“Lovely place steps away from a beautiful town” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mainstay

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Southampton
Mainstay
579 Hill St., Southampton, NY 11969   |
Offers & Announcements
Discount $100 per night
Ranked #3 of 7 Southampton B&B and Inns
Astoria, New York
“Lovely place steps away from a beautiful town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This place was recommended by my girlfriend's co-worker...and it did not disappoint. This was our first ever bed and breakfast. Elizabeth was very accommodating from the onset. By the phone conversation alone I knew that this would be an enjoyable stay. Upon our arrival she offered us a major upgrade to our room simply because it was available...I didn't even ask for it or tell her that it was our 1 year anniversary.

Once she found out about our anniversary a complimentary bottle of wine with bucket, ice, and glasses came to our possession presently. Additionally, she offered excellent advice about exploring Southampton.

As for the premises, it was vibrant, clean, and cozy. The backyard provided a nice hangout for anyone wanting to share a drink or meal outdoors. But, nothing beats the salt-water pool...it felt amazing; very good size and well-maintained, too. The only thing that didn't go so well was the bathtub. We were hoping for a romantic soak but it kept leaking and we had to scratch the whole idea.

Cooper Beach nearby is pricey and on windy days not worth it.
Main street offers some excellent shopping with a very European flair. I felt that the restaurants nearby were overpriced [Red Door & Cafe Plaza]. Next time I plan on visiting we will try Saint Ambrose - it looked like a great dining experience and has very good gelato. The movie theatre at night was a pleasant surprise. The bright lights just had this wonderful feeling of spectacle.

If you plan on visiting Southampton I strongly recommend you try the Mainstay. It is very close and a fantastic value with an incredibly gracious host.

Room Tip: Gin Street Lane is a bit more money, but it comes with an additional room and a lot of space. It was...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay this weekend in the Gin Lane room. The room was just as I was hoping for in a Southampton B&B. It was very spacious and cozy and beautifully decorated. Great attention to detail. Elizabeth was very welcoming and warm. We enjoyed meeting other guests at breakfast and found the breakfast to be delicious. We particularly loved the fresh baked nut bread and fresh fruit. We wished the weather had been warmer to enjoy the beautiful pool. Overall we had a fantastic stay. I highly recommend Mainstay and I very much look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed May 2013
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I go for overnights in the hamptons a few times a year....i usually go to a b&b or an inn....if i had to rate the place based on the cost i would say not worth it , however , i know what lodging costs out there (im used to it) and i spend very little time in the room...im out shopping and lunching and wine tasting and meeting friends and having a nice dinner--for me --it was just fine--very close to southampton village --elizabeth was kind and welcoming...no complaints

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Mainstay was my residence for three consecutive summers while building my own home in the Hamptons. I looked forward to the wonderful breakfast, and Elizabeths fresh baked muffins and fresh fruit, along with meeting and chatting with the diverse array of guests each weekend.

I watched the garden evolve into a wonderful outdoor space that I could sit in the late afternoon and read, have a drink, and relax.

Mainstay is a home, warm and inviting, the opposite of the East End commercial establishments.

Room Tip: The large room with king bed and fireplace or the room across the hall - rear of the house
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

The Mainstay is a very nice B & B in Southampton, five minutes by car from the village. The grounds are very nice and it also has a swimming pool. The owner resides with her standard poodle Tallulah. Breakfast is simple but very nice, with fresh fruit and waffles. We had a huge room, I believe it was the Gin Lane, with a small adjacent room and a bathroom. It is really like a junior suite. The bathroom has an old fashioned bathtub which proved quite a challenge to me (I have had 4 hip surgeries). Southampton, in our opinion, is the prettiest of all the Hamptons. We visited Montauk, East Hampton, Bridgehampton and Sag Harbor which is also a very nice little town. We used the ferry to cross to Shelter Island. I hope all these lovely little towns did not suffer much damage recently during Sandy !!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Warrington, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Booked a room at the Mainstay last week; was really looking forward to it, as we have stayed in B & B's before. The grounds were nice; the house was in need of work. Shabby chic is one thing, but when the shower curtain is falling on you while you shower, and the open windows are full of cobwebs, someone needs to be doing some maintenance. For the price, we were expecting spotless--and exceptional breakfast; that DID NOT happen. We would not stay here again. The bath towels were so thin, I've cut up towels to use for dusting that were thicker.......sorry, but we were not impressed. And most inn keepers are very friendly; we didn't get that vibe at all.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Stayed here last weekend in the Gin Avenue room. Room had plenty of towels, soft bed, and sitting area. The room is huge, clean, with nice size bathroom w/ vanity, and a separate second room with twin day bed. Thee was a small tv with every channel you could imagine including all hbo and showtime channels. Nice size closet, beautiful landscaped yard, and a salt water pool. Elizabeth and her dog Tallulah are very friendly and make you feel welcomed. The location is less than a mile from main street. We walked one day and got to main street in 25 minutes. I didn't eat breakfast either mornings, but my friend said there was pastry, boiled eggs, juice, etc. Nothing like omelette or pancakes. I had an early morning swim and enjoyed. The house is very shabby chic which I love. My only complaint is that there are bugs EVERYWHERE! I'm a city girl and very screamish when it comes to spiders and stuff. There wasn't any roaches or anything like that. More like daddy long legs, silver long things in my bed, beetles, etc. Plus a mosquito that bit me all night long.

Room Tip: Get the Gin avenue room. It's HUGE!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Mainstay? Share your experiences!