“Best-kept secret in New York City” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Victorian Villa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Staten Island
Victorian Villa
You added Victorian Villa to your Saves list
206 Daniel Low Terrace, Staten Island, NY 10301   |
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Best-kept secret in New York City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

I almost don't want to write a review of the Victorian Villa, because I want to keep this best kept secret for myself! However, Neil and Linda were so nice and so accommodating...
The Victorian Villa is just a hop, skip, and a FREE ferry ride away from Manhattan! The neighborhood feels safe and there's ample free parking in summertime.
I was surprised and delighted by the welcoming courtyard that opens up after a winding path against the side of the formidable-looking house. To stay in the loft, you climb up a flight of steps to a small but comfortable balcony porch. The lovely loft bedroom sits atop the house like a refuge from the world, and the porch provides plenty of room to catch a stray breeze and enjoy a nice breakfast, which I made in the functional little kitchen. I was there with my son during the last week of July, in the middle of a heat wave, but the loft bedroom was always cool and comfortable. The size was also perfect for the two of us.
Whenever I needed anything or had any questions, Linda and Neil were a phone call away. We enjoyed an affordable vacation exploring the city and the surrounding beaches – including Staten Island’s own beautiful boardwalk and the historic battery buildings that used to protect the bay and city; located just below the magnificent Verranzano Narrows Bridge!
I highly recommend Victorian Villa, but I hope they keep the loft bedroom available for me….

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Loriol-du-Comtat, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

Good and not very expensive place to discover New York (ferry not very far Staten Island)
Well reception on behalf of the owners; they are nice and offers you easily their help. A small effort on the general cleanliness would really be has to make to heighten the servicesperformances!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

We rented two apartments at Victorian Villas for a month while working on a project in lower Manhattan. The location was perfect - a short walk to the Ferry, that free boat ride to and from work, and a short walk to the project site. The apartments were great: a one bedroom on the second floor and a studio in the back of the house, both facing the private garden. Our apartment was charming, spotless and outfitted with everything we needed for an extended stay, including a washer/dryer, very comfortable queen bed and a full equipped kitchen. Parking on the street was free, safe and plentiful - we never had a problem. And the owners were informative, responsive and very respectful of our privacy. All in all, this was the best part of our month in NYC. As native New Yorkers, and long time Manhattan residents, we had had some doubts about Staten Island. But the neighborhood is lovely and chock full of everything that we needed, from groceries and a Saturday famers' market to good restaurants, even one great one - Enoteca Maria. No more overpriced NYC hotels for us - we'll be coming back to Victorian Villa! It was a wonderful place to stay at a very reasonable price, the best deal I've found in the city.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

European charm with easy distance to Staten Island Ferry, well maintained and well kept

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

If it weren't for Neil's Victorian Villas in Staten Island, I don't know if we could've afforded the vacation to not only see relatives on Long Island but sightsee in Manhattan. Hotels can be outrageously priced. In fact, we weren't going to go because of the expensiveness of the hotels in the city. Then, my husband Eddie discovered Victorian Villas. We found the apartment like a home away from home, filled with every accommodation we could hope for from a coffeemaker, air conditioning and clean bathroom, to a fully stocked pantry, more than enough places to sleep (and it was just me, my husband and our son, 7) and a miniature oven to reheat those cheese pizzas. Neil and Linda's hospitality was also a welcome surprise. We recommended this place to a few friends and would go back again.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

We stayed for a week in the same room as sampchicago. He/she must have thought they rented a Villa for $800/day. There was work going on all around the house and tools in sight when we were there. I found it all very interesting. It was a lot less intrusive than the fancy hotels I've stayed in recently for conventions where whole floors were being renovated and elevator service was spotty at best. It's a clean roomy space that more than satisfied our needs. The treetop level of this room made us feel like Swiss Family Robinson. If I was staying a month I might prefer a room with a real stove but the one burner was fine for boiling water or frying an egg. The easy walk to the Ferry gives you a chance to enjoy the neighborhood and get the legs ready for Manhatten. The 25 min FREE ferry ride is a good time for a cat nap or to study your maps and finish planning your day in THE CITY. The price is great and makes me dream of a month long stay some time in the future. Don't miss neighborhood restaurants for great ethnic foods and low prices.

• Liked — Walking distance to the Stat Is Ferry
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2008

I was moved to write this review while still in the middle of a month-long stay at the Victorian Villa. I will likely update this space with further glowing remarks, or make a separate entry, on the sad occasion of my stay's end. The internet recommended the Victorian Villa to me as a place to stay while looking for a permanent home in it's lovely St. George neighborhood of Staten Island. I visited the property and was immediately charmed by the owner who kindly insisted on collecting me from the ferry terminal in a luxurious imported convertible sports car. I was shown three apartments to choose from and moved without a moment's hesitation into the garden loft, which I have come to call "my treehouse." This spacious studio with private entrance, separate sleeping and sitting areas, fully equipped kitchenette, spotless (the whole place was impeccably clean, btw) white tile full bath, and working fireplace felt immediately like home from the moment I put my bags down. I was completely spoiled by the private tiled terrace (while sitting on which, one is surrounded by treetops and birdsong, and overlooking the beautifully kept shared garden area of the Villa) furnished comfortably with outdoor dining and sitting areas and a clean and easy-to-use gas grill. The quality and tastefulness of all of the furnishings, linens, accessories, and appliances throughout the apartment are really remarkable. The owner, manager, caretaker, and even the other guests, of the Villa felt practically like family within a day, and collectively manage to strike the perfect balance between chummy inclusion and respectful privacy. I have never felt lonely when I've fancied a chat, and I've never been bothered when I would have preferred solitude.
I work in Lower Manhattan and the short walk from the Villa to the free ferry is a pleasure. One 20-minute boatride later, I am in the Financial District, three blocks from my office. A tourist debarking this same ferry would find himself in one of Manhattan's most historic neighborhoods and poised to take on the whole city with countless public and private transportation options right there.
I heartily recommend the Victorian Villa to anyone at all with any New York City lodging needs whatsoever.

• Liked — Tasteful, high-quality furnishings. Location. Free WiFi.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Victorian Villa? Share your experiences!