“Great Stay for the $$! Convenient to Bus & Ferry, Excellent View!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Harbor House

You added The Harbor House to your Saves list
The Harbor House
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1 Hylan Boulevard, Staten Island, NY 10305   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
McMinnville, Tennessee
“Great Stay for the $$! Convenient to Bus & Ferry, Excellent View!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

We made a fast and furious trip from Southwest Virginia to NYC and knew that we wanted as much as possible for the 2 days we would be there. This allowed us to see the Statue of Liberty (4x), relax going into the city and definitely sit back and enjoy the trip back to our room. Room was fair, It was a bed & bath. Not sure what anyone else needs after a busy day in the city. Molly was so helpful in making certain we caught the right bus and trains. She hand drew a map and also gave me a pocket map to carry into the city. Yeah, the breakfast could use a bump up and I hope she will do that, if she did it would really help people feel like they are getting first class treatment. Some fresh fruit would be nice, perhaps a variation of cereal or even packs of oatmeal would be a +. Otherwise this was affordable, convenient, comfortable and a very pleasant stay for us! We will look forward to staying here on our return visit to NYC. Happy Travels to anyone headed to New York!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Baltimore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

I agree with the other reviewers that the view of the harbor is nice, the proximity to the Ferry is good and parking is convenient and free. True, you will never find this in Manhattan. However, I disagree that this place is such a great value for what is offered. The house is in dire need of repair in many areas. Note several reviews mentioning things that were broken or not working. See attached photo of the windowsill and bathroom floor of our room, for just a few examples of the unkempt, non-maintained state of the place. Also, there was no heat on the cool night we were there and it got so cold during the night, I had to get up to put on sweats over my pj's.

The fact that the manager had us wait 5 minutes while she vacuumed our room (we arrived later than check-in time) made me wonder when and if the rest of it had been cleaned. The hallway smelled of a combination of curry and urine. The bedclothes had a strong floral smell that I worried could be bug spray Febreeze, not laundry soap.

For even a low (for NY) $130 a night I expect the building to be intact and not look like everything in the house was donated by somebody cleaning out their old dorm room or grandmother's basement. A chair in our room had an old crocheted coverlet thrown over it; all the curtains and covers were old, worn, ugly and mismatched. I also don't think it's too much to ask for a towel and a bar of soap -- you have to bring your own!
It's more like staying in a YMCA or youth hostel than a B & B, but at B & B price.
I think whoever owns this place is riding on the location and - as another reviewer said - will just keep letting it go down until people stop putting up with it.
I wish we had spent the extra $80 and stayed at the Hampton, even though it is farther from the ferry and doesn't have the view. At least everything is well-maintained and clean.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2009

We spent 3 nights there, it's a very reasonably priced alternative to anywhere in Manhattan and it's location adds some adventure to your visit. Beautiful view across the harour to south Manhattan which can be enjoyed from the porch if your room faces the back. Finding it and free parking was no problem. Room was small but comfortable. No problem with the shared bathroom but this might be different in peak season. Would strongly suggest buying a 24 hr transit pass, it got us to the ferry terminal ( amazingly the ferry to Manhattan is free ) and all around New York each day for about $8.00. The bus is packed with school kids in the morning but not a problem. The ferry ride each day is also a nice trip. Would suggest showering in the evening as the hot water does run out in the morning - also make use of the in-room basin as much as possible.The breakfast is basic, certainly not a full hot breakfast ( coffee, tea, toast jam, croissants, bagels) but it's OK to get you going - save your appetite for NYC restaurants.Overall the area is safe and Molly is a great host, If you want a reasonably priced B&B with easy access to NYC and a bit of adventure getting there, I'd recommend it.

