“nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
atlanta
“nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Had a lovely room. Staff was very nice and helpful at all requests. Had drinks at the bar never ate at the restaurant. If I returned to Staten Island, I would stay here because it was a pleasant experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

When I first tried to make a reservation I was put on hold many times. They finally gave me my e mail confirmation which I asked for 2 nites and all I got was one nite. Once again I had to call back and it took a very long time for someone to come to the phone. Reservations was not there strong point.
My boyfriend and I were there for a wedding so we got there on Friday night, the staff was very welcoming and accommodating. You walk into a very inviting lobby with a fireplace. We went down to the lobby common area on Friday night they had drinks and dancing, so much fun! Sat morning we went down for breakfast at 11:15, didn't realize they were only open till 11:00am. But they were very accommodating and the chef was still there and made us omelets, pancakes what ever we wanted. The price was not bad at all either.
Everyone from the waitstaff to housekeeping were very friendly. Housekeeping were wonderful, you would see them in the morning and they would ask if you needed anything.
Sat night was the wedding which was great. From the cocktail hour to the desserts. Everyone had a great time!!! I would definitely revisit this hotel. VERY CLEAN!
The club "Above" is very nice, but very "Jersey Shore" if you know what I mean. :)

Room Tip: We had to problem with our room as far as cleanliness and sound, except the dog that was next door t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I have stayed here twice in the past two months and I am conflicted about writing a bad review, especially since the owners of this hotel graciously housed victims of Hurricane Sandy (and still do, as of this writing). Nevertheless, it is undoubtedly one of most poorly maintained properties I have ever visited. And I have the pictures that prove it. Pictures that show mold growing in the ice machine, pubic hair on (supposedly) clean towels, coffee spilled on walls, (unknown) stains on furniture, cigarette burns on a toilet seat and a workout facility with equipment worn down to the metal. (Yes, I shared this photos with hotel management and got absolutely no response.)

The last room I stayed in (521) was so disgusting, I had to clean the window with a washcloth before I could touch it to open it. (It was coated with something slimey and greasy. I just hope it was food.) I mean, am I the only person who notices these things? (The hotel has opened a wing with new rooms, but I have not stayed in those.)

Chipped furniture, stained carpeting and blood on the pillows aside (yeah, I have a picture of that too), this hotel has a severe personality disorder. You think it's your run-of-the mill Hilton, right? When in fact, it serves various other, odd purposes. The hotel apparently has a multi-million-dollar contract with the military, and every week recruiters drop off their recruits for a last night of, I don't know, fun?, before they are shipped off to boot camp at 5 a.m. the next morning. (I witnessed this myself, so I know it's true.) As a result, the elevators and lobby and workout room can be jammed with testosterone, for lack of a better term, and it can be disconcerting if you are a woman traveling alone. In can be downright scary, in fact.

For the record, I saw one Army recruiter 'signing in' one of his recruits, who was told the rules of the hotel -- no drinking, in bed by 10, no girls in the room. Off the record, I was told that complaints of loud partying and drinking are common. And if you think it sounds strange for the military to house recruits at the Hilton Garden Inn, I'm gonna have to agree with you. I don't get it. I don't get it at all.

So is this a hotel for someone traveling on business? (Because it is located in a large business park.) Or is it appropriate for a family who wants a cheap alternative to expensive Manhattan hotels? (Although at more than $200 a night, it's not that cheap.) Or is this a hotel for last-harrah military recruits? Or is it something else altogether? Because every week, the hotel hosts parties in the lobby, with live music and enormous crowds. (One night, I tried to order a piece of cake from room service and was told it would take an hour because of the crowds.) And now the owners have added a rooftop nightclub, which I am told drew an unsavory group during its first weekend, including physical altercations and the police.

So that leaves you with a dirty hotel that can't decide if it should cater to your basic traveler, the military, or the local Staten Island crowd out to party and drink (never mind the huge catering business the hotel also does).

