“Great price!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Navy Lodge New York

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Staten Island
Navy Lodge New York
408 N. Path Rd., Staten Island, NY 10305   |
Texas
“Great price!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is definitely older, in need of updating. It is clean and comfortable. If you can stay in the city, please do. The ferry ride to Manhattan is fun maybe the first two times, but it really adds a good hour commuting between the ferry wait time, the ferry ride and then the subway or bus commute into the main part. We simply couldn't afford any lodging in the city so we picked Navy Lodge. All and all, convenient to ferry and great price for area.
There are complementary muffins and coffee in the morning between 6-9.

• Stayed March 2013

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

If you are not a picky person and are just looking for a cheap, clean, and comfy place to stay...this is for you! Yes it is an older Navy Lodge, but we enjoyed it as it was just a place for us to sleep and shower. There were 3 adults and 1 dog in my party. The actual city can be overwhelming so it was actually nice to stay on Staten Island as it is way more peaceful and quiet. The room had a good size fridge and a 2 burner stove and microwave. You cannot beat the 93 bucks a nite for NY! Although, I think the rates maybe going up beginning Sept 2012, but call hotel directly as I'm not 100% sure of that. As one review mentioned, this really isn't a "base" so don't freak out when the gate guard just takes a quick glance at your mil ID and then waves you on. They do however have a small fitness center with an MWR office inside the same bldg so buy discount tickets to some attractions etc. I do recommend buying the weekly unlimited subway/metro card for 30 bucks at the MWR office. We got lost a couple of times on the subway so it helps to not have to pay an additional 2 or 3 bucks for wasted subway trip. The unlimited card also includes unlimited MTA bus trips in the city which is nice after a long day of walking. The front desk staff was very nice and helpful. If you plan on stocking up the fridge in your room go to cvs pharmacy on bay st or to the Top Tomato super store on bay st. They have a ton of locally owned deli places on bay street, but they don't have a good variety and they seem more expensive. The Top Tomato was the closest grocery store that we found. We really enjoyed the daily ferry ride to the city. It's 7 bucks to park at the Ferry terminal and the actual ferry is free. Be sure to take advantage of the free parking lot shuttle if you park far. On the ferry you have the opportunity to take some great pics of the Statue of Liberty, so that right there will save you some $$ if you just want pics of Lady Liberty, but don't want to pay to take the tour of Ellis Island. Once you get off of the ferry in NYC, take the train that says 1 with a red circle around it. That will take you to times square and all the main attractions. I believe you have to get off at 42nd street stop on subway for times sq. Don't be scared to ask locals for directions etc. Most of the ones we talked to were very helpful. I will definitely be returning to this Navy Lodge if I'm ever in the area again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

My family stayed there in July 2011. Two adults and three kids, 14, 10, and 9 years old. A rollaway was provided. The bottom line, this is a lower end Navy Lodge, a very old and need of updating in all of the rooms. From what I understand, the Navy Lodge took this over as a "need" only situation for local military. Its an old building located with the Coast Guard right there on the "base". When I use the word "base", I use that term lightly. Its more of a historic site or mini base. It was safe.
There is a Coast Guard mini exchange right there with everything you need, just a mini mart. The location of the base was great. Your about ten minutes to the ferry which takes you to lower Manhattan. The ferries are free, parking was about 5 dollars. Once in NYC, you will want to take the red line (train) to get to the main attractions, such as time square, Rockerfeller Center, and so on. There is a MWR close by the Lodge which was real helpfull. You can buy tickets and train passes there, and I highly suggest you do. They did a great job explaining things and offering advice to us. There is a galley on base which is nice, but be prepared for some rude service. I get the felling they really dont want travelers like us there.
The rooms where about 90 dollars a night which I understand is great for the area. Outside the base, down a couple miles is a couple miles are some good pizza places. I ate at both of them, the pizza was good and at a good price.
I would stay there again, but if your picky, have a plan B.

Staunton, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

This hotel worked out perfect for us. It was easy to take the ferry across and get on the subway to go wherever we wanted. It we got a good hotel for the right amount of money.

Mountain Time
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

We stayed at the Navy Lodge Staten Island on a recent NYC trip. It is not a luxury hotel, but it was a fine for a place to sleep after a long day of touristing. The drive to the ferry took us about 15 minutes and another 5 - 10 minutes to park and get to the terminal. My children really enjoyed the ferry ride and it gave us a chance to see the Statue of Liberty. We would definitely stay here again, but next time we plan to also stay at least one night in Manhattan. If you are simply looking for an inexpensive place to sleep, this is the place for you.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

The Navy Lodge is bare bones but great value! It is only a short drive to the ferry which has a huge parking lot and the ferry of course is a free way into the city. The drive from the Lodge to the ferry is about a 5-10 minute drive or about $10 ride by taxi.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

This place is really in a great location, but I was beyond disappointed for the typical quality of a Navy Lodge. Usually this means some sort of standard (akin to a marriott courtyard). This lodge, while nicely decorated, and very spacious, was the worst smelling room I have ever been in in my entire life. I asked to switch rooms, which they could not do becuase they were booked. Yet, when I checked in they had plenty of rooms, this is the one they chose to give ME. I would have checked out if I had any alternatives lined up at 9 at night. The front desk staff provided a fan and lysol, but that will not get rid of mold.

The PROS: free continental breakfast with great coffee, nice staff. Managment comped my room 50%. Great views of the Verazzano bridge, distant NYC views, and wonderful old fort to explore and take pictures.

bottom line: for a bit more money you have to stay elsewhere (try Jersey City) and just visit the lodge grounds to get the views of the bridge. The mold MUST go.

Room Tip: check in early and insist you get a room that is mold free.