Peter

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

We had a car and it was nice to have free parking!! Stayed on 2nd floor and had fun watching the shipping come and go. We liked walking around the neighborhood and shopping at the ethnic supermarket. Mollie can recommend some good restaurants too. Breakfast: I really tired of the orange drink in stead of real juice, generic corn flakes, and some toast or bagel. A few scrambled eggs and real juice would have really helped. The room we were in was small, the bed mattress was firm and we had a tiny bathroom. The toilet was loose but was quickly stabilized with some shims. Mollie said she was going to call the plumber. Not the ritz but a good value for NYC area. The little park across the street is nice to sit in and watch the water, but on the weekend nights that we were there people gathered and chatted and laughed until 4 AM ! Since our windows were open it was just enough sound to wake us off and on.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Tampa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

Me and my husband were traveling by car and we did not want to take it into Manhattan so Staten Island seemed good. We stayed at the Harbor House and have different feelings. The B&B is an older building with screeking floors etc., but cozy if you like it that way. We had the Verrazano room which was surprisingly big with an extra room just to sit in. The view is nice and it seemed like a quiet neighborhood. unfortunately the owner is a getting used too. The first day we arrived the streets were blocked because of a bike race which nobody told us of so we got not even park close to the B&B for a several hours. as well as she tried to be nice it seemed like there was never a good time to bother her with questions. She was not rude but i have stayed at more friendlier B&B.
The only downside. The busride is about 10 minutes and you have to add another 20 minutes on the ferry to get to downtown. usually they are both matching their timing, but if you need to get to the ferry and have many other stops your 10 minutes might add up to miss the ferry. So getting to Manhattan might easily take 45 minutes. This place is not a bad deal and if you pay cash you get 10% off but there might be better deals right in Manhattan or closer.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2008

We stayed here for 1 week at the beginning of October 2008. The best thing about this place is the uninterupted panoramic views of NY harbour and Manhatten Island. They are simply superb and you wont find better.

Getting the ferry each day was always as easy as it could be, the timing of the bus/ferry/subway meant streamlined traveling without any serious delays. Congrats to the authorities for getting this so right. And of course the ferry itself is free.

However, if you are going to spend most of your time in Manhatten then Queens or Brooklyn would be a much closer option.

A 7 day metro card is 35 dollars and works on the subway and buses. The ferry is free. So from Harbour House it is a 10 minute bus ride, a 25 minute ferry then straight into the subway for the red line or the Green line is a 2 minute walk - very easy, very cheap but it does become tedious after a while. A cab ride from Times square to Harbour House is 65 dollars plus that 18% tip.

On the subject of tips we find it incredible that they demand such a high amount where ever you go. Staff are very careful to tell you at payment time in cabs, restaurants exactly what size tip they expect. They will hover around you till they get it as well.

Harbour House itself is not much to write home about. The lady who runs it was OK. We found that if we made the extra effort she was accomodating. The food was basic but I only need a coffee and a slice of toast so it suited me.

The rooms were cleanish, and beds comfortable. The building is situated on a bend in the road and is incredibly noisy - BEWARE!

Take your own toilet paper - American paper is substandard, like cheap tissue paper.

There is a Dunkin Donut shop 1 block away and their breakfasts are superior the Harbour House.

Staten Island itself is a very poor relation to Manhatten.

Would I stay in Harbour House again? No

Would I stay on Staten Island again? No

People usually visit NY to see the attractions and to shop. ALL of this is on Manhatten island so my top tip is to save up your pennies and stay actually on Manhatten Island and never be more than a short subway ride to your bed.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Orlando fl.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2008

I'm moved out of Brooklyn NY. 23 years ago to orlando Fl. So it was time for me to get away alone and visit some friends that I have not seen in many years. I chose Habor house because it was told by a friend the area was very safe and quiet (my biggest concern) being I was alone. I loved the view from my room and the front porch it was peaceful- I really did not expect a whole lot for the price, although I did suggest some decor tips that would update the room I was in and it would not have cost them much to do.I only seen the owners in the morning and the breakfast was only ok if I was desperate.....I was mainly here for the rest and the food I miss so very much(pizza,bagels..... from a bagel place to bring home with me. The only thing was the day I was leaving Molly was not very friendly did not even say Hope you join us again. Well I have done some researching there are other B&B's in Staten Island that look a lot better and for the same price
I just have to find out about the area.

• Liked — The view and quietness
  • Disliked — The decor of my room
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Harbor House? Share your experiences!