On the plus side, the restaurant is nice, the food is pretty good and the hotel staff is lovely. They try really hard, but there's only so much they can do. Sometimes, they can't even hear the phone ring at the front desk over the noise of the band off the lobby.

Also, be aware that the free shuttle service requires an advance reservation (and from my multiple experiences, always ran from 15 to 45 minutes late for pickup). Also be aware that room service is only available between 5 and 10 p.m., and that the pool is open very limited hours (sometimes only between 5 and 10 p.m.).

Room Tip: Ask for one of the new rooms, but check about the noise level from the nightclub because I think the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Jewela A, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Staten Island, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear KathyAnne0,

We sincerely apologize for your poor experience staying with us recently. We are sorry you were disappointed in the quality of our accommodations and assure you your concerns have been shared with our housekeeping and maintenance teams who will work to improve the look and feel of our rooms and common areas moving forward. We know how important a clean and comfortable environment is while traveling and regret this was not your impression.

In regards to noise and disturbances caused by other guests, our security team has precautionary measures in place to control these instances and is always looking out for the best interest of all of our guests. We apologize if our clientele made you uncomfortable and assure you your safety is our top priority. We appreciate your understanding as we work with our community in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy and welcome you stay with us again when the situation has settled and we have had a chance to resume business as usual including our ongoing renovations. We welcome any additional comments or suggestions and look forward to having you back and showing you the quality service and stay you deserve the next time you are in the area.

Jewela Anova
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I loved this hotel, but the front desk staff needs some customer-relations training. I was so frustrated with one of the staff telling us they would do something, only to come back from a 12 hour work day to find the night staff knew nothing about our talk earlier in the day. This happened 3 days in a row, until someone finally got the issue worked out. The hotel property is lovely, the restaurant and the bar area are very nice. The made-to-order omlets in the morning were a terrific treat. I would recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Suffolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I have stayed here two years in a row for travel associated with work. This hotel is superior to similarly priced hotels and the staff is warm and accommodating. They remembered me from last year!! In a good way. The rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable. The restaurant, Lorenzo's, has excellent food with great service. I will definitely be back as you have set the bar high with quality. Love, Love, Love this place!

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the elevator
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This isn't your standard HGI. The hotel has an excellent restaurant and a very attractive bar, more in common with a very sophisticated property. It has also added a new wing, with great rooms and very hip night club on the top floor that has views of Manhattan. Not that you'd want to be outside during the winter, but for the summer the club has outside seating that should be real fun. There's also ball rooms for big occasions. The hotel has a decent business center, minimalist but good work out room, and a pool with a hot tub.
Service was outstanding. The front desk responded immediately to my request for a room change (wanted one not directly facing freeway, a little of a view) and check-in was easy and pleasant. Nice breakfast offered with cooked to order food or a buffet.
The rooms are in good shape and large. Mine had a good desk with internet connection, a nice sized television and wonderful bed (what makes Hilton properties stand out). Coffee maker included which made waking up a bit easier.
The property is about 15 minutes from Newark Airport and is much nicer than the airport properties, which are a bit run down. It is in a really well-kept office park that has an organic coffee house (owned by the hotel owner) whose profits are donated to charity. Now that is different.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floor room. 6th floor was very quiet, mid-hall.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My Daughter got married in July of this year and had her reception at Nicotra's Ballroom at the Hilton Garden Inn, Staten Island, NY. We chose this hotel because we are native islanders and our families mostly live in this community. Well...this event exceeded our expectations on many levels. The bridal suite that was included with the wedding was lovely with touches for the bride and groom that were simply great (piece of wedding cake brought up to room after event) etc.
The cocktail hour was exceptional, our guests were overwhelmed by the quality of food and the many hot and cold choices, all taking place in the Trevi Garden Room, which is a tented room with an outside feeling. The food and service at the wedding itself was everything we expected and more! The fish was fresh, steaks were succulent and our guests talked about how wonderful this was for weeks. In addition, the bride and groom had a ball.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Garden Inn New York/Staten Island? Share your experiences!