“Only just worth the effort” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 21 Attractions in Staten Island
Type: Historic Sites, Museums, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: This recreated village has period buildings from the late 17th to the late 19th centuries.
Northampton, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
“Only just worth the effort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

Visited from Manhattan on the first Sunday in October. It takes 30 minutes on the Staten Island Ferry ( worth the trip in any case) and a further 35 - 40 minutes on the bus to the site. Museum was interesting but the guided tour was very amateurish. The guide was unable to answer many of the questions that the our group asked. It would be worth checking what activities/demonstrations are operating before your visit as there was nothing taking place on the date I visited. Opening hours are restricted.

Not worth making a special visit to see

Hong Kong, China
4 attraction reviews
“Hmmmmm... what can I say”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

We went one bright sunny February day - the bus dropped us off, really in the middle of nowhere and we walked around looking for some sort of office etc.. we found one - the sign said open. We went in and a man behind the counter said - 'sorry we are closed' - we explained the sign outside and he relented a bit. He said if we walked over the 'yonder' building someone would show us around. We thanked him and did just that - as we left he ran out and changed the sign to closed and when we got to the the 'yonder' building that was all locked up too. There was really nothing there in terms of a coffee shop etc.... and we ended up just walking down to the end and waiting for the bus to come back the other way! The buildings are lovely but really the 'hospitatlity' and advertisements were non- existance - perhaps its better in the summer. Perhaps the bus drivers could be more versed on opening hours etc.. they certainly could make more of this attraction. We did laugh about it - and enjoyed the bus ride, and meeting and listening to the locals who boarded the bus! But as for Historic Richmond Town - that could of been better!

bristol
4 attraction reviews
“Richmond Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

Wonderful afternoon. Sarah our guide brought it all alive for us. The best 5 dollars I have spent in a while

huck9771
“Wow. don't go in March”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

We just went to "Historic" Richmond Town, and wow, it was certainly historic. I figured that the last time another person had the same bright idea that I had and actually traveled to Staten Island and made his way to this "town," it was centuries ago - so that in itself is historic.

I did not see another living soul "experiencing" Historic Richmond Town. Rather, I did see many, many people drive past in their cars, but I did not see one tourist. Maybe that explains why none of the houses or shops were open. Let me be clear, I did this in late March, on a sunny day. It was a saturday at approximately 2:30 pm. I wasn't going at 7am on a tuesday morning in January, i was going when you'd expect maybe to see another person doing the same thing. Um, not so much.

I now can say with a moderate degree of certainty that thinking "I should go to 'Historic' Richmond Town today" was one of the dumber things that has crossed my mind in my adult life. When tour books tell you "don't bother with Staten Island," they are really trying to do you a favor.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2004

Every time we have out of town visiters, we take them to see the Village. Everyone ALWAYS has a great time there and enjoy the back to the good old days feeling.
The people working at the Village are always willing to answer guestion and really get into their roles.
My grandson just was very ingrossed with the carvings at the wood cutters house. He kept wanting to go back to see just how much work the man had done! LOL,