place. The wedding was not a large wedding, nor was it small. It was a nice sized wedding and Three Village Inn handled every need and nuance perfectly. We stayed in the cottages. The cottages reminded me of old timey bungalows in upstate NY. Our room, although not huge was a good size. The bed was extremely comfortable, as was the bathroom. There was sufficient room for all our clothes and belongings. The hot water worked wonderfully. The heat in the room was strong and took the Fall chill out. Every member of our family who stayed in the cottages was extremely happy. We were happy with our rooms and we were even more happy that we were steps away from the wedding reception--which meant nobody had to drive!
Now for the reception. We went into the main building for the reception. In the front of the building is the reception area. To the right is a lovely sitting room with a working fireplace and very comfortable furnishings. There is a stairway leading to the rooms. To the left of the reception area is where we had the cocktail hour. To the front of the reception area is a huge bar and a restaurant to the back of that. OK. So we get to the cocktail hour and we had two really nice mature men who served as our bartenders. These guys had their work cut out for them because my side of the family (brides) are Irish. We put new meaning to the words "Cocktail hour" and our glasses were always filled quite happily. The food for the cocktail hour blew all of us away. This was not your usual dried out food. We had a guy serving lamb and pork roast at his station. The meat was cooked perfectly and served with two very flavorful sauces. We also had a wonderful paella, the groom's family, who is latino, raved about the paella, so I knew it really was great. Chock full of huge shrimp and sausage, it did not dissappoint. Penne in a vodka sauce was served (I had to watch my carb intake so I did not have that), and everyone had favorable reviews of it. Then there was this other pasta and sausage dish that was so decadent and rich and delicious, I went off my low-carb, promise and ended up with three servings. In the next room was more seating and a huge assortment of crudites, excellent cheeses and a variety of sausage. In addition to all this, we had servers walking around with seared tuna--of which was the best I've ever had. P.E.R.F.E.C.T. Scallops wrapped in bacon, clams casino, salmon...and oh boy, I can't even remember it all because the food was non-stop. I had to force myself to stop eating so I would have room for dinner.
After the hour, we headed into the main reception room for the par-tay!! Thank goodness my family is totally nuts and we danced for four hours. I'm not kidding. We danced all the calories off. In between we sat down to a dinner, that really blew our minds. Get this--our choices were Chateaubriand, Duck breast, Shrimp Risotto. However, the meal began with a mushroom confit sorta thingy wrapped in a puff-pastry envelope. It was great. Next was a caesar salad. It was wonderful to have a flavorful caesar salad instead of the usual wedding salad of iceberg lettuce, hot house tomato, a slice of onion and bad dressing. I had the Chateaubriand and asked for it very rare--and I received it that way. How could you NOT love a place that serves red meat the way it should be served. R.E.D.--not brown. Those who had the duck raved about it and those who had the risotto had the same to say. My fiance had to finish my meal because I was full from the cocktail hour. What a piggy I can be at times. The meat was served withe creamy mashed potatoes and perfectly done haricort vert. Dessert was a chocolate cake--so moist and covered in a whipped cream frosting that was perfect--not too sweet. We also had little cakes, pastries and such that were also wonderful. You know--most of the weddings I've been to have the usual fare--rubbery chicken breast and prime rib that is cooked to shoe-leather quality. It was a joy to go to a reception where some thought and care actually went into the menu. I shoulda knows--the head chef, Guy, is from France and he has a great side-chef and the staff is just wonderful.
The people at the reception desk are amiable, and nice and friendly and very accomodating.
After the reception most of the family was hanging out at the bar area which had live music.
All-in all, I would recommend Three Village Inn, not just for weddings and parties, but for a nice romantic weekend getaway. Port Jeff is such a quaint town and the setting is just lovely.
As James Brown would say "Get on the Good Foot"...and Three Village Inn IS on the good foot!
Thanks 3VI! You made our familes very happy this weekend!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the cottage.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Easton, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

I recently stayed at the Three Village Inn from 10/25-10/28/2011. The company I work for gets a group rate and are normally booked in the cottage rooms. When I arrived I was placed in a room directly above the tavern. The first night was fine, the walls are very thin and I could hear a few squeaks of the hardwood and the neighbors tv, but nothing major.
On the second night, there was pretty loud music coming from the tavern. It actually sounds like the music is playing directly into the room. I could hear individual conversations coming from the bar.
The third night, that one was awful. Keep in mind this is a Thursday night, not a weekend, and this hotel knew I was here on business when they put me in this room. There was a loud, live (not to mention not overly talented) band that was playing when I arrived back from work (11:00pm). At 11:45, I called the front desk to ask when they would be stopping the music, he replied midnight. He said "I can move you to a cottage (shouldve been there anyways), but they are about to leave and Im sure you dont wanna move now". So, I declined. The band continued til 12:20am and the bar noise was incredible, so I went to the front desk and ask to be moved. So, here I am at 12:35, having to wake up the next am at 5:30, walking outside in 38 degree weather/wind, around the back to the cottages.
I did receive an "I'm sorry".
One suggestion to hotel- Don't place people in these rooms that are here on business travel! I understand that there is a busy tavern here, so choose placement wisely.

Room Tip: Don't stay in main house if here for business.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Chambersburg, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights at Three Village Inn in a room booked for us by friends who live in the area & could not accommodate us at home. There is certainly a lot of charm to the inn, but it comes at a price. Our room (#6) was up a very narrow stairway, and there was no offer of help with our bags. The room itself was lovely, w/a nice sitting area. The bathroom was another story. The shelf which was the only place to store toiletries was broken, such that anything you put on it would roll or slide to the floor. The sliding shower enclosure dates back at least 50 years & was so dysfunctional I was afraid I was going to be trapped in the shower & unable to get out. The pink and black tile decor was another giveaway as to the age of the place. Our room was directly above the inn's tavern, and on both nights (Fri. & Sat.) the live music and crowd roar was so loud that sleep was not possible until they quit. (midnight?) So, buyer beware!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Carrie B, Manager at Three Village Inn, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Dear Joan1008,

I am sorry to hear you had an unpleasant experience at Three Village Inn. While our goal is to ensure that all guests have a pleasant experience, I want to thank you for bringing this personal experience to our attention. We strive to keep the history Three Village Inn offers to the Stony Brook area and have made some updates and renovations to our bathrooms. I want to thank you for your feedback and would personally like to welcome you back- feel free to contact me directly at 631-751-0555 and I can arrange for you to stay in one of our newly renovated cottages. Again, thank you for your feedback, and we hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back.

Been to Three Village Inn? Share your experiences!